What's new

How often do you retrohale?

How often during a smoke do you retrohale?

• Every few draws

Votes: 73 45.3%
  • A few times during the smoke

Votes: 27 16.8%
  • Only once or twice

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Not at all / I don't enjoy retrohaling

Votes: 29 18.0%
  • Other (stated in my post)

Votes: 16 9.9%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
So are there any tricks to retrohaling technique?

Like I said earlier in the thread, sometimes I get it, sometimes I end up just accidentally swallowing or inhaling the smoke.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I just close my mouth and push the smoke up through my sinus cavity and out the nose. I've heard some say it helps to make a snorting type motion, but slower :dunno:. Just comes easy for me, I smoked 2 packs a day in college though so I've had practice.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Like I said earlier in the thread, sometimes I get it, sometimes I end up just accidentally swallowing or inhaling the smoke.
I just draw the smoke into my mouth, and exhale thru my nose.

I retrohale often and find I get a lot more flavor that way.
I have had a few smokes that were just a little too spicy/peppery for a constant retrohale, but not many.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to go through Henry Clays by the box. I loved that thick, creamy smoke and would retrohale often with the cigar always in my mouth. My sinuses have paid the price. I still smoke over 400 cigars a year but never retrohale anymore.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have to agree, unless your a super taster you can get a better appreciation from the flavors of the cigar by way of retrohale. It's kind of tricky if your not a custom to it, but after some practice you stop concentrating on it and it just comes natural. I only do it a handful of times while smoking, sometimes not at all.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I have to agree. About half thru the nose and half thru the mouth.
Ditto for me as long as it's a smooth cigar and not too spicy. If it's really spicy, I still retrohale, just a bit less.

It's very similar to getting used to smoking cigars regularly in the first place, in that initially it feels odd, then as time goes on your palate gets more used to it. It's a very worthwhile practice to get used to, as to me it adds a lot of flavor to the cigar. Honestly, there are some sticks that hardly have any flavor at all unless you retrohale, and then are really great (the Illusione Singulare comes to mind).

The key is just a little bit of smoke, like the last little bit after you've already blown it out of you mouth. Start with once or twice a stick (and smooth sticks!), and it won't be long before you can do it as often as you like. The first cigar I ever found I could retrohale the whole stick was a Tat West Coast ... ahh, what a great cigar :)

It doesn't ruin your sinuses, (the smoke only goes through your nasal passages between your mouth and the end of your nostrils, not actually into your sinus cavity), you just get used to it. But IN ANY CASE, I highly recommend a Sinus Rinse such as NeliMed to any cigar lover. Not only does it keep your palate healthy and wash out the toxins from your cigars, but by doing so it "freshens" your sinus-palate as well and--to me at least--makes the cigars more enjoyable!

Last edited:

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
Just about every draw i retro hale a bit (let a little out of my mouth and a little out my nose). I also completely retro hale a few times throughout the stick (let all the smoke out my nose)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At least a few times throughout the cigar. It does seem to bring about different flavors that you would otherwise not get from a normal draw.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I give a retrohale every few puffs unless the 1st one knocks my sinus out with spice, then Ill give it another shot or two to see if it has settled down some.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I smoked a Churchill last night and retrohaled every single puff, actually got a little buzz too and way more flavor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most puffs, I retrohale.

Sometimes I take mouth full of smoke and open my mouth slightly and let smoke drift into my nostrils.