What's new

How often do you retrohale?

How often during a smoke do you retrohale?

• Every few draws

Votes: 73 45.3%
  • A few times during the smoke

Votes: 27 16.8%
  • Only once or twice

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Not at all / I don't enjoy retrohaling

Votes: 29 18.0%
  • Other (stated in my post)

Votes: 16 9.9%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I forget who the quote is attributed to, but in a cigar magazine I was reading a few weeks ago, a famous cigar maker had stated that "you haven't really tasted what a cigar has to offer until you retrohale."

And you know what? I completely agree. There have been a good half dozen cigars in the last month wherein the flavour profile completely changed when I exhaled the smoke through my nose.

My question is - how often do you retrohale during a smoke?

Personally, I just do it 3 or 4 times throughout the entire smoke. Once for each third of the stick, and another once or twice thrown in there for good measure whenever I felt like it.

Though I've heard of others who retrohale nearly every second or third draw.

And, on the other end of the spectrum, I've met people who really don't enjoy retrohaling, saying it irritates their sinuses too much to be enjoyable.

Where do you fall, and why?

Rev

Perfecto Lounge
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been enjoying cigars for 25 years and never retrohale. However, Andy Scharfman was in my lounge talking shop and noticed I didn't retrohale. I tried it for the first time and understood immediately why many swear by this method of enjoying a cigar.

However, for me I'm able to ascertain the flavors and body well enough without the retrohale. Every now and then I'll probably give it a shot, especially with new cigars.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I'm trying to get my technique down.

Every once in a while I attempt a retrohale and end up just swallowing or inhaling the smoke :rolling:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Few times per stick usually. Sometimes I just forget. :dunno:

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Every few puffs I make sure to do it. It greatly improves the complexity of the cigar and lets you enjoy it far more.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Everytime. I notice some video reviews that I watch, they don't do it. I wonder how they can give an accurate description of the flavors.

Tast is subjective.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yep. Almost every time I take smoke in. Maybe 2nd three times per smoke I don't retrohale.