What's new

Headbanger Reverse Contest, Starting Reviews

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
will be adding a tiebreaker if two sticks are given the same total # of points, the one that scores higher in the taste section will be higher rated. Other than that, thanks again to everyone that joined. I will be leaving positive trader ratings for everyone once this is over as three players want to remain secretive.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Player I, Stick 2, Overall score is 79
Sarnone, Ashton aged maduro

Appearance and Construction: 16 of 20

This estimated 7 x 46 Churchill, mix medium and dark maduro wrapper had same cosmetic issues right off the bat. Rough looking wrapper, some stretched out parts of wrapper, weird looking almost two tone wrapper areas that joined together. There were some soft spots and the foot had tobacco sticking out that made the foot uneven. Honestly, I would not have selected this stick based on the appearance alone as is losing points before being smoked. The smell was spiced earth and leather which was very nice getting max points in the smell part.

Pre-lit draw 9 of 10

Nice earthy and leather tasted like very nice, just like the smell. No tingle or twang of good tobacco. The draw was firm and I hope it burns well with all the above issues and tight draw.

Burning and lighting 14 of 15

Lit very easily, required very little in the way of touch-ups for a large cigar. The burn started even and only went off slightly to one side. The burn rate was just right and took to two purged very well. The ash was strong and consistent solid grey throughout.

Flavor, taste, changes in profile: 24 of 30

Very typical maduro flavor profile of sweet earth start that went flat mid way that turned to weak spice and leather, losing the sweet earthiness mid way. The end was rather boring and turned stronger with a strong ashtray mouth. Had nice smoke rate the entire way, very nice.

Overall Finish: 7 of 10

Decent earthy/leather start that finished in the ashtray mouth, yucky even.

Summary: 9 of 15

This stick lasted me 1 hour and 34 minutes, putting it down with about 1.50" remaining as the ashtray mouth took over the enjoyment. A great starting stick that went south on me (like many have, weird). For a maduro, I expected more and this one did not do much for me. Was an average stick that I might buy singles of, not a box or even a 5 pack. Due to its size, I would estimate cost around the $6 buck range. Thanks for sharing this cigar with me.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Player E, Stick 2, Overall score is 92
Irritech - Romeo y Juliet 1875 Reserva Real the bully

Appearance and Construction: 18 of 20

This estimated 4 7/8 x 50 robusto, sported a nice light brown wrapper with overall nice appearance. The cap was great, the foot tobacco looked under filled some. No crack, splits, holes. The wrapper was smooth with no hard or soft spots. There were 1 or 2 veins, but overall this stick was sound. Nice smelling tobacco, nothing jumped at me what it was but just smelled nice.

Pre-lit draw 10 of 10

The draw was very easy. With the easy pull and loose rolled foot gave me concerns of how would burn. Nice creamy and woody tobacco dominated. Nice taste on lips and tongue with some nice tingling.

Burning and lighting 14 of 15

Took a while to get this one going, but once it did it burned very well overall. A couple touch ups is all. Stayed pretty straight, never going too far one way or the other. Purged very well. The ash held nicely and was medium grey.

Flavor, taste, changes in profile: 26 of 30

Very smooth woody and creamy smoke started off very flavorful and mild. This went into the mid way point without much change at all, only turning slightly stronger, even into the last third. Just more of the same woody tobacco. If you like this type of cigar, you will love this one. The volume of smoke was just right. (I like this a lot, but lost points cause of lack of change and not much complexity).

Overall Finish: 10 of 10

Nice woody tobacco finish, same as the smoke. This lingered in my mouth and throat for a long time. Very nice.

Summary: 14 of 15

This stick lasted me 70 minutes, putting it down with about 1" remaining. I happened to like this profile of woody and smooth, mild to medium cigar. Almost too one dimensional that might get boring if smoked too many close together. So if you do not like mild to medium and woody cigars, pass on this one. I would consider a box or split of this box, was very good. I would estimate cost around the $7-$6 buck range. Thanks for sharing this cigar with me.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Well folks, I am half way through smoking and attempting to review the cigars that were offered to test. A couple of things come to mind:

I am a little surprised that some of the sticks were not better looking. Multiple defects in some cost several points. Other were just WAY to fresh and turned bad. Time will correct many of these issues. For a contest with 10 people and 20 sticks, will be hard for those to place in the top three sticks.

Several cigars started off very good, only to fade away or turn to the dreaded ashtray mouth.

Some sticks have had burn or roll issues and might not have been able to be judged properly with only one stick being sent in (G2 comes to mind). So am sure some would have scored better. I wish I could help those but can only judge how that single stick smoked.

Stick C2 is going to be pretty hard to beat. That is one of the best cigars I have even had the pleasure of smoking. I knocked it 3 of 20 points in the appearance section, but the other possible 80 points it got 79, a very hard score to beat.

