What's new

I like playing with my tobacco!

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Not all the leaf is as nicely whole as the individual pictured but who cares. I am going to build a press mold this week and try a know decent blend I found as shred. If I like it I will make enough to make it a plug in the press mold and slice it for some flake after a month.
Don't now how you were planning. But I've seen people use clamps and cigar boxes to make presses. Seemed inexpensive and effective.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I did that already. The box route is one time use. I have a shitty shelf (former platform bed) made with scrap 2x6s that will now be cut up slightly planed (got myself a planer) and made into a mold that will have an adjustable height holding mech. I will hold the pressure with some bolts I'm thinking from top to bottom. I will post pics of what I make when I'm dine with it.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I did that already. The box route is one time use. I have a shitty shelf (former platform bed) made with scrap 2x6s that will now be cut up slightly planed (got myself a planer) and made into a mold that will have an adjustable height holding mech. I will hold the pressure with some bolts I'm thinking from top to bottom. I will post pics of what I make when I'm dine with it.
Sounds great man. If I could, I might suggest all thread with wide washers and nuts on both sides to not only distribute the pressure, but get clamping force from both sides you wouldn't get with bolts.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Could just get the $76 harbor frieght hydraulic press and make a proper plug! Haha

I'm sure however you put the squeeze to it will work great!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Got my first 100g blended up. 30% Virginia (50/50 lemon and red) 30% oriental (50/50 Izmir and prilep) 35% latakia, and 5% dark air cured. I am slightly moistening it so I can shred it via cutting with a knife after rolling it into a loose cigar shape. If I like this I will proceed to a press attempt.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
So I have been brainstorming about what to make a press from. Wanted to use stainless steel but that requires welding and well stainless isn't cheap. Then I thought of aluminum easier to work with not really necessary to weld but cutting and drilling isn't the easiest with my tools on hand. Then i thought of food safe plastics. Teflon is spendy. But HDPE is pretty cheap. I can thread it and put threaded inserts. Its non-reactive, impact resistant, and seems like a winner price wise. I will investigate more but I think I found my material.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've also heard of people using pvc 4" tube to make the mold, would be cost effective

Perhaps schedule 80 for extra strength?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Round PVC would be super cheap but I'm trying to make it square. I figure mostly for cutting east and ability to achieve uniform flake thickness. I will use the mold as a cutting guide to get straight cuts by popping off one of the ends.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0

Cut it up today and will dig in in a few days. For the prelim recipe I just bundled everything and slightly pressed it with a couple heavy books and my ass a few days. Then I get this chub of baccy that sliced nicely with my sharp as knife. Need to get a knife with the handle on top the blade for wrist comfort.

Last edited: