What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Wow, that sounds like one crazy and great beer. And thanks for the stout recipe.
For the raspberry stout I would do something like this:

5.5gal recipe

10lb 2 Row
12oz roasted barley
12oz caramel 80
8oz chocolate malt
8oz flaked oats
1lb lactose (at 15 mins in boil).
3-5lbs raspberry in secondary (freeze first to kill wild yeast)

2.5oz 5%aa Kent Goldings hops at 60min to get 22ibu

Ferment with S-04 at 65-68f

This is not a tried and true recipe, but this is what I would personally brew to get what you are going for. A lot of people use black patent malt in their stouts but it tastes like an ash tray to me and I refuse to use it. I use the roasted barley instead

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

5.5gal recipe

10lb 2 Row
12oz roasted barley
12oz caramel 80
8oz chocolate malt
8oz flaked oats

This is not a tried and true recipe, but this is what I would personally brew to get what you are going for. A lot of people use black patent malt in their stouts but it tastes like an ash tray to me and I refuse to use it. I use the roasted barley instead
Good looking grain bill!
My 2 cents. If you are lactose intolerant I would up the flaked portion to a full pound, add a pound of carapils/carafoam, mash high to give a higher final gravity.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Good looking grain bill!
My 2 cents. If you are lactose intolerant I would up the flaked portion to a full pound, add a pound of carapils/carafoam, mash high to give a higher final gravity.
Exactly this!!! Definitely not a recipe for people that are lactose intolerant

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Now that I think of it, I may even go so far as to mix flaked wheat and rye to get a more viscous texture without imparting to much flavor. Wheat gives a thickness and rye a little oiliness. Mix them to gether and you get a creamy texture like you would get from the lactose sugar. You would have to play around with the quantities to get it where you want it. Or you can cheat and go with maltodextrin powder.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Dammit I really need to brew something. Playing around with BeerSmith tonight has me jonesing. The prickly pears are in bloom, I really want to re-brew the prickly pear saison I did last year but tone down the prickly pear...

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use about 10% flaked barley in my stout and mash @ 162. Great full silky body. Next batch Im going to start working with maltodextrin so I don't have to use as much base malt. I can just mash at 150 then use the maltodextrin to kick the FG back up to where I want it instead of having to use more base malt to compensate for the loss in fermentability. Only getting a 5% beer out of a 1.070 OG goes through a lot of malt.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

5.5gal recipe

10lb 2 Row
12oz roasted barley
12oz caramel 80
8oz chocolate malt
8oz flaked oats

2.5oz 5%aa Kent Goldings hops at 60min to get 22ibu

Thanks BH! I am on a family vacation now but I am itiching to brew when I get back. I have one last extract kit I made and then I get to break in my BIAB kit with this an a Oktoberfest I want to make. Thanks for the recipe and I am glad to see you are on the mend

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks BH! I am on a family vacation now but I am itiching to brew when I get back. I have one last extract kit I made and then I get to break in my BIAB kit with this an a Oktoberfest I want to make. Thanks for the recipe and I am glad to see you are on the mend
Do you have temp control or are you going for an ale ferment? If all you can do is a swamp cooler/wet t shirt try Fermentis saflager S-23 dry yeast. Ferments clean around 60 ish. I've used it for all my lagers and cream/steam ales.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh and the yeast listed S-04, so that's the Safale S-04? Just wanted to confirm, sorry stilllearning.

And yes MM, I have just picked up a small freezer and temp controller.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Oh and the yeast listed S-04, so that's the Safale S-04? Just wanted to confirm, sorry stilllearning.

And yes MM, I have just picked up a small freezer and temp controller.
S-04 is Safale. A good English stile yeast. I think it ferments like WLP-007. You can get it to chew through sugar pretty well but it will still kick out an English flavor. I'd prefer the S-23 at 60 to the S-04 for the O'fest. Will ferment clean with a little smidge of sulfer for a foux lager flavor if you couldn't wait for it to finish or ferment at 50 and try a lager ferment. Just be ready for it to take a while. You could still turn it quick and drink it fresh as a Keller bier. I did that with the smoked märsen that you tried and I had no complaints. Blew through 2 gallons that weekend. The rest of that batch lagered for 6 months and was even better.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So WLP-007 would be a good liquid yeast for this stout? I would like to liquid with a starter if I can get my stir plate going. If not, then I will go dry

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thanks MM..

And BH what was your OG, FG and ABV on this? And was it what you were expecting?
I just worked up the recipe last night based on what I would make to get what you are looking for.
Estimated OG is 1.064, I would guess the FG would be around 1.020 with the lactose since that will not ferment. That would yield 6%abv.

As far as dry vs liquid yeast, I always use dry yeast unless I am making a steam beer, lager, hefe, or Belgian beer. I use US-05 for most of my clean beers but I like an English yeast for a milk stout.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just worked up the recipe last night based on what I would make to get what you are looking for.
Estimated OG is 1.064, I would guess the FG would be around 1.020 with the lactose since that will not ferment. That would yield 6%abv.

As far as dry vs liquid yeast, I always use dry yeast unless I am making a steam beer, lager, hefe, or Belgian beer. I use US-05 for most of my clean beers but I like an English yeast for a milk stout.
Thanks. I am still pretty much a noob and I am learning. Right now I am reading through How To Brew. Its got some good info on the chemistry. So then you know why you are doing certain things and not just doing them.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Absolutely. Once you get comfortable with that and want to get more advanced there is a series of 3 books "Water, Hops, and Yeast" that get really deep into the science of brewing. I love the science of brewing though. I should have gone to school to be a chemist

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you want a liquid yeast for a stout I highly recommend the Yorkshire strain. Im pretty sure White Labs and Wyeast both sell it. It was recommended to me and Ive been hooked on it since. Ive noticed its been used for a number of NHC Gold Medal winning recipes as well. I think it was Jamil that said something along the lines of "you could ferment sewage with this stuff and it would turn out good."
Its literally the only liquid strain I continue to buy.