What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Nice!!! Consider getting yourself a nylon hop sack with a draw string next time you put in an order. They cost about a buck or so and are great especially for hoppy brews. From one hop head to another, filtering hop pellets out of wort is a real pain in the ass!!!
I have some muslin bags for dry hopping. You put them in a hop bag during the boil also?

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just make sure to tie it so they have room to flow around. That way you get the most out of them.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags as part of a hop spider. I tend to use a lot of hops in the whirlpool/hot stand on my ambers and will place my return in the bag with my hops. That way they get constant agitation. I've gone so far as using this as my only hop addition with great results.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Whoop! Found a hardware supply that has 1/2" lokline in stock locally. New ideas as far as setting up my brew stand. Found some old style ice cube coolers too. The one without the wheels. "Because it's Blue bitches!" Need to grab some silicon hose and QD fittings from our local homie at Stainless Fittings. Mentioned that he could be talked into delivering to Fox for a beer and a cigar.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Whoop! Found a hardware supply that has 1/2" lokline in stock locally. New ideas as far as setting up my brew stand. Found some old style ice cube coolers too. The one without the wheels. "Because it's Blue bitches!" Need to grab some silicon hose and QD fittings from our local homie at Stainless Fittings. Mentioned that he could be talked into delivering to Fox for a beer and a cigar.
A chugger pump to recirculate the mash would be awesome. I have a buddy that wants to start brewing with me. I am wanting to build a stand with keggles and pumps so we can start pumping out 10gal batches.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I brewed a wheat beer today. Its a recipe I found onlne that the guy called Not Sure Wheat. Its light DME and wheat DME with tettanger hops. I brewed it once before and it was quite good. Next week will be my first BIAB!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Watermelon wheat. Just blended up a melon Thursday and poured it into the fermenter after it had finished up. The extra sugars kicked up the bubbles again. Will keg it in a few days. Last time I brewed this it lasted 4 days and that's with 11 other beers on tap to choose from!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Which yeast strain? Make sure you have a decent amount of head space because wheat yeasts tend to have some pretty crazy krausen.

Speaking of yeast I just brewed up another batch of my mango cream ale for our upcoming Brewfest but this time I used some Conan. I usually use Notty but I have a feeling the ester profile of the Conan will go great with the Amarillo and mango.
Yeah, youb weren't kidding about wheat yeasts. I had a 5 gallon batch in 6.5 gal carboy. And I just checked it and the krausen was getting right up to top. So I put in a blow off tube just in case.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lol I told you they get pretty crazy. Does the blowoff smell like nice esters or sulfury rhino farts?
Well, last night I checked it before bed and it had some krausen creeping up a few inches in the blow off tube and I checked agian just now and there seems to be just remnants film form the krasusen in the tube, but it travels up the tbe about six inches last night. With out that tube it could have been disastrous. Thanks all for the headsup on that yeast.
Oh and I dont think any got into by jug that the other end of the blowoff tube is in so didnt get to check the smell.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The Homebrewtalk cigar thread lead me to this site. This is kind of funny but I'll talk cigars on the brewing site, and beer on the cigar site. :)

Today's brew is a 2 hearted ale clone.
View attachment 68896
Me too. Kind of moved on from HBT though as my home brewing wained. I'm having much more fun here. HIM and I are the founding members of the HBT Sweaty Fat guy's cigar club. The name was judiciously stolen from one of Cole's comments one day on the cigar thread. Good times there. Now Brewinhooligan is getting me tempted to try home rolling.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Me too. Kind of moved on from HBT though as my home brewing wained. I'm having much more fun here. HIM and I are the founding members of the HBT Sweaty Fat guy's cigar club. The name was judiciously stolen from one of Cole's comments one day on the cigar thread. Good times there. Now Brewinhooligan is getting me tempted to try home rolling.
Do you guys have room for one more sweat fat guy?