What's new

Ice chest to humidor conversion *Completed*

Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Well in time to start the conversion. My plan is to remove the top section of the ice chest, which would give me better access to the inside. I planned to remove the tin lining, then create a cedar ‘box’ that I would slip in. After that I would work on the door seals.

I carefully pried the top off without any damage. This gave me better access to the inside of the ice chest.

I started to remove the tin from inside.

After I removed a couple of the tin pieces, I realized the tin work was just part of an inner box.

After removing a couple of trim pieces around the door openings, I was able to remove the inner box without much effort.

I always thought the ice chest was made of clear pine. I now realize it’s hard maple.

Now, the wife has taken an interest in the project, which is a good thing. She asked me if it would be possible to stain it darker. This will entail more work then I counted on, but if it makes the wife happy….it makes me happy.

When I first bought the ice chest about 15 years ago at an auction, it was painted green. At the time I was living in an apartment in Toronto, so I had to strip the paint off on my balcony. It turned out ok, but I was never happy with ‘ok’. This gives me an opportunity to finish it properly.

I plan to disassemble the outer box, piece by piece. I will then strip the varnish and sand each piece. A few of the pieces have some staining, which is expected after about 80+ years in a moist environment. I hope to bleach the stains out. I’m not too concerned as a darker stain will cover a lot.

I made sure I labeled each piece, to aid in reassembly.

I will keep you updated as the project progresses.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
That is going to be an heirloom your sons will fight over. Providing you have sons. If you don't, can I call you dad?:halfgrinw

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Looks like a fun project, I have seen a couple of the old Ice Boxes converted to a Humi, I have been looking in my area for a Ice Box to do the same thing.............Good luck , keep us posted........

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Well I went out and picked up some spanish cedar today. I lucked out as one of the local mill shops had some left over from a larger project. It's tongue & groove, 10' lengths. He sold it to me for 80 cents a foot, but only charged me for 9' lengths. There were 4 pieces that had some flaws in them, so he sold me those for $2.00 a piece. For $60.00 I have more then enough cedar for this project.

I spent part of the day disassembling the ice chest. It now looks like it was hit by it's first bomb. I hope I remember how it goes back together.:errrr:

I started to strip a couple pieces. I was able to bleach out most of the staining. After a bit of sanding, I stained a couple pieces to show the wife.

Back to work tomorrow so there probably won't be too much progress for a few days.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Wow, that looks like it will be one fine piece when you are done! I love all the pics.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Awesome looking project. Maybe I can convince the wife to let me get one for a similar project since she complains about the coolers full of stuff around the house.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Awesome looking project. Maybe I can convince the wife to let me get one for a similar project since she complains about the coolers full of stuff around the house.
I was thinking the same thing. This is going to look really nice. The wife hates the cooledors. I have her looking at antique wardrobs. I have to show herthis when its done.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I'm impressed! That is going to look great when you get finished. Any plans to wire it for fans, cigar oasis, etc.? Keep us updated.

What a fun project! I might have to start haunting some of the antique stores around here to look for one of these...I know I have seen them in the past.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Well I managed to get some work done in the last few days. I plugged away a few hours before and after work, here and there.

I stripped all the pieces and I was able to bleach out most of the staining before I sanded them all.

I got all the pieces stained before I started to put it back together. I like to stain the pieces before gluing. I find no matter how well you think you have wiped the glue off, you miss some and then you find out what you missed once you've applied the stain.

I've started to reassemble the outer shell. Once the basic outer shell is back together, I can start on the inner cedar box.

The cedar I picked up is 3/8" t&g. The plan is to build a box out of it and set it in. There will be a 'shelf' to separate the top and bottom section. I plan to wire the inside so I can plug an electric hygrometer in...in the future.

The bottom has a hinged front panel which aloud them to put a drip pan under for the melting ice. I'm going build a pull out drawer behind it to house my cigar accessories.