What's new

How do you afford it?

ChipS

Chip
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Whatever you do don't try to keep up with the Joneses - you'll never be happy if you do. In life there will always be someone who is bigger, faster, stronger, smarter or has more cigars than you.
Always keep some cash in reserve for when a badass deal pops up.
Smoke less than you buy even if its only by a couple sticks a month.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I just troll on BOTL for sticks and get some that way.

Or was that @ChuckMejia :)

My suggestion is to buy good cigars cheap, not cheap cigars just because they are cheap. I usually buy a bunch at a time and get very good prices but often hear people say "well, I can only spend $___" I get that, everyone can only spend $___ but that ____ is different for everyone.

As you get going here, you will find people in the same boat and you guys should get together and buy in bulk and split it up to make it more feasible to build up a collection.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
One little tip about signing up for the retailer's deals, use a stand-alone email address. I get so many it overwhelmed even my secondary inbox, so I created a new Gmail address just for cigars.

And one caveat to the credit card usage is if you pay your balance off monthly. I've done this solely for the rewards/points, but I always pay my balance in full each month. Any savings on the front-end will be offset by the interest, and the hobby isn't worth going into debt for. Cigars are a luxury item, & they're to be enjoyed with your disposable income, not money you don't have.

There's always going to be someone in every hobby that has more of, or nicer versions of, whatever you're into. Enjoy it anyways. Cigars aren't worth fretting over, they're for relaxing.

Cheers!

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I just troll on BOTL for sticks and get some that way.

Or was that @ChuckMejia :)

My suggestion is to buy good cigars cheap, not cheap cigars just because they are cheap. I usually buy a bunch at a time and get very good prices but often hear people say "well, I can only spend $___" I get that, everyone can only spend $___ but that ____ is different for everyone.

As you get going here, you will find people in the same boat and you guys should get together and buy in bulk and split it up to make it more feasible to build up a collection.
How's the golf?

:)

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Depends on your budget. My wife and I are on a pretty tight budget (I'm working on my 3rd and 4th degree...) but we do budget 'fun money' for each of us to spend each month on stuff we want. I just use that pretty much solely on cigars and spend wisely. I also use any and all birthday/Christmas money on cigars as well.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Don't worry bro, in a couple years you'll have plenty of cigars that you won't smoke and wonder why the hell you bought them in the first place.

Moral of the story, be careful reading the descriptions on some of the retailer sites that pump the crazy/cheap samplers to get you all excited about buying crap cigars. Buying cheap cigars are fine, just don't buy a ton wanting to build up a collection because before you know it, they will just be collecting dust and you'll wonder wtf?? :confused: :(

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm not looking to spend all my money and over do it. I am more just curious about everyone's rotation, how long they took to build it up, where they get it, etc. It's gonna be fun. Luckily my wife will smoke cigars with me so it's a good excuse to buy 5pack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dont impulse buy.. plan out your purchases..

I wait for sales, things to go on clearance, etc.. and will occasionally hit the auction boards and throw some serious low ball bids out there.. 90% of the time I dont "win"... but when I do.. I win big (get stuff super cheap)..

Emersons had a great deal on CH 2014 Angels Anvil (buy 3, get 3) several months back.. I love that stick.. but.. Im also cheap.. and rarely smoke cigars that size.. so.. I rarely (if ever) buy them.. but.. once they went on B3G3.. I picked up 3 boxes (50% of is a deal worth jumping on)..

B&B Tobacco used to run a groupon a couple of times a year (havent seen it in a while) where you bought a $100 coupon for $50... I used to jump on that every time I saw it and pick up a box of Padron Londres (about $97 shipped to your door from B&B).. once again.. 50% off is a deal worth jumping on...

etc...etc..
Where do you find these auctions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk