What's new

Guitar players, show your gear!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
As far as strats go, the Squier bullet is the best entry level option imo. The Affinity is better if you can afford it. If you have someone that can check one out with you to look over the neck and frets. Quality control on the budget stuff like that isn't always the greatest so it's best to be able to check a few over. The pickups are surprisingly good for something in that price range but I'm already swapping all the pots, input jack, and pickups in mine. For a total investment of about $200 I have something that will sound every bit as good as any strat out there.

As far as Paul Reed Smith, some of the best guitars out there if you ask me. Quality stuff. Don't let your daughter give that stuff up!
"as far as strats go"... Would there potentially be a different type or style of electric guitar that might be good for her?

Nice. Watching your and Bondo posts about doing that stuff is cool to see.

For sure.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
@Glassman you might need to tell your daughter that playing an instrument is a lot like learning to excel at a sport. It can take years just to be "bad" at it, but stick with it! That PRS is beautiful!
I had GAS, but traded it for CAS when I moved here. I only have one guitar and that is a Gibson J50 that I have had since 73. I don't play much anymore because dealing cards is stressful on the hands and fingers.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
"as far as strats go"... Would there potentially be a different type or style of electric guitar that might be good for her?

Nice. Watching your and Bondo posts about doing that stuff is cool to see.

For sure.
What type of music does she like to listen and play? Strats are a lot of fun, but not the most versatile in the sounds they produce. They are some of the most budget friendly electrics out there though.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
What type of music does she like to listen and play? Strats are a lot of fun, but not the most versatile in the sounds they produce. They are some of the most budget friendly electrics out there though.
Right now she plays mostly folk/Americana style. But she's interested in blues, 60/70s rock and a little 90s alternative grunge.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Right now she plays mostly folk/Americana style. But she's interested in blues, 60/70s rock and a little 90s alternative grunge.
For blues/rock most guys go with a Les Paul but my favorite artists play a strat. You can go either way there. For grunge a lot of guys play a telecaster which also works really well for blues/rock. Really depends on the budget and what you want to spend, but a nashville deluxe tele offers a broad tonal range that will cover a lot of ground for her but they are not an entry level guitar. If it was my daughter I would probably start out with the strat, she how she does and look to add a les paul to the stable as her skills improve.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
For blues/rock most guys go with a Les Paul but my favorite artists play a strat. You can go either way there. For grunge a lot of guys play a telecaster which also works really well for blues/rock. Really depends on the budget and what you want to spend, but a nashville deluxe tele offers a broad tonal range that will cover a lot of ground for her but they are not an entry level guitar. If it was my daughter I would probably start out with the strat, she how she does and look to add a les paul to the stable as her skills improve.
Hmmm. That gives me some to think about. She's pretty serious about music. She practices and performs a lot. But I don't know if she'll ever be doing more electric than acoustic.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Jeremy, firstly, nice kid. Must have her mother's looks. HaHa.
Ok so yeah, I'll echo @BrewinHooligan 's recommendations about the Strat. Strat's likely the way 2 go. Telecasters are good but they get pricey fast.
Fender Stratocasters like the Affinity or Squire are popular "starter end" units and some come bundled with worthwhile little 10-15watt student amps.
5 way switching can take you from Tex-Mex to Bluesy to Muddy and Metal. I've heard some say the quality has gone down so if you get one, have an experienced player look it over for minor adjustments or fret dressing. . After purchase is fine. I won't bore you here. Just absolutely stay away from Strat clones.

LesPaul are fantastic however their "beginner" offerings like Les Paul Special " or the "Les Paul Juniors" or something called the "Maestro's" people seem to prefer the Epiphone Les Pauls. ,,, Epiphone is Gibson anyway just Epip has been making the cheaper versions longer, if I'm not mistaken.

There's some Ibanez out there in your range but I've never seen them as a good "beginner" electric. Their bodies have exaggerated "horns" and their tremolos can go out of whack. They have a primarily agressive "metal" look and I would the say the two recommendations below would have a more classy, subtle. and warmer "feel" for your daughter.

Advice:
Fender Stratocaster, ( Bullit version is good too) probably the way to go. Proven track record.
Epiphone Les Paul LP100 if you want to reach out just a little further.

Only one Honorable Mention Cheapo: Corte Telecaster clone $125
(good reviews after recommended shop setup)

IMHO.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
+1 to all of this^^^^^
I will add that the Telecaster doesn't weigh as much as a Strat or Les Paul if that is a factor.
The Nashville Deluxe is a very solid, versatile instrument.
Elixir strings are worth the little extra cash for acoustic or electric also.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Jeremy, firstly, nice kid. Must have her mother's looks. HaHa.
Ok so yeah, I'll echo @BrewinHooligan 's recommendations about the Strat. Strat's likely the way 2 go. Telecasters are good but they get pricey fast.
Fender Stratocasters like the Affinity or Squire are popular "starter end" units and some come bundled with worthwhile little 10-15watt student amps.
5 way switching can take you from Tex-Mex to Bluesy to Muddy and Metal. I've heard some say the quality has gone down so if you get one, have an experienced player look it over for minor adjustments or fret dressing. . After purchase is fine. I won't bore you here. Just absolutely stay away from Strat clones.

LesPaul are fantastic however their "beginner" offerings like Les Paul Special " or the "Les Paul Juniors" or something called the "Maestro's" people seem to prefer the Epiphone Les Pauls. ,,, Epiphone is Gibson anyway just Epip has been making the cheaper versions longer, if I'm not mistaken.

There's some Ibanez out there in your range but I've never seen them as a good "beginner" electric. Their bodies have exaggerated "horns" and their tremolos can go out of whack. They have a primarily agressive "metal" look and I would the say the two recommendations below would have a more classy, subtle. and warmer "feel" for your daughter.

Advice:
Fender Stratocaster, ( Bullit version is good too) probably the way to go. Proven track record.
Epiphone Les Paul LP100 if you want to reach out just a little further.

Only one Honorable Mention Cheapo: Corte Telecaster clone $125
(good reviews after recommended shop setup)

IMHO.
+1 to all of this^^^^^
I will add that the Telecaster doesn't weigh as much as a Strat or Les Paul if that is a factor.
The Nashville Deluxe is a very solid, versatile instrument.
Elixir strings are worth the little extra cash for acoustic or electric also.
Great info fellas. Thanks much!