What's new

How much does/has the band of a cigar influence(d) you perception of it?

How does the band of a cigar affect your perception of it?

• always influences perception of a cigar

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • sometimes influences perception of a cigar

Votes: 47 38.2%
  • never influences perception of a cigar

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • in the past it always influenced perception of a cigar

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • in the past it sometimes influenced perception of a cigar

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • has never influenced perception of a cigar

Votes: 17 13.8%

• Total voters

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Have you ever decided to smoke or not to smoke a cigar based on it's band? Even if it's not your current practice, has it been in the past?

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Good questions. Having only smoked cigars for a month or so, my input doesn't mean too much. But, I most often go by the appearance of the wrapper and the look of the foot rather than what's on the band. Being so new to all the different kinds of cigars the information on the band doesn't mean much to me.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
It is a proven fact that the appearance of a band can change the impression that someone has of a cigar. That is why there are blind reviews. The band, just as its Brand name cause a bias to occur.

That is why I try smokes no matter what anyone says about them. What I like or may not like might be someone else's treasure.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I do appreciate a cigar's looks. I think the double banding on an AB Tempus is gorgeous (in addition to the gold and purple color scheme), I really like the elegant black and white Old English of Illusiones, and the rustic simplicity of the Padron Series and Cubao bands (not to mention the red and black palette of those Dracs, which look positively vicious), but I was drawn to these cigars first because of the great advice I'd gotten about them (e.g. their flavor profiles). I think my opinion on them is just like my opinion on the way the wrapper looks--they have a certain appeal, I won't deny that, but I won't discount a cigar's potential quality on the looks of either. In truth, when I'm at the B&M, I'm actually sometimes drawn to those cigars without bands (they seem so mysterious, like they've got some sort of great secret they're hiding).

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I put always. I am simply admitting the truth based on my experience blind tasting cigars. It's amazing how much more you notice when you don't have any clue what it is you're smoking & are able to formulate a completely unbiased opinion based strictly on the taste, construction, burn, etc.

I admit to also pre-judging sticks based on it having a quality looking band or cheaply made - it definitely influences my descision to try something new. Now obviously once I've tried it, that is subject to change. But I never really fully understood how much of a difference a band makes.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
i am attracted to a good looking band, but that doesn't mean i'd buy it. i do consider how the stick itself looks. especially a darker oily wrapper. light wrappers won't get a second look from me. pete's darker stuff, the sun grown fuentes, even some of the maduros are always gonna attract me.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
The first time I saw an Oliva 2 Master blends I thought they just put to much into it so it has to be a sales ploy. I passed it up I don't know how many times not only because of the band but the price as well. One day I figured what the heck and gave it a try.....Man it blew me away!! The Oliva MB 2 was awsome. So there's a lesson in what you may think is a band that looks to good to be true.:cbig:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I had to in all honesty put "always" as my answer. I'm trying to get out of this, but when I'm honest my initiall impression of a cigar (pre-smoke) is influenced by the band.

For example, I've been trying a lot of new sticks lately, and I've had a Perdomo Patriarch sitting with others in the "to be tried" pile. I have yet to try it, and I know one of the reasons is the plain band. When I think about it logically, there is of course nothing wrong with a plain band--Tatuaje is one of my favorite manufacture's. But on a perception level, it still effects me.

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm don't believe in a lot of the false marketing tactics some of these companies are pertaining too. Though I enjoy the Bands on cigars, they don't matter when it comes to smoking the cigar. I enjoy the flavor and complexity. When it comes to appearance, bands are just an extra for me.

EX: Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve or Tatuaje Regios. What would you grab under first impression never knowing anything about both companies or never trying one of their smokes.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used to think that simple bands (Read: Padron, Montecristo) were for "cheaper" cigars and that gaudy bands (Alec Bradley) were somehow "better."

The Padron 2000/3000 has been one of my favorite cigars and a regular in my weekly lineup now. :grin:

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
When I started smoking I always judged a new cigar by its band when I would look over the stock in my B&M. In those days, I had no idea what I was doing and would just pick a cigar based on its appearance.

I remember smoking a Bahia robusto and thinking, "What a gorgeous band for a disappointing cigar!"

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I put used to as I have been fooled too many time by fancy labels. I know some cigars live up to the fancy labels but not all. I know Habanos has stepped up there labels lately but still nothing as fancy a simple Gurkha. Think that is enough reason to try ignore the band and concentrate on the brand.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bands used to influence my purchases as well as name brands. Normally if never heard of it I looked right over it. Now I look forward to trying new things. I don't let bands or brands unfluence me anymore! I am my own person!!! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I find that a band may have a negative influence( too loud or just ugly colors) but seldom will it make me try a stick. The cigars that I like tend to have very plain bands. They let the tobacco do the talking.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Being very new at smoking the band means nothing to me. The first thing my buddy told me was to try everything. You could take the bands off and I would still smoke.