What's new

How do you afford it?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been seeing a lot of pretty amazing collections lately and I'm wondering how you guys do it. Am I doing something wrong or do you guys just collect cigars and never smoke them? I couldn't imagine having 100s of sticks in my house without constantly smoking them. Maybe I need to start playing the lottery haha. I try to buy when I see deals but $100 goes quick. Any suggestions?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Slow down a bit. You signed up here on Jan 10th it looks like. It's been 8 days. Welcome by the way! :)

A lot of us have been doing this for years and years, trust me, you'll have a collection in no time, especially if you hang around here enough!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I won't. I'm fairly good with my money (I.e. My wife keeps me in check) That's why I don't have ALL OF THE CIGARS!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I like it! Yea brother, you'll have "hundreds of cigars you don't smoke" real soon :) Just wait on the sales brudda!

Smallbatch is doing a sale tonight actually on Crowned Heads/EPC/and Illusione. I showed restraint and didn't buy shit, but just sayin.... :)

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's all about getting the best deals. ..get on Cigar Manufacturers sites and get on their email lists for specials they have of cigars you like. I bet I'm on about 20 and they contact me when they have special sales going on. You don't have to buy cigars by the box......a couple of 5 paks keep you at budget that's affordable ....like $30 a month is easily doable.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Also try setting aside a little money weekly/monthly so that when really big sales come around (Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc) you can really take advantage of them.

~ Dale
Georgia, USA

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I put every purchase on my credit card....then when I win the lottery I'm going to pay it off.

Ok I don't do that, and neither should you. Cigars are a hobby, I always buy what
I can with available cash, never on credit. Everyone here has different financial situations. So some can buy a whole bunch at one time...others slowly build collections over years and years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As people have said scope out the deals. Small batch is great.

@Cigary43 is spot on. I started up again when we bought our house in May. I set a budget of 30 to 50 bucks a month depending on the deals I could find. I also won a few random contests I found online and have won JR Cigars Beat the dealer 3 times. But, by far the best way is to just set a budget and be patient.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
dont impulse buy.. plan out your purchases..

I wait for sales, things to go on clearance, etc.. and will occasionally hit the auction boards and throw some serious low ball bids out there.. 90% of the time I dont "win"... but when I do.. I win big (get stuff super cheap)..

Emersons had a great deal on CH 2014 Angels Anvil (buy 3, get 3) several months back.. I love that stick.. but.. Im also cheap.. and rarely smoke cigars that size.. so.. I rarely (if ever) buy them.. but.. once they went on B3G3.. I picked up 3 boxes (50% of is a deal worth jumping on)..

B&B Tobacco used to run a groupon a couple of times a year (havent seen it in a while) where you bought a $100 coupon for $50... I used to jump on that every time I saw it and pick up a box of Padron Londres (about $97 shipped to your door from B&B).. once again.. 50% off is a deal worth jumping on...

etc...etc..

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I've built my collection up over the last 3 years. I currently has around 500 cigars that fit in a 110 qt cooler. Now that it is pretty much full, I only buy to keep my current stock up. I'll also make sure that I have room if there is an upcoming release that I want to purchase. I'm eagerly awaiting the skinny monsters and will probably buy a few boxes, so I will cut my buying down to make room when they are released.
I also seem to make more purchases in the winter time and buy almost nothing over the summer so I have room when next winter rolls around. If you are just starting, I would highly suggest that you don't buy a lot until you are sure you know what you like. I bought a bunch of crap when I started before I realized there was a ton of stuff I didn't like a year into this hobby.