What's new

I like playing with my tobacco!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
So today I jarred and sealed up a bunch of my tobacco I've bought to do little cellaring projects. I decided to make a super VA/Lat blend using G&H Black Irish X and Brown Irish X rope with some G&H blending Latakia mixed in. I've become quite fond of Latakia and I like both the Brown and Black ropes. I figured I could make an interesting blend by cutting thin medallions and then cutting each medallion in half to get a decent sized tobacco for mixing. My blend was small but I did 15g of each rope tobacco and then 10g of latakia and 6g of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired for some added complexity. It smelled great and I pressed it down and threw a lid on the jar. I can't wait to visit this big bad blend in about two or three weeks.

This pipe thing may be bad for me.......in a good way.:bigeyes:

Do any of you guys play around with your own stuff? Do you spice an off the shelf blend up with a little more latakia something along those lines?

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Do any of you guys play around with your own stuff? Do you spice an off the shelf blend up with a little more latakia something along those lines?
No i dont yet. What i do, do is take all my leftovers from tins and from samples and put them in ajar labeled potpurri.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
No i dont yet. What i do, do is take all my leftovers from tins and from samples and put them in ajar labeled potpurri.
I like this idea, Dave!
I've considered tossing a sample of P&C "Best of the Rest" (same idea, in bulk, super cheap) in my past shopping carts just to have as a random smoke.
Seems kind of fun, always changing, never the same smoke twice.
I think I'm a ways off from being able to distinguish subtleties of the different baccy though. What's your take? Do you ever look forward to your "potpourri", or is it more just filler smoke?

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Never smoked a pipe but to be honest if I did I'm sure that I would do this. I do it with food all the time lol

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I am a constant tinkerer. I make anything I can as long as making it myself is more cost effective than buying it, or I can make it to my own specs. So I homebrew, cook a lot, made furniture, make cured meats, and do all home repairs/improvements if I can realistically buy the tools needed. So blending some tobacco together was just a natural attempt for me. It landed me on a site looking at just plain whole leaves of various tobaccos to do my own cakes or plugs if I can figure out how to properly press it together.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
So I smoked some of my black and Brown rope blend with Latakia and a little old dark fired. I like it. I will add more latakia when I do it again. It is savory, strong, easy puffer, with no bite. It does have plenty of nicotine though. I smoked it in a small bowl over about 20 min and I finally felt nicotine from a pipe tobacco.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I'm like a kid in a candy store. I now know what to do with the damaged cigars I have that I've kept around. I can cut them up and incorporate them into home blends. No wasted tobacco. Just need to overhydrate them a bit so I can slice and dice with out just cracking the leaves.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
My latest tobacco tomfoolery. This is my black/brown rope, latakia and lighter virginia's home blend pressed into my own krumble cake. That is 7.2oz of smokey Cyprian latkia and strong baccy glory. Its aroma fills a room with a smokey bbq scent mixed with sweet tobacco. Yum!

Oh yeah, I will say how I made the cake. I took a old El Triunfador Lanceros box since it was a side top vertical box rather than a horizontal hinged box. Then I lined it with wax paper stuffed the baccy in, and put a small steel plate on the bottom to prevent crushing through. The pusher was just a piece of scrap wood. In order to keep the sides from busting out I used some big ass zip ties I scavenged from work that people threw out. I'm talking like super duty zip ties. I used three of these zip ties around the box body to keep the corners from splitting. Then I crunched the baccy down with a big C-clamp I use for when I end up doing disc brakes. Really tightened down by hand and just left it over night. Then out came this glorious little brownie of happiness.

My next plan is to build a permanent mold and make whole leaf plugs. Oooh baby.

Attachments

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Holy hell my mouth is watering! You sir, are a genius. I love cake and flake tobacco and would love to try my hand at this. Like you, I like making my own creations and once I get a bit more familiar with the different varieties of tobacco I prefer see myself going down this rabbit hole myself. :applause:

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Finally made the jump and bought myself a pound of seven different varieties of tobacco! I hope to have a killer blend to speak of before too long that I want to most likely press into flake form. Booyah!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I just did this with the remnants of the samples you sent me. Makes for interesting yet enjoyable bowls

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Finally made the jump and bought myself a pound of seven different varieties of tobacco! I hope to have a killer blend to speak of before too long that I want to most likely press into flake form. Booyah!
Awesome, what base tobaccos did u buy?
1 | Prilep | Turkish/Oriental Prilep | $16.99 | $16.99

1 | 1FCV1 | Flue Cured Virginia Red Leaf | $16.99 | $16.99

1 | 1GROS | Dark Air (2012 crop) | $16.99 | $16.99

1 | 1FCV2 | Flue Cured Virginia Bright Leaf | $16.99 | $16.99

1 | 1Izmir | Turkish/Oriental Izmir | $16.99 | $16.99

1 | 1FCV3 | Flue Cured Virginia "Lemon" | $16.99 | $16.99

1 | Lat97 | Latakia 1997 Crop year | $25.99 | $25.99

Here's my order with out discount.