What's new

Homebrewers - Who is up for a BOTL brew?

Which style should the BOTL brew be? Vote for your top 3 styles.

• Scottish Ale

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Oatmeal Stout

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Porter

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Nut Brown Ale

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • English Special Bitter

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • IPA / Imperial IPA

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Belgian Strong Ale

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Dopplebock

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What about Catherine II and Peter the Great. Both are part of the supposed history behind the style.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Not sure who all might be following this thread, but I know we had a few brewers early in their careers and a few other parties interested in how this is done. I made a video just for you.

I talk about how I crush my grain for all grain brewing. Sorry for the shaky video...it was my 8 year old's first official video recording. :woot:

Edit: here's the malt conditioning link
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/01/16/malt-conditioning/

Last edited:

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Eric dropped me a message and OK'd the BOTL logo for this label.

I like this version because it is all color, no B&W photos. You guys can let me know if you have any preference or feedback. I'm no art designer, so I'm always happy to have feedback.

Last edited:

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Although I know it's not really necessary, I've been turning down the temp on the beer to cold crash. I plan to bottle on Sunday.

I had solid fermentation for 6 days or so, and it's been resting now for 3 weeks at 60 degress. I'll take a final gravity before moving to the bottle bucket.

I purchased some black bottle wax. Gonna see how these look all labeled and waxed.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My keg of this should be carbed by now. I set it on serving pressure and just let it chill so Ive yet to have a pint. I did take a little nip when I kegged it though and it's really tasty. Will definitely age well.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I couldn't help myself lol.

Pours like motor oil in color and consistency. Thin head, decent retention, nice lacing. Aroma is floral, dark fruit, dark chocolate, and an almost cognac like alcohol note. Flavor follows along the same lines. Cocoa and dark fruit balanced perfectly off a subtle booziness and smooth roast backbone. Slight warmth in the finish though the ABV is still deceivingly smooth. Full bodied, almost syrup like mouthfeel. Overall it's no surprise this recipe took top honors it's an excellent example of the style.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456017711.730007.jpg

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

Pours like motor oil in color and consistency. Thin head, decent retention, nice lacing. Aroma is floral, dark fruit, dark chocolate, and an almost cognac like alcohol note. Flavor follows along the same lines. Cocoa and dark fruit balanced perfectly off a subtle booziness and smooth roast backbone. Slight warmth in the finish though the ABV is still deceivingly smooth. Full bodied, almost syrup like mouthfeel. Overall it's no surprise this recipe took top honors it's an excellent example of the style.

View attachment 77857
Looks great!

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

View attachment 77857
I agree with your assessment 100%. Even straight out of the fermenter this is a great beer. Shouldn't need much aging at all.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I agree with your assessment 100%. Even straight out of the fermenter this is a great beer. Shouldn't need much aging at all.
Im thinking what really brings this beer together is the way the special B and high ABV work together. They really drive the dark fruit notes making it so drinkable incredibly young. Most RIS this young taste like coffee flavored rocket fuel lol.