What's new

If Habanos were legal...

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Would they taste as good? If the forbidden fruit were legalized would we be drooling over these tastey cigars? How much of the Habanos is mental and how much true taste? There is no doubt in my mind that the fact that they are semi-hard to obtain and illegal adds to the smoke. Pulling out a habanos and handing to a friend or co-worker is impressive. Much like where you smoke a cigar and the company you are with adds to the taste...so does the forbidden fruit factor. With all of this said, I think Habanos are terrific. In my book it's not even close. But, in the back of my head I will wonder how much the illegal factor adds to the smoke. Just want a few opinions.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I'm sure that for some folks, smoking habanos is just a status statement. Others just like being rebellious.
For me, I only smoke those cigar brands who's strength, flavors and construction quality I enjoy the most. Some of these are from Cuba, but others are from Nicaragua and the DR.

A few things are almost certain once trade with Cuba + the US is opened up fully (IMO):

1. The demand for Cuban cigars will increase, at least for a few years.

2. This will drive up prices and probably decrease quality, again at least for a few years.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I like them because they taste better.

If they were legal, the demand would increase and prices would rise. In order to try and meet this deman, I believe the quality would decrease.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have to agree. If they were legalized the demand would go through through the roof. The quality would be hurt. The question is, does the legality issue make em smoke better?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I don't think the legality makes them smoke better. They have a better flavor dimension.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
FPDoc77 said:
Caudio that's a big statement. To say the mental aspect plays no role in the quality of smoke I think could be short sighted.
It's just my opinion. It might play a role for some guys but for me it is just not a factor. I guess when you don't have the means to get them easily it would raise the cuban/illegal factor.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
This is a fairly common topic of conversation on the boards. It's impossible to answer the question as they are not legal. However, I don't think about it when I'm smoking a cigar. I think about how they taste. I'd be willing to put the concept to a blind taste test though. Go ahead and send me 4 unmarked cigars and I'll tell you what I think. :innocent:

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
caudio51 said:
It's just my opinion. It might play a role for some guys but for me it is just not a factor. I guess when you don't have the means to get them easily it would raise the cuban/illegal factor.
I have the means. But, I assure you those I work with do not. They have no idea how to get a legit Habanos. I'm throwing a draft party and two cigar smokers are coming. They are both drooling at the fact that I am bringing them a SLR churchill habanos. It's a smoke of a lifetime for these guys. To me that's my appeal. Does that add to my cuban appeal? Heck yes it does.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
Would they taste as good? .
for me they are legal and no that does not affect my like or dislike.

i can honestly say that i have only smoked one NC that was even smokable (forget the brand - Pam something). i have really tried to smoke some that were gifted to me but they just don't do it for me

another point to ponder, the USA is the only place that Cuban cigars are illegal yet they remain the world leaders in cigars.

FPDoc77 said:
I have to agree. If they were legalized the demand would go through through the roof. The quality would be hurt. The question is, does the legality issue make em smoke better?
wow, seams like i am picking on you tonight. i don't mean to be mean or anything but ...

i agree and disagree.

i agree demand will go up (maybe not as dramatic as you think - most people who want them can already get them).

i disagree on quality. in my opinion, Cuba is already producing/selling at capacity and i do not think opening up the US market to legal Cuban cigars would cause them to risk quality issues.

now what the distributers do to the price as a result of the increased demand - well that's a whole thread on its own.

