What's new

Headley Grange problem

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Just got into my first Headley Grange and had some questions. First was the dark tobacco mixed in

Next is it normal to have a super tight draw on them? Also this stick had a hard wood stem in it. Couldn't get a good photo.

I smoked almost all of it with some work but didn't expect anything like that.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I almost purchased one today and it would have been my first but I passed it up for an aging room Quattro f55. I'll have to look tomorrow while im at the lounge and see if there is any dark leaves present. Im sure the stem is just something that happens naturally from time to time. Sounds like a decent smoke though as you described

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Headly Grange is probably my favorite regular production stick and I can tell you from experience based in a large sample size, you got a bad stick. I honestly can't remmeber having a major issue in any of the HGs I've had. They're the image of consistancy in my book.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I am with Robbie on this one. I have smoked a lot of Crowned Heads stuff, they are my personal favorite cigar company, and they are super consistent. They also are concerned when there are issues. Email Jon Huber directly and send him those pictures. He will answer you, I guarantee it.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
The dark tobacco is usually (but not always) ligero.

As for the stick in the cigar, it does happen on occasion. All of the Crowned Heads cigars I have smoke have had good to excellent construction, so as was said above, you probably just got a bad sample. I would def give them another chance, as I find the Headley Grange to be quite flavorful.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Like others have said, chalk it up to getting a bad stick and don't let this experience deter you from trying another. They are very good smokes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon Huber will personally send you a replacement stick. He's is that kind of southern gent.

Like others have mentioned, CH is a solid company that stand behind their products and having the owner address this personally proves their commitment.

PM him just to let him know though I would imagine he'll pick up on this thread sooner or later.

Definitely try another, you'll find it was a one off stick.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
As others have said, I've not had any problems at all but there's bound to be a bad apple every now and then. Don't give up on the HG- it's a fantastic smoke IMO.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
the guys so far have nailed it. the wrapper is the most consistent in appearance, as that is where the curb appeal lies, but the binder and filler can vary GREATLY in color and finish, so the foot pic you posted is to be expected. myself, i have had very consistent returns on the HG line, and would recommend revisiting it. FWIW, i always buy at least two of anything (price and availability allowing) for just such a reason. even the best can bone one from time to time. o)

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
So to recap - The sticks are one of the favorites around here, give it another try and if you're truly unhappy email Jon Huber.

Like others had said the dark leaf is most likely a Ligero leaf. As for the stem… Well there are stems in EVERY cigar, stems provide a lot of flavor and help us achieve that long ash, but usually they are smaller and burn up as you smoke. Every once in a while you get a big one like that unfortunately.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate to sound negative with all of the positive responses, but I think it's important to be honest, I have had contruction problems wit Crowned Heads.

Bought 2 I had been really excited to try for the first time. Had the 4kix and HG and loved them.

Brought home an HG drumstick, and a JD Howard. Lit up the drumstick first, draw was so tight it was ruined. I chalked that up to rolling lanceros is hard to roll something that small and still keep airflow.

So I lit the JD up right after, I had meant to save it until later that night, but since I got no smoke from the drumstick, I wanted a cigar still.

Same thing. I was pulling so hard to get smoke by the second cigar I had a massive headache.

Ended up immediately lighting up a 3rd cigar right after, a My Father, just so I could get some nicotine and while that one drew perfectly, by that time I was in a bad mood with a headache.

Haven't bought a Crownedheads since. I will get one again someday, because the few I had before that day were awesome.

It just left a bad taste so-to-speak after being out the 20 something dollars for those 2. It's just bad luck but 2 in a row is enough to make anyone think twice no matter what brand.

Sorry, felt obligsted to answer honestly and I'm sure 99% of their cigars are fine.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
No need to be sorry man! It's unfortunate that some people hit a few duds in a row and I've had it happen with every brand from time to time.

I hate to sound negative with all of the positive responses, but I think it's important to be honest, I have had contruction problems wit Crowned Heads.

Bought 2 I had been really excited to try for the first time. Had the 4kix and HG and loved them.

Brought home an HG drumstick, and a JD Howard. Lit up the drumstick first, draw was so tight it was ruined. I chalked that up to rolling lanceros is hard to roll something that small and still keep airflow.

So I lit the JD up right after, I had meant to save it until later that night, but since I got no smoke from the drumstick, I wanted a cigar still.

Same thing. I was pulling so hard to get smoke by the second cigar I had a massive headache.

Ended up immediately lighting up a 3rd cigar right after, a My Father, just so I could get some nicotine and while that one drew perfectly, by that time I was in a bad mood with a headache.

Haven't bought a Crownedheads since. I will get one again someday, because the few I had before that day were awesome.

It just left a bad taste so-to-speak after being out the 20 something dollars for those 2. It's just bad luck but 2 in a row is enough to make anyone think twice no matter what brand.

Sorry, felt obligsted to answer honestly and I'm sure 99% of their cigars are fine.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
That's how tight this one was. I did find the flavor pleasing but it was too hard to smoke. This was purchased in NYC and for the price I paid I refused to just trash it.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I think plugs are just something that happens from time to time. I had a Headley Grange toro that was really, really tight. Eventually gave up.

I've had the same thing happen with Cubans, Liga Privada, Tats, Fuentes... If you smoke enough cigars you just run into that kinda thing.

I chalked mine up to experience and moved on. Just isn't worth reaching out to a rep every time something goes wrong, especially because overall it happens so infrequently.

I'd say invest in a good draw tool. Well worth it!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just got into my first Headley Grange and had some questions. First was the dark tobacco mixed in

Next is it normal to have a super tight draw on them?

1st off I don't think a tight draw is something a cigar maker "tries" to incorporate into the production of their cigars. So no, it's not normal.

Also this stick had a hard wood stem in it. Couldn't get a good photo.

2nd) just last night I saw a video. On cigar obsession where Brian dissected a padron 1926. It had two really lrg stems. I would not have expected to see that in a higher end padron and everyone chalked it up as a fluke. Well someone emailed padron with a link to the video and the response from padron stunned me. Those stems are supposed to be ther, and are in all of their cigars. Maybe their is more to cigar blending and rolling than the avg person understands.

I smoked almost all of it with some work but didn't expect anything like that.
It happens. I recently bought two drumsticks 1st was so tight it was unsmokable. 2nd was one of the best cigars I have had in a long time. With that said often the problem isn't with the manufacturing but with the storage, both our own and the b&m.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0

Disclaimer: crowned heads is my favorite cigar company and Headley Grange is my favorite cigar. Just like Robbie I have smoked quite a few of these over the past 12-18 months.

Not sure if this is the case but my guess is that if you purchased 2 sticks from the same place and had the issues that you were describing they were more than likely over humidified. Did the my father you smoked afterwards come from the same B&M at the same time or was it sitting in your humidor at an Ok humidity level for awhile?

Recently I had an issue with a drumstick where it tarred up on me and I had to put it down. I then lit up an Opus X which did the exact same thing to me. Not sure what the exact reason was but I chalked it up to high humidity in the environment I was smoking it in as well as possibly smoking them too fast. Since it happened consecutively to two different cigars from two different brands I chalked it up to me and my environment rather than the cigars.

Not saying you didn't get a couple if duds but more than likely there were other factors in play.

As far as stems in the cigar, this is very common in cigars at all levels including premium CCs etc. Some will even intentionally add them as part of the blend. I'm on my phone right now so I am not able to find it but there was just a thread last week discussing stems in cigars. Maybe someone else can find a link and post it?

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
I did see that link on the Padron. This was about the same woody feel like that video. This post wasn't to knock the stick just wanted to know if this was normal.