What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sure. All you have to do is smoke a cigar while brewing outside (if you are able to) on a hot day. Don't forget the hot scotchy too. Very important part of the brew day as well.
Well I should be brewing on friday, and it will be my first BIAB on my new burner outside. So if I must I will have a smoke. Man, the things I do to become part of elusive clubs! :D

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You are going to have to educate me. What is a hot scotchy?
Take up to 4 oz of your first runnings (hot) and add a dram of bourbon or scotch. Drink it with a cigar while sparging or waiting for your grains to drain (boil in a bag). Works better with sparging because the first runnings are sweeter but the thought is still there.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Take up to 4 oz of your first runnings (hot) and add a dram of bourbon or scotch. Drink it with a cigar while sparging or waiting for your grains to drain (boil in a bag). Works better with sparging because the first runnings are sweeter but the thought is still there.
Damn, that is going to a hot drink to handle in Yuma in August, but I am all in.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Damn, that is going to a hot drink to handle in Yuma in August, but I am all in.
It'll be easier than you think. The malty sweetness goes so good with some cigars. Like a Headley Grange or a JV-13 for example.
Although , if you pair it with a full size Jason you'll be sweating for reasons other than the heat.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Heavy on crystal malt????
Stewed malts, where the starches are converted to sugar and kilned at different temps to develop flavor and color. Some people will mash low 147-149 deg F and use crystal/caramel malts to provide body and flavor while others don't and mash as high as 165 utilizing roasted malts that haven't been pre converted to accomplish the same thing. You may already know all of this and are taking an affront to the use or misuse of crystal/caramel malts in a grain bill as you see it. Shrug. IDK, just trying to figure out your response with out trying to sound preachy.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think he was just saying it tastes better with grists that use a higher percentage of crystal malt(10-20%). Most styles don't use that much but it's appropriate in some, like ESBs for example.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh, I also have some cider fermenting for my wife. I have a 1 gal jug i just picked up. So I got some apple juice (no preservatives), filled up my jug, pithed some champagne yeast and threw on an airlock. I did this Sunday night and its still bubbling away. Curious to see how it turns out.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For apple juice I use white wine yeast, I use champagne yeast for my citrus wines though because you can ferment anything with that stuff. It is tough as hell.
Depending on my results, I may try that as well. And wow you're not kidding about champagne yeast, I checked this morning and its still had bubbling going on.