What's new

Hello from Northern Minnesota

MNNorth-man

Go Bison!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Keith, from Buffalo, MN.
There's a pretty good contingent of MN brothers here, and we're probably long overdue for a Maple Grove herf.
Feel free to reach out if you're ever down this way.
Oh, and yes, GO BISON!
(NDSU Engineering 1997-2002)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Once a Bison, always a Bison. I was Comp Sci Grad from the dawn of the computer age. We were all excited when a prof told us about the mouse.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Welcome from Aiken SC, I spent 9.5 years on the tundra of Grand Rapids, was a great time, Luv the Ice Fishing , Four wheeling, Lots of fun shit to do,
But -30 from Dec till Mar and not seeing the ground from Nov 15 till Mid April , took a toll on this old guys bones...... Welcome again @Smoqman and a few other very cool Brother live close to ya

MNNorth-man

Go Bison!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from Aiken SC, I spent 9.5 years on the tundra of Grand Rapids, was a great time, Luv the Ice Fishing , Four wheeling, Lots of fun shit to do,
But -30 from Dec till Mar and not seeing the ground from Nov 15 till Mid April , took a toll on this old guys bones...... Welcome again @Smoqman and a few other very cool Brother live close to ya
It is a great place. I agree that the winters can be a bit brutal but can't play hockey on the lake until it freezes. Still trying to figure out how I am going enjoy my stogies in January. Kind of cool to sit on the porch. Don't want to smoke in the house... maybe the garage?

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
It is a great place. I agree that the winters can be a bit brutal but can't play hockey on the lake until it freezes. Still trying to figure out how I am going enjoy my stogies in January. Kind of cool to sit on the porch. Don't want to smoke in the house... maybe the garage?
Yes I spent many a nights with BBQ and a couple of burners going full tilt, smoking fast with shooter gloves on.......

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Heated ventilated garage would work. Or build you a little smoking shack, fresh air intake down low, ventilation up high.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I try to stay under $8. Don't want to spend too much as I search (it can get expensive ). So far my favorite is Punch Signature (Robust or Gigante); not too strong and I can enjoy it for well over an hour as I do my fall yard work or just relaxing in the evenings.
Well, good thing is that there's a lot of great stuff out there between 5 - 8. That punch looks alright, but I haven't tried many of the NC (non-cuban) versions of CC (cuban) brands, just to minimize confusion for myself. Sounds like you're in a medium-medium (body-strength) place right now. I tend to lean towards fuller bodied stuff and dark rich maduro stuff, but I can think of a few things you can try.

There are some great samplers out there right now, I really think famous, Puro cigar, and Atlantic are the best place for samplers. I've had better luck with the midrange ones rather than the budget ones, less fluff to discard. For a large company CAO really does put out some good stuff, I think the Brazilia, Pilon, mx2, are great (but I'm a maduro guy), I'd definitely recommend both of the main "Crowned Heads" samplers that are out there. Famous' "Auctioneer" site is a great place for those.

Atlantic has an excellent Curivari sampler, as well as a pete johnson sampler and aj fernandez sampler available. Speaking of AJ, a lot of people are really liking his stuff. Cigars.com has a sampler special of his primary line for a great deal + free shipping right now, probably only gonna be up for another couple of days - https://www.cigars.com/deal/aj-fernandez-humi-bag-collection-only-24-95 , they also have a caldwell sampler deal that looks good.

And over at Purocigar.com you can get some of the best deals on premium boutique sticks with their botl code and free shipping, putting them down closer to budget prices. Highly recommend grabbing the Illusione sampler, as well as the romacraft intemperance BAXXVi, great stick.

Have fun man! - Jeremy

MNNorth-man

Go Bison!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, good thing is that there's a lot of great stuff out there between 5 - 8. That punch looks alright, but I haven't tried many of the NC (non-cuban) versions of CC (cuban) brands, just to minimize confusion for myself. Sounds like you're in a medium-medium (body-strength) place right now. I tend to lean towards fuller bodied stuff and dark rich maduro stuff, but I can think of a few things you can try.

There are some great samplers out there right now, I really think famous, Puro cigar, and Atlantic are the best place for samplers. I've had better luck with the midrange ones rather than the budget ones, less fluff to discard. For a large company CAO really does put out some good stuff, I think the Brazilia, Pilon, mx2, are great (but I'm a maduro guy), I'd definitely recommend both of the main "Crowned Heads" samplers that are out there. Famous' "Auctioneer" site is a great place for those.

Atlantic has an excellent Curivari sampler, as well as a pete johnson sampler and aj fernandez sampler available. Speaking of AJ, a lot of people are really liking his stuff. Cigars.com has a sampler special of his primary line for a great deal + free shipping right now, probably only gonna be up for another couple of days - https://www.cigars.com/deal/aj-fernandez-humi-bag-collection-only-24-95 , they also have a caldwell sampler deal that looks good.

And over at Purocigar.com you can get some of the best deals on premium boutique sticks with their botl code and free shipping, putting them down closer to budget prices. Highly recommend grabbing the Illusione sampler, as well as the romacraft intemperance BAXXVi, great stick.

Have fun man! - Jeremy
Thanks man, a lot of great info and choices. I have tried a few maduros. Like them in the morning (MX2, Rocky Patel). Evening looking to just relax with medium. I am trying to develop my palate with the flavors. You gave me a lot to investigate. Thanks again.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Welcome from South MS!
Check out the "smoke of the day" thread.. it was quite useful in helping me find new stuff to try when I started.
And chats a great place for quick recommendations and half ass reviews (great, booty, or just meh :playful:)

MNNorth-man

Go Bison!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from South MS!
Check out the "smoke of the day" thread.. it was quite useful in helping me find new stuff to try when I started.
And chats a great place for quick recommendations and half ass reviews (great, booty, or just meh :playful:)
Thanks. I have been reading that thread. I agree it is a good learning place. Nice if there were more comments on how good/bad the Cigar was.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Thanks. I have been reading that thread. I agree it is a good learning place. Nice if there were more comments on how good/bad the Cigar was.

It's been my experience that, if a smoke's in there, its probably good unless otherwise noted.. just read the blend description online (I usually just check halfwheel or blind man's puff), and see if it sounds like something you'll like.. There's also a noobie trade that can really broaden your palette if you're just starting. Once you get an understanding of what to expect from certain blends/leaves/countries/etc, it gets MUCH easier to find great sticks without blowing $$.. Best of luck brother, and welcome down the slippery slope of premium tobacco! :playful:

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Welcome from Carlton, MN.

Yes, smoking in my little homemade hut in the back of the garage is the only way to even try to enjoy a cigar in our temps at this time of years. 2 electric 1500 watt when it really gets cold. In reality its like smoking in a 4 X 8 X 7 box with a fan at the top to draw out the smoke. It works but really dose kinda suck.

MNNorth-man

Go Bison!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from Carlton, MN.

Yes, smoking in my little homemade hut in the back of the garage is the only way to even try to enjoy a cigar in our temps at this time of years. 2 electric 1500 watt when it really gets cold. In reality its like smoking in a 4 X 8 X 7 box with a fan at the top to draw out the smoke. It works but really dose kinda suck.
I was thinking about something similar once I settle into my cigar hobby a bit more. Little late to figure out something good this year. Guess this is what I get for starting in September.