What's new

How do you Carry?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
If its designed properly.. the pistol wont be pointing at your junk.. it would be pointing slightly in front of your junk..

no different than an OWB or IWB "hip" holster.. or an appendix carry holster, etc..

None point at your hip, leg, gut, etc.. (if they are properly designed and properly worn).. you do not sweep your own body when drawing or reholstering... the muzzle lays just outside of your own body line...

this is the primary reason I dont like most shoulder holsters or crossdraws.. people have a natural tendency to either sweep themselves.. or others on the draw or reholster.. its the way they (most) are designed..

this is not the case with the holster above however..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I picked the pistol over lunch. I'll take a couple three months I figure getting to know it - well, then I'll concern myself with dressing with it.

Beretta Nano in 9.

Not sure why looking at photos of this pistol it always seems so large. The thing is tinny.

Thanks for all your inputs - I'll let you know how I end up carrying... if I indeed do end up carrying.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks for all your responses gents.

Though I didn't realize I could tuck in a shirt while wearing an IWB holster (thanks), I don't think this is one of those things I can explore adequately on the net. I am going to have to get out there and go the tactile route.

Thanks guys.
That is the only way to do it. I tried a lot of stuff, and spent a lot of money, just going off of web site recommendations. I finally settled on a cheap BLACKAWK that no "serious" carrier ever would have recomended.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the only way to do it. I tried a lot of stuff, and spent a lot of money, just going off of web site recommendations. I finally settled on a cheap BLACKAWK that no "serious" carrier ever would have recomended.
You know - it's whatever works.

I have never owned a double action only pistol before. I figure it'll take some getting used too before I become proficient with it, but I really did want that long pull for a carry gun. I figure that carrying it will be dependent on how quickly I become accomplished with the trigger. That will take some time I figure - lots of time to look for the right carry method for me.

As speed isn't something I obsess about, as it stands, an ankle holster seems like the perfect solution for me - but we'll see.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ankle carry seems like a fine idea until a guy with a knife is threatening to kill you for your wallet and groceries in the Sam's parking lot. You might not be obsessed with speed, but when it comes time to use it you become very obsessed with speed. I would never recommend ankle carry. The time it takes to draw is only one downside. You have to be in a position where you can kneel down, raise your pants leg, and unstrap the gun. All of that must occur while motor skills and mental processing speed is being affected by adrenaline rushing into your body at a rate you can't imagine.

Plus, it puts you in a naturally submissive position. It isn't a good idea to give your agresor the height, movement, and speed advantage when you're already playing catch up.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ankle carry seems like a fine idea until a guy with a knife is threatening to kill you for your wallet and groceries in the Sam's parking lot. You might not be obsessed with speed, but when it comes time to use it you become very obsessed with speed. I would never recommend ankle carry. The time it takes to draw is only one downside. You have to be in a position where you can kneel down, raise your pants leg, and unstrap the gun. All of that must occur while motor skills and mental processing speed is being affected by adrenaline rushing into your body at a rate you can't imagine.

Plus, it puts you in a naturally submissive position. It isn't a good idea to give your agresor the height, movement, and speed advantage when you're already playing catch up.
Well, back to the drawing board lol. Thanks.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well, back to the drawing board lol. Thanks.
Read some of Massad Ayoob's stuff on carrying. Then do some further studying. The effects on your body during that moment are insane. Plus. there is a shit ton of post shooting issues with laws and civil trials. Plus, train with what you plan to run. When I hit the range I run through the state's 25 round or 50 round qualifying drill for police. If I can't do that I at least practice drawing from the holster and firing double taps or controlled pairs. In real life things tend to happen at less than thirty feet and in less than thirty seconds. Muscle memory may very well save your life.

If you're new attend one of the low level NRA courses to get familiar with things. It wasn't until I had to draw (not shoot) that I realized how woefully unprepared I really was.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ankle carry is OK (not great.. but.. OK...) for a BUG..

but.. I personally would never consider it for a primary weapon..

if the goal is deep cover.. there are far better options in almost every clothing situation...

if the goal is comfort.. there are FAR better options...

if the goal is fast access.. there are FAR better options...

if the goal is security (protect the weapon).. there are far better options..

etc..etc..

