What's new

herrera esteli

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At DE we always cut our own seals because most retailer clerks make a mess of them - the white paper wrap was an interim solution between totally naked to the cellophane route - it sorta worked... <sigh>

Steve

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Finally got to try one of these yesterday, and I was thoroughly impressed. The construction was great, the burn was sharp, and the flavor was very good. I will definitely be looking for more.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I'm all for cellophane! The consumer can always take it off for storage if they prefer, but it is VERY helpful in reducing damage during shipping (manufacturer to retailer, retailer to customer ... and more importantly for me, from myself to someone I'm sending a bomb/trade to!!).

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm all for cellophane! The consumer can always take it off for storage if they prefer, but it is VERY helpful in reducing damage during shipping (manufacturer to retailer, retailer to customer ... and more importantly for me, from myself to someone I'm sending a bomb/trade to!!).
+1. Couldn't agree more.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know, but the purist in me wishes it wasn't needed - we can get away with it on some brands due to the wrapper's thickness and texture, but not feasible on the HE... we made a real gallant try - adjusted the boxes 3 times, added wood block spacers of two differing types, tried foam, tried two different paper inserts, and then a bundle wrap but in the end nothing we came up with worked 100%.

I swear I felt bad for Willy when I told him I gave the order to cello all his cigars, I felt like I kicked his dog... :/

I can't speak for other manufacturers, but I know for all of us here at DE we take this stuff very personal, we spend a year plus working on ideas, blends, packaging, etc for the brands we release and we definitely become vested in the projects so when we have to change something we didn't envision it feels like a compromise. Willy knows, JD knows, Nick knows and I know that the cello being added to the HE cigars will ultimately mean consumers will get their products delivered in their optimum smoking condition yet we can't help but say to ourselves, "damn... wish we didn't have to add the cello, the cigars looked so much prettier without it..."

BR,

STS
CEO, DE

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It has been a bit of a learning experience, but now we have changed the leaf sorting criteria and I think this is a problem that will soon be no more. What we have learned has also modify our approach to selecting the next crop.
Thanks for the info! Will the changes in the sorting criteria and crop selection have any significant impact (positive or negative) on the cigar (e.g. taste)?
None whatsoever - it is all from the very same wrapper crop, it is just some of the leaves have a texture that doesn't retain it's elasticity after they are aged as desired. Almost all of the cigars are fine... for example, when we sorted the some 500lbs of leaf we only came up with 11lbs that were borderline - the problem is that 11lbs would have equalled about 1,300 or so cigars and it doesn't take that many for people to document their complaint and rightfully so.

Even the ones that split, taste right, but they just are not enjoyable to smoke - so we gotta fix it. :>

STS

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just received a box of the lonsdales, and I'm perfectly happy with the cello on them. Its a big beautiful bundle.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Update on the Herrera ESTELI with Cello:

Last night we had a major event in Chicago with a focus on two products, HERRERA ESTELI and the UF13 - so there was mucho H.E. smoking going on. I was sure to ask each and every person who was smoking the HERRERA with Cello how the stick burned and if there was the wrapper splitting. 100% no problem and the place was seriously dry to boot. So, for the moment I am feeling seriously relieved. It kills me to see this brand in Cello but for the moment, I think that it is the only solution.

Best,
JD

BTW: the most interesting factoid that I am discovering about the H.E. is one of the most unusual phenomenon's: Dudes who smoke Strong, Medium, and Mild are enjoying the H.E. depending on the time of the day that they were smoked, the food that they ate, and what they are drinking. I have only seen this a few times before, as usually each brand (lets say specific line extension) is enjoyed by a certain segment of cigar smokers.

IMG_0550.jpgIMG_0550.jpgIMG_0550.jpg

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
JD, I know you hate cello for aesthetic reasons, but honestly I wish everything came in cello. Sure, I love the look of a Cuban-style ribbon-wrapped bundle of cigars too, but at the end of the day, I'm lighting the things on fire ... so potential damage is a bigger deal.

Especially in places like BOTL, we're buying cigars off each other, sending sneak attacks all the time, etc. Cello SERIOUSLY aids in shipping cigars such that they arrive at their new home in perfect condition. That's probably the #1 reason I am "pro cello."

Long-term, if you hate cello so much, maybe you could wrap the entire bundle in something that would protect them during initial shipment at least?

(I have not had the HE yet, so I have no comment in particular on those. Can't wait to get some, though).

HUPLVR

Found
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I want to give some major props to John Brooke (public relations guru for DE)! He has been relentless in getting my replacement HE's to me. The shipping co.(it rhymes with UPS...lol) lost the shipment that he sent me originally, but he has been going at it like a mad man to make sure that I get squared away. You just don't find people this dedicated in any customer service related industry these days. For example, when said shipper lost my sticks, I emailed John and told him not to worry about it because I am so happy with everything that DE does that I didn't want him to spend any more of his valuable time on me. John almost seemed insulted by my suggestion and insisted that he would get it right. Sorry for being so long winded, but I really wanted to recognize somebody who I felt truly deserved it. Thanks again to John, JD, and all of you guys at DE for the great customer service. That's what keeps us coming back( well, that and some kick ass sticks!). BTW, love the HE's!

Scotty C