What's new

Headbanger Reverse Contest, Starting Reviews

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
well its been pretty hard not posting in this thread, i wanted to keep my "silent player" status to the end.. I am silent player 1-player D,

and the cigars are
D1-partagas 898v 2005 review #256 92 points
D2-SLR regios 2006 review #169 90.5 pts

i cant believe how good your reviews are, and how perfect you described each cigar, in the BLIND, your a pro at this steve. i just wished my cigars burned a bit bettor, cause it looks like i would have scored higher, anyway great great job HB!

Thanks for the nice words Nick. The burn issues and harshness are from lack of age. I knew stick 1 was a Partagas lonsdale size almost right away, but thought was an actual lonsdale from a cab. Had the flavor profile that was undeniable with the rich spicy and earthiness. It was too fresh and needs more rest for sure. The SLR was also very good too. It would be hard to not smoke the crap out of those I can understand that. Thanks for sharing them with me, both were very good.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
you have been pretty spot on with these reviews steve.. I cannot lie, I was a little surprised by the quality of the reviews..

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
well its been pretty hard not posting in this thread, i wanted to keep my "silent player" status to the end..

I realized that I would not be able to not talk shit, so I have been posting all along... I am one of the other silent players, I am not sure what number..

and there is no telling what letter I am either..

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
and as I told you.. I will give you a nice huge ass f-ing bomb if you guess my next one right..

and yea you nailed it, almost got the year too

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Player E, Stick 1, Overall score is 84
Jmatkins, Hoyo de Montery - Excaliber IV

Appearance and Construction: 18 of 20

This estimated 6 1/8 x 46 large round maduro, was silky and shinny smooth with a few large veins showing. This stick felt nice and firm, fitting my large paws very well. There were only a few minor blemishes, overall a good looking sticks. There were no real smells noticed.

Pre-lit draw 10 of 10

The draw was firm bur yielding. Nice spiced earth was noted on the draw. Typical maduro dirt qualities to the taste in a good way. A little tingle on the lips.

Burning and lighting 14 of 15

The weather today was windy with rain and mist the entire time. Yet this stick smoked beautifully. It lit easily and burned virtually straight the whole way. The burn rate was good and it purged very well. The ash was solid grey but was flaky and came off far to easily is my only knock in this section.

Flavor, taste, changes in profile: 24 of 30

Very heavy leather and slight spice and earth as background started off well. Mid way mostly the same mixing in more leather and less earth. This turned to almost all leather with a stronger kick of nicotine at the end, but was a medium strength stick all the way. The volume of smoke was just right. The balance seemed off on this stick and I do not prefer a heavy leather as the main flavor, so lost some points with me here.

Overall Finish: 7 of 10

The taste on my lips turned to a little nasty cooked maduro and brown residue was left behind. The aftertaste was more leather and some ashy taste that lingered (not quite full on ashtray mouth).

Summary: 11 of 15

This stick lasted me 77 minutes, putting it down with about 1.5" remaining. This stick would score higher if you like a maduro or leather like stick. I like maduro, but not when it tastes bad or is more like cooked tobacco. I would consider a 5 pack to try more but not much more than that. Stayed medium bodied and medium strength throughout. I would estimate cost around the $6 - 6.75 dollar range due to it’s large size. Thanks for sharing this cigar with me.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Player J, Stick 2, Overall score is 91
Electric Sheep, Cabaiguan - Corona Extra

Appearance and Construction: 19 of 20

This estimated 5 5/8 x 46 corona gorda, had a light brown Colorado wrapper. Very solid and firm (hard) stick with only a couple minor blemishes. Very nice even in color, smooth, and hardly a vein in sight. Nice smelling mature tobacco with a sweet quality.

Pre-lit draw 8 of 10

The draw was one of the toughest thus far, barely able to draw (I should have used my new poker tool). The draw showed the mature/slightly aged tobacco with some honeyed sweetness with a herbal background. Nice twang on the lips.

