What's new

Hockey's about to start...

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
If your the best player in the league (like some are arguing Toews is), you should be playing with the best players on your team. You can't say he is because he played the majority of the season away from Panarin and Kane last year. Very good all around player yes!! Best in the league, thats a stretch in my eyes.
Not sure I see that argument as valid at all; Because Toews was effective without Kane and Panarin on his line counts against him?? Seems counterintuitive to me. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Not sure I see that argument as valid at all; Because Toews was effective without Kane and Panarin on his line counts against him?? Seems counterintuitive to me. We will just have to agree to disagree.
My point was that his own GM, coach don't even put him with the best players. Doesn't exactly seem like the "best player" to me. Also, are you saying he was "productive" relative to his own numbers or the league? 58 points isn't exactly what you would hope for out of the best player in the league. Or maybe I am looking at it differently.

We are splitting hairs between these ELITE players. I just expect the best player in the league to be at the top of at least one of the major statistical categories, last year he wasn't top 20 in any of them. Throw +/- in there if you want something that shows (although very poorly) some two way component.

I enjoy a good hockey debate hahah

** Gold star for Toews in International play. I think I read something like he is 40-1 in his Team Canada career.**

On a side note, how is Rockford looking this year? Have a couple friends that are there.

Last edited:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
A lot of how Rockford looks will depend on who Chicago keeps and who they send down. Probably room for 3-5 Hogs' forwards on the Hawks this year, that will pretty seriously deplete their strength up front.

I could debate the intangibles besides +/- . Face off percentage (I believe he was Top 3), leadership (which I hear the unbiased experts on NHL.XM, TSN, NHL Network say Johnny is the best leader in the game), and, as you pointed out, the fact that he is 40-1 in "best on best" play for his career. Captain of 3 Stanley Cup winners, Conn Smythe winner in 2010, 4 time nominee and winner of the Selke award for best 2-way player, etc, etc, etcv. I don't think your GM.Coach argument holds water at all.

However, again I say, we agree to disagree. :)

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
A lot of how Rockford looks will depend on who Chicago keeps and who they send down. Probably room for 3-5 Hogs' forwards on the Hawks this year, that will pretty seriously deplete their strength up front.

I could debate the intangibles besides +/- . Face off percentage (I believe he was Top 3), leadership (which I hear the unbiased experts on NHL.XM, TSN, NHL Network say Johnny is the best leader in the game), and, as you pointed out, the fact that he is 40-1 in "best on best" play for his career. Captain of 3 Stanley Cup winners, Conn Smythe winner in 2010, 4 time nominee and winner of the Selke award for best 2-way player, etc, etc, etcv. I don't think your GM.Coach argument holds water at all.

However, again I say, we agree to disagree. :)
I would copy and paste Crosby's Wiki awards but there is one that stands out above all of them.
Sidney Crosby is a 3 time Ted Lindsay (voted on by his peers) award winner. Which means that the players that these two play against game in and game out thought that 3 times in his career, Sidney Crosby was the best player in the league. Not some writers, analysts etc. but the actual people who see it live day in day out.

How many Ted Lindsay awards does Toews have?

Your leadership point is valid for a lot more against a guy like Ovechkin who is notoriously a douchebag in the locker room. I have personally never heard a bad thing about Crosby from another player that played with him and trust me, that stuff spreads quick. If fact, I have heard a lot of the opposite.

One thing we can agree on is that he is a baby. I think that reason alone is why so many people hate him.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
The Ted Lindsey awards speak volumes. No doubt Crosby is the best offensive player over the last decade, though I have heard players criticize him. Logan Couture in the SCF is the most recent that comes to mind.

If I was a GM starting a team, my first pick would be Jonathan Toews.

We can agree to disagree. Echo....echo.....echo....... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
The Ted Lindsey awards speak volumes. No doubt Crosby is the best offensive player over the last decade, though I have heard players criticize him. Logan Couture in the SCF is the most recent that comes to mind.

If I was a GM starting a team, my first pick would be Jonathan Toews.

We can agree to disagree. Echo....echo.....echo....... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ok, Ok... fine!!!

By the way, always loved playing in Rockford. Fun arena, has it changed much over the last 10 years?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have heard players criticize him. Logan Couture in the SCF is the most recent that comes to mind.
I know I'm a month late on this, but even as a lifelong Sharks fan, Couture has a history of criticizing those that he loses to and has said stupid things in postgame interviews on many occasions over the years.

And Crosby kicked the shit out of the Sharks last night :(

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I know I'm a month late on this, but even as a lifelong Sharks fan, Couture has a history of criticizing those that he loses to and has said stupid things in postgame interviews on many occasions over the years.

The Pens are like a different team playing in front of Murray. Something about Fluery and probably his playing style that is based more off athletics and maybe his inability to play the puck with his stick? Maybe it's just that Murray plays a calm game and swallows rebounds? Whatever it is, there's a noticeable difference.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

True and true.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
@icehog3 - Spencer Abbott looked pretty decent tonight. I hope he sticks around a while. Seabrook on the other hand, was tough to watch tonight.
Seabrook gets a pass from me Jim, he has had a tough go the last 4-5 games, but so did the rest of the team. I have faith in #7.

I thought Abbott got better as the game went on. Hopefully he gets another shot with Toews and Hossa tonight.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That was a really good gold medal game between USA and CA. I thought the USA team was playing just D for all of OT but the CA team may of just been a bit more charged during it. The shootout was nail biting practically but overall the whole game was great. Nearly turned it off when CA went up by 2 half way through the 3rd but they tied it rather quickly.