What's new

Haier 18 count humidor

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
You mentioned that you got the trays from cheaphumidors. The only thing I can find on their site doesn't look the same as yours. Could you post a link to them? I would really appreciate it as I think I am going to buy one of these wine coolers. We just looked at it at Lowes and it looks pretty nice and would be the perfect size for me.

Larry

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Here is the link for them. I have nine in mine when I first got it I filled it up. But the air was not circulating properly. But with nine it works fine.
Thanks... that was the ones I found. Not a bad price. Now I gotta see how much the beads are. Now that you have been using this for a while what would you say is the proper amount of beads.

Larry

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Sweet! I was unaware of this set-up. Perhaps next time I will go this route when doing another "singles" cooler.

You mention that they hold 400 sticks..... is that for one or all together? I keep hearing mixed numbers about those $10 trays..... Can't seem to get a strait answer on the capacity of those things.

Oh, and awesome rig!

I have been reading about other peoples wine coolers. I have now purchased two Haier wine coolers. They are perfect for humidors since they are tall and narrow. The fit cedar trays that you can order off the internet. They cost about $10 apiece. The coolers run $175 at Lowes. I bought one a year ago and my wife agreed to the new one last month. They hold about 400 cigars and now working on filling both up.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
They hold more than what they say. They say 30 a tray but I had close to 400 in my humidor that is why I went with another one. They did seem to fall out of the trays.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Wow! That is what I like to hear. It looks like this might be my next set-up.

Keep us all updated on how your set-up maintains itself. Thanks for the post!

They hold more than what they say. They say 30 a tray but I had close to 400 in my humidor that is why I went with another one. They did seem to fall out of the trays.

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I see that Chasidor is offering cedar drawers ($23) and shelves ($9.75) for these. That makes this even more tempting. I wonder if having the drawers in instead of the wire racks with the cheaphumidor trays would affect circulation. They are slotted so I wonder if that would do the trick.

Larry

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
You know I put the wooden dowels in the trays like Mike said. It works perfectly $10 for a tray and .69 for a dowel that will make enough for 2 1/2 trays. Lot cheaper than $23 dollars. Just my opinion of course and it looks good. I will post pictures with the dowels tonight when done.

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
You know I put the wooden dowels in the trays like Mike said. It works perfectly $10 for a tray and .69 for a dowel that will make enough for 2 1/2 trays. Lot cheaper than $23 dollars. Just my opinion of course and it looks good. I will post pictures with the dowels tonight when done.
I'm very interested in seeing this. I am looking at a Vinotemp 28 on Craigslist that I am trying to buy for $125 but not sure if I will be able to get it. If I can't I may end up with one of these Haiers.

Larry

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
This is the final project. I took Mike's advice and put dowels in the drawers. It made it much easier to pull out. They do not pull all the way out. This was a simple way to go. I have easy maintainable storage for my cigars. When the summer temperatures get high here in AZ. Sorry had to throw Farrah in there when I was a kid this was a must have poster.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Not a problem that is what this site is about. This was a low budget project since I am a college student. My wife does not think so though.

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Not a problem that is what this site is about. This was a low budget project since I am a college student. My wife does not think so though.
My wife would think so too but she knows how much I paid for my Diamond Crown humi. If I would have know about using a wine cooler for a humi I probably wouldn't have gotten the Diamond Crown.

The only reservation I had about buying this Haier was negetive reviews I saw online about them dying. I suppose it might be a case of only the people with problems posting the reviews. Plus when you running the cooler at the top of it's temp range it can't be working the cooling system too hard. I think I have pretty much talked myself into buying one of these.

Thanks again for the info.

Larry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take to stabilize the humidity. I have this setup and the humidity varies quit a bit. I am using 2lbs of beads.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all.....I'm a newbie here. I'm a little confused about the humidity. I thought that these wine coolers generated their own humidty (because corks in the wine bootles need the humidty also) why the beads? Do the wine coolers not generate enough humidity on their own?

Thanks!
Jeff

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Greetings all.....I'm a newbie here. I'm a little confused about the humidity. I thought that these wine coolers generated their own humidty (because corks in the wine bootles need the humidty also) why the beads? Do the wine coolers not generate enough humidity on their own?

Thanks!
Jeff
There is no humidity generated at all by a wine cooler. A cork will become dry if the bottle sits upright. Laying the bottle on it's side will provide more than enough moisture to prevent the cork form drying out.

Infact, if one where to use a cooler that is not Thermo-Electric, the condenser will actually de-humidify the surrounding air. Much like a refrigerator.