Burning and lighting 12 of 15

Lit easily enough and the cherry was decent. Required several touch ups along the way. Burned abnormally at times and burned too slow the entire time as well. The ash was grey mixed in with some black, slightly flaky. The purges did not help much to improve things.

Flavor, taste, changes in profile: 28 of 30

One of the best flavor profiles yet. Very nice honey sweet woodiness with light herbal qualitites to start. Nice and smooth without any harshness. These flavors mixed together very well and added a cedar woodiness midway thru and increased the herbal floral flavors. The ending was pretty complex, mixing several of these profiles and thought some vanilla beaniness as well, but never losing the other profiles. The smoke volume was too light, mostly due the tight draw. This stick was toward the mild side of medium with many nice qualities that mixed very well.

Overall Finish: 10 of 10

Great finishing cigar, ahhhhhh. Smooth sweet woodiness and cedar remained on the pallet for a long time. Never got harsh even pulling hard to get decent smoke volume.

Summary: 14 of 15

This stick lasted me 88 minutes (slow burn and hard to pull is why), putting it down with about 3/4" remaining. I have no doubt to say if not the bad draw and burn issues probably related to the draw, this stick would be third. As is, the flavor profile is tied for second and I certainly would wish to own a box of these. I would estimate cost around the $7 buck range. Thanks for sharing this cigar with me. (SLR-A ??)

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Well as you have said in your updated first post, I am "Player J" :eyebrow:

Here are the two cigars I sent in for your contest:

On the left is stick "J1", an Ashton ESG Robusto (5.25x52), which you rated an 86. The stick cost $20 bucks, but as you are now well aware, they are quite overpriced. I actually enjoyed the original Churchill size, but this newer Robusto vitola didn't thrill me nearly as much. It seemed to lack quite a bit of the flavors that made the Churchill so tasty. When I sent it to you, I hadn't had one, but I did smoke one before you got around to reviewing it...and I knew right then that it wouldn't fare too well. And hey, no surprise -- it didn't! LOL!

The stick on the right is "J2", and no it's not a Cuban SLR-A...it's actually a Miami-made Don Pepin cigar, a Cabaiguan Coronas Extra (5 5/8" x 46), which you rated a 91. The cigar cost $9 bucks, a bargain considering how wonderful the flavor it -- and that it's 100% legal in the United States!

It's unfortunate that the stick didn't draw well, because it's obvious the flavor profile is right up your alley -- I mean, you've rated two Cabaiguans, and BOTH have rated very high with a 94 and a 91, and both have been right at the top of your favorite flavors of cigars. And believe me, they don't typically draw poorly, so don't be afraid to buy some on your own. Also, you should know that the stick was VERY young; if I recall correctly, it had a FEB 07 box code.

A box of 24 Cabaiguan Coronas Extras are available from our forum sponsor FAMOUS SMOKE for $194.95, which works out to $8/stick. I would definately recommend buying them, as they are one of my favorite smokes.

Thanks for having this contest, Steve...it's been a real treat to follow! :waving:

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Well as you have said in your updated first post, I am "Player J" :eyebrow:

Here are the two cigars I sent in for your contest:

On the left is stick "J1", an Ashton ESG Robusto (5.25x52), which you rated an 86. The stick cost $20 bucks, but as you are now well aware, they are quite overpriced. I actually enjoyed the original Churchill size, but this newer Robusto vitola didn't thrill me nearly as much. It seemed to lack quite a bit of the flavors that made the Churchill so tasty. When I sent it to you, I hadn't had one, but I did smoke one before you got around to reviewing it...and I knew right then that it wouldn't fare too well. And hey, no surprise -- it didn't! LOL!

The stick on the right is "J2", and no it's not a Cuban SLR-A...it's actually a Miami-made Don Pepin cigar, a Cabaiguan Coronas Extra (5 5/8" x 46), which you rated a 91. The cigar cost $9 bucks, a bargain considering how wonderful the flavor it -- and that it's 100% legal in the United States!

