What's new

How do you Carry?

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
It's illegal in NYC. Like, the clip of a pocket knife on your pocket can land you in jail. That's an area you don't want to go near whilst armed.
That's correct I should have clarified the laws are very stringent here. I'm editing my post for yet a third time.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
It's illegal in NYC. Like, the clip of a pocket knife on your pocket can land you in jail. That's an area you don't want to go near whilst armed.
That's correct I should have clarified the laws are very stringent here. I'm editing my post for yet a third time.
I do understand that. I also understand that if you are traveling with a gun, don't travel through NYC, that can get you in hot water. My question was more towards why aren't you as a citizen of NYC, fighting for your right to carry rather than "BOHICA" it.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Being from NYC, I would imagine that you need to carry more than a lot here. My question to you is why wouldn't you want to carry?
It's funny that the perception of NYC is of that. There are neighborhoods you shouldn't be in at night, and some during the day. But many of the neighborhoods that created the perception of NYC have been taken over by yuppies and hipsters (ie Williamsburg Brooklyn, Astoria, Jackson Heights). It's a great place that Giuliani and Bloomberg have cleaned up and fortified (respectively). Manhattan has turned into Disneyland where the biggest threat is the high likelihood of being trampled by the tourists.

I've never felt the need to be armed at all times. Maybe the areas I frequent are low risk. Shit happens I know, but generally robberies in good neighborhoods are rip and run without physical harm. I'd prefer to just hand over my wallet and be done (thankfully I have not had this happen to me, no jinx). My home is alarmed at all times and believe that's an effective deterrent to crime. If someone were to enter while we are home, the police are alerted and arrive within minutes.

Again, I know this perspective differs from most Americans. I'm supportive of people's decisions to carry or not.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
This is the part I have concern with. Police are only minutes away when you only have seconds to live...
LOL. I knew that response was coming. Just saying the perspective here is a little different. Maybe right maybe wrong. There is something to be said for the comfort that comes with a weapon, I get it.

Hopefully I'll never be in a position to prove or disprove.

Ok yes, derailing done. My apologies gents.

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
As an American you have the right to bear arms. You choose to live in a state that detracts that right from its inhabitants.

I can't imagine going out jogging. Lol. In all seriousness I carry everywhere. If I jogged, I'd carry while I did it.

Back to the OP

I carry a Glock 42 as of late. I used to carry a Glock 36. I bought the 42 just to have, but it has taken over carry duty.

IWB in an Old Faithful Holster. I like the holster, but I hardly ever tuck my shirt in. If I do I switch to a cheap ankle holster. Probably only ever worn it three or 4 times.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
No, a pocket holster doesnt attach to anything.

It works on friction. A good pocket holster will be cut with angles that will hang up in the pocket material allowing the pistol to be drawn easily, leaving the holster behind in the pocket. Some incorporate "sticky" material (not actually sticky.. but a rubberized or otherwise "tacky" material on the outside that helps it to "grip" the pocket as well.. but to be honest.. I see that on more cheap, less well executed designs than I do on quality holsters..

You want a holster around a pistol, no matter where you put it.. pocket or otherwise.. the holster protects the trigger/trigger guard.. which protects you from an accidental discharge.. carries the pistol at the correct angle for draw, in the right place for comfort, etc..

in the case of a pocket holster, it also keeps pocket lint, and other junk from getting into the pistol as easily.. keeping it both clean, and more reliable/functional.. and.. it helps to break up the outline of the pistol... if you dont know what youre looking at.. you wouldnt know that my little LCP is a pistol in my pocket.. its so flat and small that its pretty indistinctive to an untrained or unaware eye..

but.. in this holster:
even a trained eye, would have a hell of a time figuring out I had a pistol in my front pocket, as opposed to an iPhone..
Thanks. I appreciate the serious answer Dave.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
No, a pocket holster doesnt attach to anything.

It works on friction. A good pocket holster will be cut with angles that will hang up in the pocket material allowing the pistol to be drawn easily, leaving the holster behind in the pocket. Some incorporate "sticky" material (not actually sticky.. but a rubberized or otherwise "tacky" material on the outside that helps it to "grip" the pocket as well.. but to be honest.. I see that on more cheap, less well executed designs than I do on quality holsters..

You want a holster around a pistol, no matter where you put it.. pocket or otherwise.. the holster protects the trigger/trigger guard.. which protects you from an accidental discharge.. carries the pistol at the correct angle for draw, in the right place for comfort, etc..

in the case of a pocket holster, it also keeps pocket lint, and other junk from getting into the pistol as easily.. keeping it both clean, and more reliable/functional.. and.. it helps to break up the outline of the pistol... if you dont know what youre looking at.. you wouldnt know that my little LCP is a pistol in my pocket.. its so flat and small that its pretty indistinctive to an untrained or unaware eye..

but.. in this holster:
even a trained eye, would have a hell of a time figuring out I had a pistol in my front pocket, as opposed to an iPhone..
Great explanation Dave. Being retired LE, I can carry everywhere, every state. To carry or not carry is a situation location choice for me. But most of the time I carry my Kimber, or my Sig P220 or my HKP7 or my Sig p238. Just depends upon if I'm working, serving at my church or relaxing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your responses gents.

Though I didn't realize I could tuck in a shirt while wearing an IWB holster (thanks), I don't think this is one of those things I can explore adequately on the net. I am going to have to get out there and go the tactile route.

Thanks guys.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know crossbreed makes an IWB holster called a "super tuck" or at least they used to.
Still do - will probably buy from them. Actually, I'll probably spend as much on holsters figuring this all out as the gun. Hence, I better love the gun lol.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I have worn a G23 with my Comptac Gen1 Minotaur holster and tucked in shirts many times. In my experience printing is only an issue bending over or sitting with out a chair back. Tucking a shirt with more than a subcompact is certainly dependent on your body type. I have a big chest/shoulders for my size and a relatively small waist, so hiding a G23 even in an "athletic" cut T-shirt is very easy for me. I also have a sig938 with a Garret IWB holster for more slim cut shirts and pants. Then I have a cheap Stickie holster that I wear for runs and such with the 938. I keep Corbon DPX in my carry pieces, 95gr in the 938.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Thats fine if you dont like it, its works for me and my purposes. I just wanted to give the dude an option since I have carried exactly as he is asking about. There are pages of suggestions and no conferred experience with carry and IWB with a tucked in shirt.

Different strokes and all that right?

Last edited:

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Not approving this product, just showing options. Been researching this myself.
Smartcarry:

3 speed holster. Same idea, different execution

Would like to try one of these style holsters before I shelled out the cash.