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Read some of Massad Ayoob's stuff on carrying. Then do some further studying. The effects on your body during that moment are insane. Plus. there is a shit ton of post shooting issues with laws and civil trials. Plus, train with what you plan to run. When I hit the range I run through the state's 25 round or 50 round qualifying drill for police. If I can't do that I at least practice drawing from the holster and firing double taps or controlled pairs. In real life things tend to happen at less than thirty feet and in less than thirty seconds. Muscle memory may very well save your life.

If you're new attend one of the low level NRA courses to get familiar with things. It wasn't until I had to draw (not shoot) that I realized how woefully unprepared I really was.
I'll echo the general sentiment here: practice your draw religiously until it becomes an unconscious effort.

I'd skip Ayoob's writings at this point though.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
The most important advice I will give you from my 25 year LE career is no matter how you decide to carry, you must spend a lot of time becoming proficient in drawing the weapon, firing it and reholstering it. Everyday when I was on the job, I still practiced safely drawing and reholstering my weapon from standing and seated positions. Yep, even from the passenger or driver seat of a radio car.. I was a DX (distinguished expert) shooter on the job, I still spend time at the range to maintain my skills.

Now that I carry different guns in different holsters, I took time to become extremely proficient in this. Example, I never carried my Kimber until now, I carry it cocked and locked with the safety on. I can draw and fire the weapon extremely accurate from various positions, hitting the target in the fatal area Everytime. That came from practice, I put that effort and practice in all the guns I carry, whether it's my Kimber, My Beretta, my Sig P238, my HK p7m8 or my Sig P220. It's that important. I have others, but prefer these for what I do now.

Holster choice is up to personal preference and feel. What works for me, might not work for you. My Sig P238 I carry in a Dm Bullard holster inside my wait and, either at the rear next to my hip or in the front waistband. Depends upon the clothes I wear and my preference to keep my guns concealed, remember, I know the gun is there, no one else needs to know,

A caveat about carrying on your ankle. I have witnessed to many people loose their guns because they purchased cheap holsters. It's a poor place to carry, hard to access, takes time to draw and does not feel comfortable in anyway, I would advice to stay away from this manner of carry, which also limits you on what gun Yiu can carry,

Hope this advice helps.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
A caveat about carrying on your ankle. I have witnessed to many people loose their guns because they purchased cheap holsters. It's a poor place to carry, hard to access, takes time to draw and does not feel comfortable in anyway, I would advice to stay away from this manner of carry, which also limits you on what gun Yiu can carry,

Hope this advice helps.
It's also VERY rough on your carry gun. IF you were to choose this as a method of carry, make sure you choose a reliable firearm that works even when dirty like a J frame S&W revolver. Guns on the ankle pick up all the crap you walk through, especially in a cold or wet area. (Snow, mud, dirt, sand, puddles, etc.]

Kind of like a shoulder rig. .. looks great on TV. . . Not so practical in the real world.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I shouder carry in winter because it is easier when wearing heavy long coats. It is easier for me than lifting up three or four layers of clothes and trying to get the gun out without fumbling it or snagging it.

A J frame in the front pocket might work better depending on the coat. I just haven't tried it yet.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I shouder carry in winter because it is easier when wearing heavy long coats. It is easier for me than lifting up three or four layers of clothes and trying to get the gun out without fumbling it or snagging it.

A J frame in the front pocket might work better depending on the coat. I just haven't tried it yet.
J-frame in the coat pocket is an okay option. It's my Plan B, for when it's exceptionally cold.
Plan A is an open-front coat with a sweatshirt beneath. Gun is under sweatshirt. Same draw as any other season.

Shoulder holsters, outside of a VERY limited scope, are terrible ideas. They put you and others in danger during even the most mundane draw. Add in pressure, watch out. More importantly, I've never found anything easier to do a gun grab on. I'm of the opinion that they're a sweet way to get ventilated with your own gun.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
5.11 sling here (lazy) or "in the pants" leather...galco (.45 subcompact) cheers

for me weather is a big factor on deciding for the day too

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple different ways, OWB in a kydex holster with a jacket on over it works for me. Otherwise it's a Crossbreed Supertuck with the J-Hooks. With that setup, my full sized M&P is nigh on impossible to see.