i also agree on the 'risk' factor influencing yourself and other US smokers. while i don't experience the 'risk', i think i am affected by the 'snobbish' influence.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
FPDoc77 said:
I have the means. But, I assure you those I work with do not. They have no idea how to get a legit Habanos. I'm throwing a draft party and two cigar smokers are coming. They are both drooling at the fact that I am bringing them a SLR churchill habanos. It's a smoke of a lifetime for these guys. To me that's my appeal. Does that add to my cuban appeal? Heck yes it does.
It depends on how you are looking at the cigars. In terms of just smoking, cc's are better IMO. Regarding the whole aspect of gifting cuban cigars to those who cannot get them, of course they will be more gracious than a regular nc.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
The whole illegal aspect of cuban cigars really does nothing for me. I started with regular n/c's, moved up to the Opus and PAMs, and then went to cuban cigars. It was a progression I chose to make simply because cuban cigars appeal to me more flavor wise. When I'm smoking a CC, I'm not thinking about how it's illegal and the forbidden fruit. Usually I'm thinking about the flavor aspects of it while listening to the radio or reading something. Illegal or not, taste is what I go by :wink:

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I think that supply would be the same or + 2%. Price would really go up due to demand and quality would probably be on par. Price has already gone up quite a bit in the last 10 years because of the internet and instant purchase power we have via credit cards and such.

Would I be a happy camper if I could go into a B&M and buya PSD4? No. The prices would be closer to some of Fuente's seldom seen products like Hemi BTL's, any Hemi Maduro, OpusX and so on. I think that certain vendors online would keep prices on an even keel just like they are now.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
Caudio that's a big statement. To say the mental aspect plays no role in the quality of smoke I think could be short sighted.
I think your mind plays a part in any experience where taste + smell come into play. Your mood, your expectations, your past experiences can all affect how something tastes, at least to a certain degree. I think that perhaps for the smoker who is new to cubans cigars, the fact that they are considered the "best" by many cigar experts (and regular cigar smokers) probably has a bigger influence vs the fact that they are illegal in the US.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I do think the end of the embargo will mean a decline in quality for atleast awhile..if it ever happens.

I do still smoke some premium N/C cigars. I do enjoy most habanos more than the n/c however. But there are some great n/c.

Something I run into about smoking habanos is the whole myths about them.

I am kind of well know in this small town. I have sold a couple of thousand vehicles, so I have been exposed to thousands of people. I get to smoke at work but dont smoke in front of customers. But I do have a Cohiba ashtray (from my great friend The Tubaman) That does spark some conversations about cigars. People that dont smoke seem to ask why the habanos are "better". How do you get them? Why cant you buy the localy?

While us on here, even a newbie, has pretty good knowledge about cuba and it's cigars. The bulk of the rest of the world does not and probably could not care less about them. Some say things like how do you know they are real.
why would you pay that kind of money for them and things like that. I just laugh and say it is a personal preference.

The bad part is there is a old guy localy in the car business that is known as "cigar". He smoke Ibolds or some other paper wrapper shit.

But I have shared many cigars with people of all walks of life. Given many habanos away. Most I dont think appriciated the tobacco part but got off on the "mystique" part. Smoking a habano with a lawyer,politician or police officer does have some appeal.

Sorry for the rant..It is late and I am tired.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well stated Rutkus.

I smoked NC's for years before CC's. I never found the quality, taste, and consistency I get in Cuban's.

Psycologically, I would enjoy them more, and here's why I believe that. There more than likely will be a mad rush to buy everything on the shelves. It probably will take the industry a year or two to iron out all the wrinkles. Prices most certainly will be comparable to the Canadian and English markets. And I will be sitting on the front porch at home, with a Boli Cor Gig or RA Gig in my mouth, that has about 5-15 years age on them, grinning from ear to ear ever so smuggly because I and many of you will know, there are plenty more stored away in our humidors right here at home. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't we who have our overseas vendors also have an advantage, not only with knowledge and relationships built, but we'd have sources where we still wouldn't be paying the high taxes that would almost certainly be impossed here in the states.

Either way, I'm fine, and they'll taste the same. Terrific :thumbsup:

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've been smoking cigars now for almost 17 years now. Most of my beginning years were smoking domestic cigars. Cut my teeth on 'em you could say. Then I experienced habanos and I haven't turned back. And it had nothing to do with the mystique. They genuinely taste better IMO.