It's unfortunate that the stick didn't draw well, because it's obvious the flavor profile is right up your alley -- I mean, you've rated two Cabaiguans, and BOTH have rated very high with a 94 and a 91, and both have been right at the top of your favorite flavors of cigars. And believe me, they don't typically draw poorly, so don't be afraid to buy some on your own. Also, you should know that the stick was VERY young; if I recall correctly, it had a FEB 07 box code.

A box of 24 Cabaiguan Coronas Extras are available from our forum sponsor FAMOUS SMOKE for $194.95, which works out to $8/stick. I would definately recommend buying them, as they are one of my favorite smokes.

Thanks for having this contest, Steve...it's been a real treat to follow! :waving:

I must really like that brand as would have been third place had the burn been better. Yes the young age must be the problem, at 1 year old I bet those issues would be mostly gone. That stick reminded me of a Cuban cigar, but only the SLR-A was close. Great stick the Cabaiguan had proven to be. I will be looking for them to go on sale or request a split when money gets freed up for me. I took the longest time TRYING to score stick J2 higher, but the ratings to me were fair for that one stick.

I would have to say the other one is overpriced, but was also very good, just not a top tiered as some of the other ones. If memory serves me, flavors and quality was good, just had burn issues.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Also, player E was Jmatkins. Post with what you brought to the table if you so choose with anything about the sticks and why.
E:\Documents and Settings\John Matkins\My Documents\cigars.jpg

Cigar 1 was Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur I belive it was a No IV, this is a cigar which I like very much. I bought the box over the summer last year and I now have about 3 left.

Cigar 2 was Romeo Y Julieta 1875 Reserva Real the Bully I think, I always keep going back to these a lot over the last few years I like it a lot and will keep getting these.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
E:\Documents and Settings\John Matkins\My Documents\cigars.jpg

Cigar 1 was Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur I belive it was a No IV, this is a cigar which I like very much. I bought the box over the summer last year and I now have about 3 left.

Cigar 2 was Romeo Y Julieta 1875 Reserva Real the Bully I think, I always keep going back to these a lot over the last few years I like it a lot and will keep getting these.

I like the RyJ then also, think it scored a 92. :clap:

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Player G, Stick 1, Overall score is 91
Wasch_24,

Appearance and Construction: 19 of 20

This estimated 5 x 40 mostly round, medium brown with a somewhat blotchy wrapper looked to be several years old (about 5). Hardly any veins to see, nice and smooth wrapper. A few sun spots and small piece of wrapper missing. Nice signs of aging. The smell was of aged slightly spicy and cedar tobacco.

Pre-lit draw 9 of 10

The draw was about perfect. Nice and sweet aged tobacco draw. Nice tingle on the lips though oddly there was zero taste, but was rather dull and flat tasting.

Burning and lighting 13 of 15

This stick lit very well and easily. I believe there were zero touch ups required and this stick burned straight as an arrow. The burn rate was very, very fast which might explain the bitterness later on. The ash was definitely loose and the ash was mixed black and gray.

Flavor, taste, changes in profile: 27 of 30

Very pleasant woody qualities, very smooth and refined mellowness. Slight spicy background like bakers spice, mostly mild start. Mid way a stronger cedar woodiness developed and I did note this tobacco seems to been fermented in a liquor oak barrel (oddly this was later read in a reference book after I found out what cigar this was, I was wrong on my first guess tho). These woody, strong cedar, and subtle spices mixed in and out nicely toward the end. The smoke volume was very nice for a small stick. Exhaled through my nose nicely as well w/o any harshness. Nice balance and complexity of this little guy (Another note, made my tongue tingle like no other, neat!)

Overall Finish: 9 of 10

Nice woodiness on the pallet was noticed for hours after smoking, very pleasant. Slight harshness at the end of the stick is my only knock on the finish.

Summary: 14 of 15

This stick lasted me 56 minutes, putting it down with about 1/2" remaining (yup, I nubbed this one). I have to say overall this cigar was very, very taste and scored very high across the board, just not prefect in any single category keeping it from top three status. I give this stick an A rating and would recommend a box purchase. I would estimate cost around the $6.50 range. Thanks for sharing this cigar with me.