What's new

How do you handle a cigar mooch ?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for all your help guys but

I think I have fully given up on this guy ...

Yesterday, him and his wife came over, his wife was dropping something off for my wife..and he says.. Hey I brought a few sticks. , you want to smoke..so we go outside and he hands me a stick....

An Undercrown belicoso.. Not a bad stick for this guy.. I am impressed.

I light up. And just as he is about to light.his, He stops and says...you know what, someone gave me a stick earlier today. Maybe I should smoke that.
So, he goes to his car..comes back..I'm an 1/8 into my Undercrown and he pulls out........ A DE Ratfukingzilla. He smiles at my shock..then cuts it and lights it.

I'm speechless ... because I have been talking to him about this stick for months. And how they are so hard to get. And the fact that I have never even seen one let alone smoked one.

He tells me a story about this attorney friend ( he's an IT guy in. law firm...just like me..different firms) who picked this up somewhere in the Chicago.
He begged the attorney for weeks and finally traded him a Diplomatico , I gave him months ago for it.

So, trying not to be jealous.. I kick back with a Johnny Walker double black and try to enjoy my Undercrown...when. A little over a 1/4 into his cigar.
He snuffs it.
And complains its giving him a head rush..it's to strong for him.

I'm stunned , shocked, saddened...and decide you know what..this guy is an asshole. I give up.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
He tells me a story about this attorney friend ( he's an IT guy in. law firm...just like me..different firms) who picked this up somewhere in the Chicago.
He begged the attorney for weeks and finally traded him a Diplomatico , I gave him months ago for it.

This is the part that gets me. He got it with a cigar you gave him??

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Don't give up on the mope...have some fun with the situation. Your wives are friends, so it doesn't sound like he's going away anytime soon. There are many, many ways you can have some real amusement here. :)

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Don't give up on the mope...have some fun with the situation. Your wives are friends, so it doesn't sound like he's going away anytime soon. There are many, many ways you can have some real amusement here. :)
I agree, your wives are friends so I would just immediately stop giving this guy good cigars, or any cigars for that matter, and he'll realize quick that you don't appreciate him taking advantage of your benevolence.

I know it shouldn't surprise me, but I'm honestly shocked that people act this way with people they consider friends.

Keep us updated.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
How do you handle a cigar mooch ?

Before he comes over, find a good deal on a box of sticks. Tell him about the deal and then ask him to split a box with you. Tell him you will keep the box at your place so he will always have a smoke when he comes over.

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Do they really make those little firecrackers for cigars or is that only in the cartoons??? Sounds like a solution none the less......as long as he doesn't just snuff it out like the Ratzilla :confused:

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
There are many types of cigar smokers. Not everyone out there that enjoys a fine cigar, is a BOTL. I'm sure we have all met cigar guys that just don't quite grasp the Brotherhood aspect of what this hobby can be about. I know I've even met guys from this board that are better at embodying the non-brotherhood aspects of it, ego-stroking, mooching, etc.

Like you already said, time to write him off. Just because his wife is friends with your wife, doesn't mean you two have to be best buds.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

This is the part that gets me. He got it with a cigar you gave him??
EXACTLY ! .. a Cuban I got a while back from a PIF on the CA forums.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
being a mooch, and being an intentional jackass are two completely different things..

I agree with the above posts.. if your wife and his wife are friends.. cool.. dont create a problem.. you'll will win a battle, only to find yourself loosing the war on the homefront..

That said.. I dont see a need/requirement to extend an olive branch either.. (unless you are going to slap him in the face with it)...

A guy like this I wouldnt even give access to my moochador..

I'd simply tell him "no" the next time he asks for a cigar.. tell him you are low on stock, dont feel like smoking right now, or whatever "nice" thing you have to say to keep the wife from getting pissed at you over it..

half the enjoyment of smoking is sharing the experience with friends.. this guy obviously isnt one.. why waste good smoke with him (he is going to burn one of your good sticks.. and you are not going to fully enjoy the one you are smoking either as long as he is hanging around and acting like a douche bag....

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I don't think anymore effort needs to go into this. No rebanding of sticks, no 1 cigar a day rule, no keeping a separate humi. This guy is intentionally being a dick, it's time to treat him likewise.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's a tough call, but similarly as a few fellow members have already said, it sounds like this person is now at a point of just trying to take advantage of you. Also, similar to you I am not one who likes to be an asshole, but when it comes to my cigars (especially my last ones) I would put that person in check telling them to either bring cigars to trade, match up stick for stick with you and definitely would never let him / her have their own choice of which of my babies to smoke.

If it really gets awkward for you, I would just say you are saving those cigars or a special occasion. I've been in similar situations as this one and have told the person before coming to my house you bring some cigars and I'll take out some cigars and we can share smokes. Always worked itself out afterwards.

Best of luck!

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thanks for all your help guys but

I think I have fully given up on this guy ...

Yesterday, him and his wife came over, his wife was dropping something off for my wife..and he says.. Hey I brought a few sticks. , you want to smoke..so we go outside and he hands me a stick....

An Undercrown belicoso.. Not a bad stick for this guy.. I am impressed.

I light up. And just as he is about to light.his, He stops and says...you know what, someone gave me a stick earlier today. Maybe I should smoke that.
So, he goes to his car..comes back..I'm an 1/8 into my Undercrown and he pulls out........ A DE Ratfukingzilla. He smiles at my shock..then cuts it and lights it.

I'm speechless ... because I have been talking to him about this stick for months. And how they are so hard to get. And the fact that I have never even seen one let alone smoked one.

So, trying not to be jealous.. I kick back with a Johnny Walker double black and try to enjoy my Undercrown...when. A little over a 1/4 into his cigar.
He snuffs it.
And complains its giving him a head rush..it's to strong for him.

I'm stunned , shocked, saddened...and decide you know what..this guy is an asshole. I give up.

Wow that is shocking dude, I would have given you the rat, what a dick. he doesn't deserve to be your friend just tell your wife and if you have to continue either say no or give him crap while you smoke what you like. That is beyond amazing he is either an asshole or just has no clue.

If it helps
I have never seen a rat in person either and I did try hard to get some.