What's new

How often do you retrohale?

How often during a smoke do you retrohale?

• Every few draws

Votes: 73 45.3%
  • A few times during the smoke

Votes: 27 16.8%
  • Only once or twice

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Not at all / I don't enjoy retrohaling

Votes: 29 18.0%
  • Other (stated in my post)

Votes: 16 9.9%

• Total voters
Rating - 90%
9   1   0
I retrohale every few draws to really get the full flavor of the stick. It seems to be an "advanced" technique for cigar smokers. My dad to this day thinks it's impossible to do without inhaling the smoke first.

WARDOGG

Crusher of Hopes & Dreams
Rating - 100%
10   0   2
I've never retrohaled because I've never given it any thought actually. However, after reading through all of these posts, I just may have to give it a try!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time except for the first 2 puffs, those are usually way too spicy and I'm afraid fire will come out my nose :cbig:

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've never retrohaled because I've never given it any thought actually. However, after reading through all of these posts, I just may have to give it a try!
Same here.

I did try it a few times last evening with a lighter cigar.
Wasn't really sure how to do it, but I figured it out pretty fast.
I have to admit it did add to the smoking experience.
Most likely will be doing it more often as time goes bye.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
It just happens naturally now. I do it so much I don't even think about it. To tell the truth the first i did it was on accident, what an awesome accident.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Never. It messes with my sinuses too much. It just makes me feel super uncomfortable, more so than with a cold, and usually end up going into some sort of sneezing/coughing fit.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Pretty close to every draw, I feel like it's the only way to truly get the proper flavors, etc.. Plus I love the feeling of a spicy cigar clearing out my sinuses!

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Never have, never will. I don't want smoke in my sinuses. They're very touchy as it is. In my mouth is plenty...which is why I've never had any interest in smoking a cigarette.

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
I gave the Retrohale an honest try last weekend at the B&M. Picked out some smooth, mild cigars to learn with and it hurt like hell.

I understand that it may give you a wealth of fabulous tastes, but as far as I'm concerned, if it hurts that much to learn, I don't want to become used to it. There are a few occasions where I consider making yourself suffer to be worthwhile - Diet, exercise, stuff like that. However, I enjoy smoking as a hobby, so I don't want to force myself to learn something that I don't enjoy from the start. To me, a good cigar tastes like a good cigar, and I'm just fine with that

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
upon every pull and exhalation, i thusly exert to only fill the sinuses with an either slight / moderate albeit never an exacting amount.
external factors include, state of inebriation, mean temp, social setting and physical posture.

sometimes i forget to though. :)

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I gave the Retrohale an honest try last weekend at the B&M. Picked out some smooth, mild cigars to learn with and it hurt like hell.

I understand that it may give you a wealth of fabulous tastes, but as far as I'm concerned, if it hurts that much to learn, I don't want to become used to it. There are a few occasions where I consider making yourself suffer to be worthwhile - Diet, exercise, stuff like that. However, I enjoy smoking as a hobby, so I don't want to force myself to learn something that I don't enjoy from the start. To me, a good cigar tastes like a good cigar, and I'm just fine with that

Yeah I am not much for blowing a whole cloud of smoke out thru my nose. However, getting s tiny bit of the smoke in you nose does add to the cigar.

What I do is after I exhaust the smoke from my mouth, I'll also just blow thru my nose and you'll notice all the flavors that come thru once you do. I don't even see the smoke in my nose, it is such a small amount. But by exhaling a bit thru the nose during the cigar, I can tell the difference.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Yeah I am not much for blowing a whole cloud of smoke out thru my nose. However, getting s tiny bit of the smoke in you nose does add to the cigar.

What I do is after I exhaust the smoke from my mouth, I'll also just blow thru my nose and you'll notice all the flavors that come thru once you do. I don't even see the smoke in my nose, it is such a small amount. But by exhaling a bit thru the nose during the cigar, I can tell the difference.

Yep, this is exactly what I've taken to doing, and I do it on just about every draw now.

Let the smoke come out of your mouth almost completely, then close your mouth and exhale through your nose.

I, too, never really got the hang out blowing the entire draw out through my nose, and I don't know that it's really necessary.

SmokeyOgre

Has Layers
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aftter smoking for many years I was just turned onto this a few days ago. I've been making a conscious effort to do this a few times per stick now, I feel with the right amount it doesnt irritate my sinuses and brings out the flavor of the cigar quite nicely.

I'd say I'm doing it once or twice per third and with the right amount (exhaust the majority through the mouth and let a little linger in for the retrohale) it's very enjoyable

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
This completely changes the flavor profile of the cigar. I do almost every time except towards the end when its to hot. Now there are some sticks where they are so strong I just can not. A limitado II for example not only nukes your mouth but its too strong to do the whole cigar through the mouth. But on the other end you pick up such different flavor changes I could not imagine doing this any other way.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Every now and then. Usually only a tiny bit after I've blown most of the smoke out of my mouth. The only cigars I've smoked so far where I can retrohale as much smoke as I want are Tats. I only smoke NCs though, I hear it's a lot smoother with CCs.