What's new

Got me a new project!

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Really finished photos on page 9.

Progress pictures added on page 6. Finished photos on page 8.

Spent the day helping Grandma move and when all was said and done she had more furniture than could fit in her place. One item she was getting rid of was this beautiful phonograph cabinet built at the turn of the century. It's built like a tank with 1" solid panelling on all sides. I was lucky and she let me have it. My plans are to turn it into a humidor. I'm going to remove the existing shelf, line it with Spanish cedar and instal 3 pull-out drawers. I begin woodworking courses next week and I'm excited to get started on this project.

Jacob

Last edited:

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
WOW, just freakin WOW, what a great cabinet. The woodworking class will be a big help, if you have any questions, feel free to hollar.

Wade

Shmear

Megan the Great
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
OMG, that is so beautiful!!!! The color is just amazing! and the design... everything! Hahaha, great project. It's gonna be one hell of a humidor.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thanks guys! I'll certainly be posting here with many questions as I move forward with it. I think my first obstacle on the cabinet will be constructing the seal around the front door. I'm not sure what the best way to approach it is: rubber gasket, a wood seal, etc.?

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Damn, that is beautiful Jacob!

Do everything you can to perserve the original look, that will just make it even more special for you!

Of course, if you check around you might find that it is alot more valuable as is than turning it into a humidor my friend!

Rating - 100%
20   0   0

Of course, if you check around you might find that it is alot more valuable as is than turning it into a humidor my friend!
True... Granny said she paid over $600 for it and that was well over 15 years ago. But, I like the idea of turning a family heirloom into something special I can use. Flipping it doesn't seem right. It has a history of being used to store vices... Grandma used it to store her booze so it's only appropriate I use it for cigars. :rolling: The exterior will not be modified/restored in anyway. I'll only be messing with the inside.

Shmear

Megan the Great
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
True... Granny said she paid over $600 for it and that was well over 15 years ago. But, I like the idea of turning a family heirloom into something special I can use. Flipping it doesn't seem right. It has a history of being used to store vices... Grandma used it to store her booze so it's only appropriate I use it for cigars. :rolling:
Very cool. So, a toda confianza (that means: with all confidence) you can totally use it as a humidor.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Well, good for you Jacob.

But if you do run into a problem take Wade up on his offer, he is a fantastic carpenter/woodworker!

Shmear

Megan the Great
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well, good for you Jacob.

But if you do run into a problem take Wade up on his offer, he is a fantastic carpenter/woodworker!
What he said. Wade could help ya out... hehehe, if he wants to. I think you'll have to trade him an Opus if you want his help.

Only kidding. I honestly don't know.

Did i just give an idea?

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
That is one beautiful cabinet. It will definitely make you a great humi with lots of meaning and sentimental value. The satisfaction you will get from modifying it cannot be beat. Take your time in the planning before you start. I have a question; as to a glue to bond the spanish cedar, what will hold up to the RH but not give off any gasious odor?