Rated in order, from what I've tried:
1. Woodford Reserve Distillers
2. Blanton's
3. Bookers Unfiltered
4. Basil Hayden's
5. Eagle Rare
6. Angels Envy
7. Elijah Craig (12 year)
You're going to have to approach scotch like you've never had any of these lol. Taste it for what's in it that you enjoy. Cuz looking for the notes in those in a scotch is like getting into Pepsi after Coke. Not in a better or worse way just different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I need to get out more then, never was into the bar scene as youngin

That makes sense though. That's why I love Bourbon so much, it's unique. On the other side of the coin scotch is very unique, just in a way I don't quite love....yet.
Oh yeah you should definitely be able to find a good neiborhood bar and bartenda that would be willing to help u out on that at reasonable prices.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I was a scotch drinker first. For years, everytime I tried a bourbon, I hated it.I think in large part because I wanted it to be scotch and didn't want to vary from that flavor profile. But a couple months ago I bought a bottle of blantons and slowly worked my way thru it, sometimes just the bourbon, sometimes in an old fashioned or manhattan. Now that I've gone through a couple bottles of different bourbons, I've developed a taste for it. I still like scotch better (had a very healthy pour of Aberlour last night) but I do enjoy a good bourbon from time to time.

I guess I mention that to say that with me anyway, it just takes some time to develop the tast for these things. It's like I had to train my tastebuds what I liked in it. My scotch tastes have changed a lot as well. For years I LOVED the heavily peated scotches. Laphoaig was a favorite. But once I started trying more of the other scotches, my tastes drifted away from those in a big way. I have almost a full bottle of ardberg at home that I don't think will ever get finished - I just can't stomach it anymore. But bottles of Aberlour or The Gelnlivet never seem to last very long in my house!

Good luck with your journey down the scotch road. I think trying new things will help - I think finding the one that clicks with you then exploring that style to in turn help you enjoy others, much the way it did with me and bourbon.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're going to have to approach scotch like you've never had any of these lol. Taste it for what's in it that you enjoy. Cuz looking for the notes in those in a scotch is like getting into Pepsi after Coke. Not in a better or worse way just different.

Good points. Not that I thought all whiskey tastes similar but I wasn't expecting such a bourbon charismatic scotch to embody none of the qualities I've been groomed to pick up. That's just me though, not saying there are no bourbon notes; I just haven't discovered them yet. I had 3 glasses (or drams?)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was a scotch drinker first. For years, everytime I tried a bourbon, I hated it.I think in large part because I wanted it to be scotch and didn't want to vary from that flavor profile. But a couple months ago I bought a bottle of blantons and slowly worked my way thru it, sometimes just the bourbon, sometimes in an old fashioned or manhattan. Now that I've gone through a couple bottles of different bourbons, I've developed a taste for it. I still like scotch better (had a very healthy pour of Aberlour last night) but I do enjoy a good bourbon from time to time.

I guess I mention that to say that with me anyway, it just takes some time to develop the tast for these things. It's like I had to train my tastebuds what I liked in it. My scotch tastes have changed a lot as well. For years I LOVED the heavily peated scotches. Laphoaig was a favorite. But once I started trying more of the other scotches, my tastes drifted away from those in a big way. I have almost a full bottle of ardberg at home that I don't think will ever get finished - I just can't stomach it anymore. But bottles of Aberlour or The Gelnlivet never seem to last very long in my house!

Good luck with your journey down the scotch road. I think trying new things will help - I think finding the one that clicks with you then exploring that style to in turn help you enjoy others, much the way it did with me and bourbon.
Very insightful thanks for sharing. I was lucky with my first Bourbon; it's still remains my favorite to this day. Scotch, not so much but hey that's life. I don't give up easily.

I find Happiness in the pursuit, not the pursuit of happiness. Such is applied to life and how we live it.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Try the Japanese stuff. Hibiki 12 & Hakushu 12 are amazing. Yamazaki is good of course too.
I have to agree, you can get a Hibiki 12 for about ¥3500, or, if you're wanting to go higher, Hakushu 21 can be had for around ¥14,000 here in Nagoya. But if you make it to Nagoya, please look me up? I'm miss my US based cigar friends...