What's new

Gran Habano New STK Box distasteful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about you but, I kind of thought the new Gran Habano STK Zulu Zulu box art was a bit on the distasteful side. Using art displaying young African children holding automatic weapons just seems inherently wrong for some reason. What do you guys think, am I just being hyper vigilant or does it seem insensitive to you too.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Hey Roger -

Nice to meet you and welcome to BOTL. (might want to say high to the gang in the intro section)

I am unfamiliar with the box art. Could you post a photo or linky of it? Would like to see.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Whoa... On its face, I can see how that could be offensive. I'd be interested to know more about how the image was selected or commissioned, as I'd tend to agree that use of the image of (what at least appears to be) a child soldier to hawk a product is in bad taste.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From cigarbrief.com " The Zulu Zulu’s blend history is an interesting one, in that it is a special blend of George Rico. Anyone who has had the good pleasure of spending time with George has often seen him pull his own specially blended cigar out for himself, and some times a lucky guest gets to enjoy one. George loves his blend and has decided to grace us with a special treat in the Zulu Zulu. So what can we say about the Zulu Zulu? Well, it has an Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper and will come in a lancero vitola."

I have smoked one of George's personal lancero before and if this is in fact the case then I can see why they would use all the gimmicks to try and sell it.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
All I know is, I need diamonds for my diamond-encrusted iPad & iPhone cases. I also need diamonds to cover my entire Porsche 911 GT2-RS. And I also need diamonds for the diamond stud I have going through the head of my penis. If a couple of African kids have to hold fully automatic assault riffles on the cover of a cigar box, so be it...just get me my diamonds!!

JK...

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
All I know is, I need diamonds for my diamond-encrusted iPad & iPhone cases. I also need diamonds to cover my entire Porsche 911 GT2-RS. And I also need diamonds for the diamond stud I have going through the head of my penis. If a couple of African kids have to hold fully automatic assault riffles on the cover of a cigar box, so be it...just get me my diamonds!!

JK...
Awsomeness at it finest! Nicely put!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, so it's not just me. I'm certainly not an alarmist and having met George Rico before I don't want to chastise him, it just seems in bad taste.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Even good people sometimes have bad ideas.
Then they surround themselves with Yes men (people)
who wont disagree with them or speak their mind when they see something this distasteful.

Im still not catching any link to zulu zulu here or why that portrays a child carrying a semi auto.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm new here and I guess I can only post url's once I have five posts. If it helps I first saw the pictures on Cigarbrief.com

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update, I've got a buddy who lives in Miami near where the newly opened Gran Habano factory is and you will never believe this, apparently the image of the three young kids with guns is actually a mural that has been painted on the side of the building. Pretty gross if you ask me.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
It may or may not be in bad taste to use the image to sell cigars, but I wouldn't say it's gross to paint it. Not like the artist is slandering(?) these noble African armies using kids as soldiers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe gross is an overstatement, I just think it's kind of crazy to use impoverished children who have been basically forced to bear arms to push product or get attention. I don't know I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Agreed.. Something is off here. Does anyone know why they are using this image? As a gran habano fan id like to believe there was a good reason but I'm doubtful here..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The politcally correct,will complain about everything.Art is subjective and should not be viewed as anything but art.
Don't be afraid of an image !

Status
Not open for further replies.