What's new

"I can't believe it's not Cuban"

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I know this get's brought up from time to time, and I'm NOT trying to rehash the great debate of Cuban vs Non-Cuban, nor discuss the term "Cubanesque" which has been completely bastardized by the copy-writers.

It's just that right now I'm smoking an Illusione Singulare Phantom (EL from 2010), and every single time I light up this cigar, I think "Man, if you told me this was Cuban I'd believe you." In this case, there are several reasons:
1) The body and strength are mild-medium (like a great many Cubans)
2) The cigar is flavorful, but sophisticated (on the subtle as opposed to "in your face" side of the spectrum)
3) The flavor profile itself reminds me of something I'd expect to find in a Cuban cigar (it doesn't "taste like" a particular Habano or even a particular marca, but reminds me of something in a similar genre to Trinidad/Cohiba)

Being a more experienced cigar guy than I was a few years ago, this SURPRISED me. There are very few cigars that I can say this about. I know that many of you would say "I've never had an NC that tasted like a Cuban" ... fair enough, and that's why I said I was surprised by this Singulare.

So how about you? Have you smoked an NC recently and thought, "Wow, this could be a Cuban"?

Last edited:

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i get that vibe off curivari, especially their gloria de leon and el gran rey lines. mostly for me it is a combination of texture, and flavor density to power ratio.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Absolutely. Phantom is definitely a great example. In fact a lot of Illusione products are great examples of NC's with a CC like profile.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Hey Nate -

Thanks for posting this, very interesting. Of course I need to try one now.

I've never had a situation like you decribe happen to me so I am very curious now. I'll pass along my thoughts when I get a chance to smoke one.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Absolutely. Phantom is definitely a great example. In fact a lot of Illusione products are great examples of NC's with a CC like profile.
Yea, I think the Epernay line is a perfect example as well. Every time I smoke those I think, "I need send these out to my Habanos-only friends!" Again, it doesn't "taste like a Cuban" in a particular sense, but I think that guys who like Habanos would probably really like the Epernay (and Singulare Phantom).

There is a very short list of cigars like this for me. Others would be the La Aurora 100 Anos and CAO Vision (which are basically the same cigar), My Father, and the Tatuaje Noella, maybe the EL Triunfador #6. There are others that I'd call Cubanesque in truth, but I don't think they'd fool you, so to speak.

Last edited:

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I can agree that the Phantom and a couple of the Curivari lines come close to Cuban. Another that I felt was very close is the El Triunfador (#3 size specifically).

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Hey Nate -

Thanks for posting this, very interesting. Of course I need to try one now.

I've never had a situation like you decribe happen to me so I am very curious now. I'll pass along my thoughts when I get a chance to smoke one.
Do you have one floating around if the humi? (if not, let me know!)

You should definitely try it, heck, everybody should, lol. Smoke it in the morning if possible, though, it's an all seco blend so it's mild-medium at best in terms of body.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I would have to agree with you on the Epernay. It surprised the hell out of me the first time I fired one up and continues to please every time.

Dan

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Sure, there are some sticks I would put in that category, but not many...

1. Quesada Espana
2. WCD 120
3. EL Triunfador (new blend, esp the lancero)

I am forgetting one, will update when I think of it...

~brooks

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
For me the first was the Illusione Eccj but it had just a bit too much power. Other then that definitely the Curivari (also one I can guess blind!)

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Sure, there are some sticks I would put in that category, but not many...

1. Quesada Espana
2. WCD 120
3. EL Triunfador (new blend, esp the lancero)

I am forgetting one, will update when I think of it...

~brooks
Never had the Espana. Never had the WCD 120 either, though the Cabaiguan line in general should have been on my list probably, certainly "Cubanesque" at the least.

For me the first was the Illusione Eccj but it had just a bit too much power. Other then that definitely the Curivari (also one I can guess blind!)
Yea, I think the Epernay line is a bit milder than the ECCJ was, so maybe closer to the typical Habano in that regard. Though I love them both. Not to say all Habanos are medium or less, of course, but to me most are. Interestingly, most of my favorite Habanos are the stronger ones, though (BCE, Mag 46, 898v, etc), but since I started out with Nicaraguans that's not too strange I guess.

And that reminds me, I still have some ECCJs ... gonna have to fire one up sometime soon :)

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Curivari is by far the closest I have ever come.

A couple of older NCs and older CCs have shared some similarities, but I'm not sure that's the same exercise.

In order:
1. Curivari
(huge gap)
2. Regius
3. El Triunfador
4. EloGio
5. España

Every once in a while, a random cigar will remind me of certain qualities of Cuba's finest, but in general, those are the one's that come to mind for being consistent in that regards.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have smoked all of the Curivaris and honestly they did very little for me, very dry profile in my opinion. Ive tried them each at least twice too, you guys are making me want to go get more and I dont even like them! Haha

emopunker2004

Also on Cigar Asylum
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I think the Epernay line is a perfect example as well. Every time I smoke those I think, "I need send these out to my Habanos-only friends!" Again, it doesn't "taste like a Cuban" in a particular sense, but I think that guys who like Habanos would probably really like the Epernay (and Singulare Phantom).

There is a very short list of cigars like this for me. Others would be the La Aurora 100 Anos and CAO Vision (which are basically the same cigar), My Father, and the Tatuaje Noella, maybe the EL Triunfador #6. There are others that I'd call Cubanesque in truth, but I don't think they'd fool you, so to speak.
I have a guy on Cigar Asylum that is a Habanos only guy. With one exception, The Illusione line. I've never had any but I'm very tempted to grab a couple.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Nate,

Great post!

I cannot agree with you more on your #2: The cigar is flavorful, but sophisticated (on the subtle as opposed to "in your face" side of the spectrum

While I have smoked many Nic's that are complex, none have had the sophistication of great Cuban (like the wonderfully sophisticated and complex SLR Prominente...Holy cow, what a smoke!)

Having said that, I have really enjoyed the evolution of the Nicaraguan cigars over the past 5 years or so.....Just amazing what we have been fortunate enough to smoke during this period.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
To me the Four Kicks and Guapo are pretty close to some CCs I've had.

The Curivari line has some interesting flavors but always leaves me feeling parched, which is a quality I've never experienced in a Cuban.