What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If you want a liquid yeast for a stout I highly recommend the Yorkshire strain. Im pretty sure White Labs and Wyeast both sell it. It was recommended to me and Ive been hooked on it since. Ive noticed its been used for a number of NHC Gold Medal winning recipes as well. I think it was Jamil that said something along the lines of "you could ferment sewage with this stuff and it would turn out good."
Its literally the only liquid strain I continue to buy.
I do remember JZ saying that.
Scribble, scribble... Sounds like I need to try a new yeast for my stouts. Thanks for the heads up Cole!
You and me both. I'm seriously beginning to get the itch to brew again. On deck Thai Saison and a black cream ale.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
If you don't love the stuff I owe you a homeroll ;)
Deal!! Sounds like the only thing I need to do is check its alcohol tolerance. I usually only do really big stouts and just toss a bunch of US-05 at it and try to ramp up my temp towards the end of fermentation so it finishes strong.

If I can find some spare money in the budget I'm going to try and brew something on Saturday. Probably my Saison to keep things simple and not have to worry about temp control. I may play around with some New Zealand hops and make it a hoppy IPA/saison. Not sure if I will have the time and energy to go to the desert to pick prickly pears

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Lol, I know what you mean. Trying to decide if I sweat my ass off and use my burner outside or piss off the wife and use the gas stove inside with the a/c...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Absolutely. Once you get comfortable with that and want to get more advanced there is a series of 3 books "Water, Hops, and Yeast" that get really deep into the science of brewing. I love the science of brewing though. I should have gone to school to be a chemist
Yeah, I didnt entirely enjoy chemistry like I did physics, but if I would have been familar with the brewing process, then well who knows...

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Deal!! Sounds like the only thing I need to do is check its alcohol tolerance. I usually only do really big stouts and just toss a bunch of US-05 at it and try to ramp up my temp towards the end of fermentation so it finishes strong.

If I can find some spare money in the budget I'm going to try and brew something on Saturday. Probably my Saison to keep things simple and not have to worry about temp control. I may play around with some New Zealand hops and make it a hoppy IPA/saison. Not sure if I will have the time and energy to go to the desert to pick prickly pears
I'm not totally sure how high it can take it but I do know it's attenuation is much lower than Chico or pacman. Even mashing pretty low this stuff floccs out around 1.020. I'll be using it in a RIS soonish, if I get to it before you try it out I'll let you know how it goes.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm not totally sure how high it can take it but I do know it's attenuation is much lower than Chico or pacman. Even mashing pretty low this stuff floccs out around 1.020. I'll be using it in a RIS soonish, if I get to it before you try it out I'll let you know how it goes.
Sounds good! I don't mind an FG of 1.020 if my OG is 1.1+.

Anyone else here besides me think a Prickly Pear/Jalapeño saison sounds good? May do a 5 gal batch with prickly pear and then pull a gallon off to add some jalapeño too.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds good! I don't mind an FG of 1.020 if my OG is 1.1+.

Anyone else here besides me think a Prickly Pear/Jalapeño saison sounds good? May do a 5 gal batch with prickly pear and then pull a gallon off to add some jalapeño too.
That sounds great. One of my coworkers has done a little brewering in 1 gal batches he got a kit that was a spicy saison with jalapenos. It was great!

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tried my hand at an experiment today and hoping to get some good results. I brewed a Ginger India Cream Ale. Late hopped with Amarillo/Citra and 2 tsp ground ginger powder @ 10min. We'll see how it turns out. I definitely didn't get any ginger on the nose from the boil which is disappointing. Hopefully the aroma is there once its on gas.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Stopped at a good Asian market and found some interesting things. Found lime leaves, a basil that smelled like lemon verbena, fresh lemon grass and Thai basil. I'm thinking of using them in a simple cream ale with rice flakes and use a single addition of a clean bittering hop. Maybe add a few Thai chillies as a dry hop.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Stopped at a good Asian market and found some interesting things. Found lime leaves, a basil that smelled like lemon verbena, fresh lemon grass and Thai basil. I'm thinking of using them in a simple cream ale with rice flakes and use a single addition of a clean bittering hop. Maybe add a few Thai chillies as a dry hop.
Sounds pretty interesting. If you have any left you should bring some down to YumaHerf 2015. And bring BrewinHooligan too!

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I'm not near as advanced as u guys are but I'm brewing a batch of hop cult ipa right now from a recipe kit. This is my third batch, all ipa's so far...love the hops
Nice!!! Consider getting yourself a nylon hop sack with a draw string next time you put in an order. They cost about a buck or so and are great especially for hoppy brews. From one hop head to another, filtering hop pellets out of wort is a real pain in the ass!!!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice!!! Consider getting yourself a nylon hop sack with a draw string next time you put in an order. They cost about a buck or so and are great especially for hoppy brews. From one hop head to another, filtering hop pellets out of wort is a real pain in the ass!!!
Agreed, I had bought a pack of small muslin bags on Amazon for this purpose. It makes it much cleaner.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
If you ferment in buckets, you can use a sanitized paint strainer bag after the boil and cooling too. Line the bucket with the sanitized bag, pour the wort in, yank out the bag with all the hop debris as well as coagulated proteins. It's a little bit of a pain and mess but I always do this when I plan to harvest the yeast to keep as much trub as possible out of the bucket. A hop spider is easily made with a piece of pvc coupling, some long bolts, a circular clamp, and a paint strainer bag as well

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you ferment in buckets, you can use a sanitized paint strainer bag after the boil and cooling too. Line the bucket with the sanitized bag, pour the wort in, yank out the bag with all the hop debris as well as coagulated proteins. It's a little bit of a pain and mess but I always do this when I plan to harvest the yeast to keep as much trub as possible out of the bucket. A hop spider is easily made with a piece of pvc coupling, some long bolts, a circular clamp, and a paint strainer bag as well
I used to do this except I would line my bottling bucket with the strainer. It definitely works as long as the mesh is fine enough. If your just pouring your wort into the fermenter this method is a real good option. Plus you can squeeze some extra wort out as you filter. I use my auto siphon to rack from my kettle so in my case using a hop sack keeps from clogging up the siphon. Lots of good options it basically comes down to what works best with the rest of your process.