What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Is that the same method that one dude uses for his Amber? It's called King Brian's Caramel Amber or something like that.
I'm supposed to be brewing an Irish Red right now but I'm just too lazy today after my morning run, probably tomorrow. On the plus side I kegged up my Steamboat Willy Cali Common and it came out real nice. After a little lagering it should be spot on.
Not real sure, this is the method I started using after some internet research about a year ago. It works really damn good though.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Looks like that Amber recipe just had a link to this thread explaining how to make the stuff.... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=114837

Same method?
Very similar. I let boil for the duration between 260-275f adding water throughout to maintain the temperature. If making Candi sugar instead of Candi syrup, once your desired color is reached you have to let go up to 300f then pour into a pan lined with foil or parchment to harden. When making syrup you don't need to let climb to 300f and you add water (3/4cup for a 1lb batch) and let cool.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Very similar. I let boil for the duration between 260-275f adding water throughout to maintain the temperature. If making Candi sugar instead of Candi syrup, once your desired color is reached you have to let go up to 300f then pour into a pan lined with foil or parchment to harden. When making syrup you don't need to let climb to 300f and you add water (3/4cup for a 1lb batch) and let cool.
Have you tried making infused versions? Ive seen the Cascade products but always had my doubts about what they'd actually attribute to the beer.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Been lurking this thread for a bit and decided to give this a shot. Brewed an extract kit from Austin Home brew yesterday. Bells 2 hearted extract clone. BIAB will be my next attempt I believe. Gotta do some more research!

Welcome to your next slippery slope! Congratulations on your first brew.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
^ dead honest truth lol. @Lezanstar feel free to ask any questions you'll get good answers out of this group. If theres any advice I can pass on its patience and attention to detail. Get those 2 down and you'll be making great beer in no time. And one more thing....get that pipeline going you'll be done drinking that first batch before you know it ;)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Have you tried making infused versions? Ive seen the Cascade products but always had my doubts about what they'd actually attribute to the beer.
I haven't tried any infused versions. When it comes to Belgian beers I try to keep it simple with the very best ingredients I can find and wouldn't want anything that tastes artificial. I do want to brew a dubbel that I age on some locally grown dates though

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I haven't tried any infused versions. When it comes to Belgian beers I try to keep it simple with the very best ingredients I can find and wouldn't want anything that tastes artificial. I do want to brew a dubbel that I age on some locally grown dates though
Cant blame you there, granted I would use them in something less traditional if the infusions actually came through well. That dates idea sounds really good though. Ive wanted to try something similar with figs one of these days but its never gotten off the tail end of the 'things to brew' list.
Speaking of fruits Ive been mulling over a great winter beer idea inspired by a hot sauce I had. It was a plum/jalapeño sauce with a really nice smokey character. Has me thinking smoked dubbel aged on chilis... but that sounds a little crazy lol.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
^ dead honest truth lol. @Lezanstar feel free to ask any questions you'll get good answers out of this group. If theres any advice I can pass on its patience and attention to detail. Get those 2 down and you'll be making great beer in no time. And one more thing....get that pipeline going you'll be done drinking that first batch before you know it ;)
Good advice! I paid very specific attention to all my instructions as well as my sterilization procedures. Not to mention I have been bombarding @jasonsbeer with questions via PM. He has been a big help.
The pipeline is a term I am familiar with, and I have a second fermentation bucket available, waiting for my next batch. I will be looking into brew in a bag techniques for the next few days so I can start an all grain batch. Hopefully next week I can start my second brew.
I do have a question about this method. I have read that BIAB seems to have a lower conversion % than the standard method using an MLT. Why would this be? It seems that with the same amount of water, you should get the same conversion?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Just think of boil in a bag as a giant tea bag. There is only so much sugar that you can wash out of it in a sugar solution. Some people dip the bag into clean water to further wash more sugar out of the grains but your still washing with sugar water and leaving some behind.
So the sparging is the difference?

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
^ that summed it up well. Some methods are more efficient than others but each generally has its trade offs too.
With BIAB your getting to brew AG, less gear needed, and smaller foot print but sacrificing a little efficiency to have it.

Edit - nvm you guys are on a roll lol

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The gentleman here are some of the more tolerant and helpful people you'll run into as far as homebrewing is concerned. They even have a few good ideas as well. Lol.
Strong truth lol. Some people in the homebrew scene are too damn intense. And when they start debating science and techniques things can get out of hand. I'm more of a RDWHAHB kind of guy so I find it pretty funny.