What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Rye IPA went into kegs tonight. Fg of 1.010 and 7.5% abv. Like biting into a grapefruit, skin and all when all of a sudden the rye comes in and kicks the back of your tastebuds. Too busy enjoying the sample from the 2liter with carb tap to take pictures. 4oz total of Columbus in the dryhop for 6 days seems perfect to my tastes

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Yessir, this rye IPA is just what I want it to be.

Big competition coming up and I could use a few new medals. Will enter this and the Oktoberfest and see if maybe I can turn my Mosaic Saison around in time for the Oct 18 entry deadline. Should be able to make it if I can brew next weekend.
I need to move closer to Gilbert AZ

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Yessir, this rye IPA is just what I want it to be.

Big competition coming up and I could use a few new medals. Will enter this and the Oktoberfest and see if maybe I can turn my Mosaic Saison around in time for the Oct 18 entry deadline. Should be able to make it if I can brew next weekend.
Gong to brew a rye IPA soon, mind sharing the full recipe? Was going to use the ruthless rye clone, but I'd love to take a look at yours first.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Gong to brew a rye IPA soon, mind sharing the full recipe? Was going to use the ruthless rye clone, but I'd love to take a look at yours first.
10gal batch

Mash at 153f
22lbs 2 row
6 lbs rye malt
2lbs crystal 60
1lb white wheat
1lb carapils
At least 1lb rice hulls

70min boil
2oz Mt Hood first wort hopped
2oz Columbus at 60min
3oz Mt Hood at flame out
4oz Columbus dryhop for 6 days

Ferment at 67f with us-05

Og: 1.065
Fg: 1.010
Abv: 7.5%

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Here is the recipe I was going to try. Let me know what you think.
Personally I would bump up the amount of rye and I would use a lower colored crystal malt as well as a lower mash temp to try and limit malt sweetness and thickness. I really enjoy how mine came out, but I would like to try a mash temp around 150f with this recipe to see if I like that a little better. Your hop schedule looks a little complex and the hops could wind up being a little muddled by all the different hops in there, but they could be awesome. I like the combo of Mt Hood (or any other noble-type hop variety) that gives an earthiness and a "spice" along with the Columbus that can be aggressively bitter and resinous, the two together work very well with the rye for my tastes. When it comes to my recipes, I try to keep them fairly simple. Too many different flavors have a tendency to get lost or conflict each other trying to dominate, while fewer ingredients that work well together produces more "consistently good" results. That being said, I have never brewed your recipe or anything with a hop schedule like it and it has the potential to be very good.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got to scratch another project of my to brew list today. An imperial Berliner dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin. 70/30 white wheat/German pils. Should be good. Also just tapped the Gose I made with Key West sea salt and a Oaked Choc RIS. Plan on adding Key Lime juice to the Gose but haven't had the chance to sit down and sample to figure out how much to use. The beer is great as is though!
Up next on deck is a nice Helles and finally going to do a LODO vs non on my cream ale. Been wanting to test that out for a while now and I have the room to do it.

Last edited:

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Brewed a Helles today and it was about as smooth a brew day as you get. Wort smelled and tasted amazing, like cereal with honey. While my closet is usually perfect for clean ales it's not quite cool enough for lagers so I'm setting up a swamp cooler for the first time in years! I won't be able to walk the lager temps down like the Germans but I should be able to pull off something similar to a Narziss accelerated schedule. I figure maintaining ~10f-15f below ambient for a few days shouldn't be too difficult for a swamp cooler so I'm going for it.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
The mosaic Saison I brewed last weekend is down to 1.010 as of yesterday. Gonna let sit until tomorrow and hope I squeeze a few more points out before I cold crash. Bottles for comp need to be dropped off on the 18th so I'm pushing this one a little. Flavors are all there and it's clean and had a healthy ferment.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Put a hop order in today for some 2016 Citra and Cascade for an IPA. Hope this years harvest is nice. I'm praying that all these new varieties popping up will make some of the favorites easier to get consistently. Prices on a lot of stuff didn't change and order limits were higher than years passed which seems good. But other varieties like Galaxy are nearly $30 a lb!
In other news the swamp cooler did an awesome job on keeping the temps down for the Helles. I was able to keep the bath around 45-50f for the first week and then slowly warmed up into the low 60s the last 2 days. I'll let it go another week or two then start lagering in the keg. Looking forward to trying this one.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Put a hop order in today for some 2016 Citra and Cascade for an IPA. Hope this years harvest is nice. I'm praying that all these new varieties popping up will make some of the favorites easier to get consistently. Prices on a lot of stuff didn't change and order limits were higher than years passed which seems good. But other varieties like Galaxy are nearly $30 a lb!
In other news the swamp cooler did an awesome job on keeping the temps down for the Helles. I was able to keep the bath around 45-50f for the first week and then slowly warmed up into the low 60s the last 2 days. I'll let it go another week or two then start lagering in the keg. Looking forward to trying this one.
Where did you purchase? What were the new varieties?