Sticks H1 and E2 that are in second and third respectively very both very good. There is room for other sticks to rate in this category, we shall soon see.

Thanks to everyone that participated in this contest and offered their fine cigars for me to try. All have been appreciated, even the ones I did not like or just did not suit me well.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Well, you've smoked one stick from every player so far. I will say that I now have ZERO hope of winning, as my reviewed stick scored in the middle of the pack....and you smoked what should have been the BETTER of the two I sent in. :rofl:

But hey, you never know...everyone has different preferences, so maybe you will like my second stick better.

But still probably not as much as you liked C2 :pokemyeye

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This sure has been enjoyable. Although I have been thinking the whole time the winner was the player with the highest sum of the two cigars. Guess I never read the directions completely. On another note, after reading the reviews thus far, there is no other reason to conclude anything but that C2's cigar was close to perfect. If Steve was rating all these in the 90's I would have to think maybe the rating was exagerated, but that's not the case. I am definately eager to put names to mine and the other smokes. I also am eager to tell why I chose what I did to send. Anyway, keep up the great reviews! :smokingme

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
This sure has been enjoyable. Although I have been thinking the whole time the winner was the player with the highest sum of the two cigars. Guess I never read the directions completely. On another note, after reading the reviews thus far, there is no other reason to conclude anything but that C2's cigar was close to perfect. If Steve was rating all these in the 90's I would have to think maybe the rating was exagerated, but that's not the case. I am definately eager to put names to mine and the other smokes. I also am eager to tell why I chose what I did to send. Anyway, keep up the great reviews! :smokingme

I am rating them on my own agend of many different criteria and am pretty hard to please as a general rule. I could have been PC about this and given higher scores like CA does. I try to rate each stick individually and fairly as I can.

The single best sticks will win, not the combined score. I am not the best at explaining myself, so must be something in there I missed. The original post is how was written and was not ammened, sorry for the confusion.

Once I have smoked both sticks from a player, that person can come forward with their online name to match the latter given to them, the sticks brand and stick and explain why or what they were thinking as they wish. It is solely up to that player to say which stick if they so choose. The only thing I will do at the end is name the players, nothing more from my end.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have to say Steve this is a great idea and thread. For something we all started out chuckling about, it has turned into very interesting reading. Congrats.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Very nice... so you think you will be done sometime b4 the end of the year???
:rofl:

I agree with the others Steve. Your reviews and the effort you seem to be putting into the scoring has totally turned our perceptions of this contest in a 180.

Nicely done so far. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Hmmmm, weather getting nicer now and a three day weekend coming up. I think several more will be smoked and reviewed this weekend.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Player D, Stick 1, Overall score is 92
Frankluke, Partagas 898v 2005

Appearance and Construction: 19 of 20

This estimated 6 &#189; x 42 Lonsdale has a beautiful round medium brown wrapper. No major defects. Very small and very few veins. Did have a few spots that raised up, almost poking thru the wrapper. The cap and feet were excellent. It had a smooth and sweet aged tobacco smell to it with some earthiness.

Pre-lit draw 10 of 10

Took well to the cutter, had a nice easy draw that was just right. Had a creamy smooth draw with light earth and ever so slight pepper and spice to it. A little tasty zip on my lips, very nice.

Burning and lighting 12 of 15

The stick lit very easily and started off nice. Burned at an angle almost the entire way. Required too many touch ups for my liking. The burn rate was just right. The ash was a mixed blackish and dark gray color and came off far too easily.

Flavor, taste, changes in profile: 27 of 30

Very nice light earthy, green peppers, slight spiciness with a tanic dry/green tree bark background. The start was on the mild strength side. Very well balanced cigar that allowed each of these flavors to be enjoyed without overpowering any of them. Toward the middle these flavors mixed in and out and developed to medium strength, adding come light coffee tastes. The end was less earthy and more peppery with cedar and wood qualities, gaining even more strength. The volume of smoke was about perfect for me, med to full smoke every puff. Very good quality tobacco noticed.

Overall Finish: 10 of 10

Peppery and smooth woodsy tobacco lingered on the tongue and throat. The finish of this cigar was very good, wishing there was more of this stick to smoke. This cigar quality did not diminish the entire way, very enjoyable cigar.

Summary: 14 of 15

This stick lasted me 77 minutes. I believe this cigar was aged maybe 5 years and stored very well in a cedar cabinet. Should be a $10-12 cigar. Was very good overall and thinks needs even more time to improve and to diminish the green and tanins that came out. If the burn would have been better, might have been the 2nd best stick to date. As is, is tied for third, taking 3rd place as the flavor and changes in profile scored higher by 1 point over stick E2. Thanks for sharing this stick.