What's new

If Habanos were legal...

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hmm, I'll add what I can. I've noticed the term "consistency" come up with a couple posters in relation to Cuban cigars. I have found that Cuban cigars are nowhere near the level of consistency "draw, burn and flavor from one stick to another" that is on found with non-Cubans. That is my findings, and findings of other smokers I talk with.

2nd. I think the illegality has something to do with it...how much though is hard to say. Like it was mentioned above, this is the only country where you find the anomoly in the illegal Cuban cigar situation. Most smokers throughout the world still prefer Cuban cigars. It was stated that they are the world leaders???? Hmm, no not in production numbers, they pale compared to non-Cuban cigars. But, that is largely due to the U.S. market.

My thing is this. I take value over anything else (illegality etc). I look at it like this: I enjoy a BBF, I also enjoy a Padron 6k. Both similar sizes in the belicoso size. The BBF runs about 75 percent more than the Padron. Do I enjoy it 75 percent more? No, but it is a tasty stick. I look at price increase vs. taste increase more than anything else. If something is 100 percent more expensive, it should taste 100 percent better, imo. Usually this concept is lost once you hit a certain point...usually around the 5-7 dollar mark. A 1 dollar cigar is usually 300 percent less tasty than a 4 dollar stick. This equation stumbles once you pass the 5 dollar mark.

So, for me it's not illegality that marks my taste memories. It's value. If I'm smoking a 10 dollar Cuban, it better be twice as good as a 5 dollar non-Cuban...or Cuban...or whatever. It just so happens that Cubans usually cost more, I don't care what anyone says. You have to have alot of money in a stock of aged Habanos...and that's the other thing that gets me. With Habanos you have to age your own stuff, or pay for vintage stock.

For me it doesn't matter if they're illegal or not. If they taste good then I'll smoke them. If it's a good value than I'll keep smoking them.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I havent even read the whole post... and i will later, but i am goin to rant for a little bit...

If you hand somebody a newbie a Padron 3000 with a Cohiba band on it he will say that it is amazing.... and then you hand him the Cohiba with the Padron band on it he will not think it is as good..... There is a correlation between the mystique of a cuban and the overall feelings you have towards a cigar...

I truely believe this, we did this to a friend of mine who said he smoked all the time and wanted to try a cuban so another one of my buddies and I had this argument and wanted to test it out...

There is a mental factor to this.... and saying that there isnt kinda supports the unconsious idea that there is... Obviously it is not something that cuban cigar smokers think of but it is there..

and now i will go read the rest of the posts and realize that this is already been said but thats ok....

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Clay, you are talking "newbs" or people who don't regularly smoke CCs. IMHO that's a WHOLE other ball game. And GD'it! Will you PLEASE find a new avatar!?!? :rofl:

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Well using the point of the newbs which is def a completely different story.....

but you know the point that I was trying to make, there is a mental aspect to it, albeit it is different as to how defined or refined a smoker you are... we all know that, but there is a difference.

hahahaha we will see about the avatar, i just think that one is hilarious... i just need to post a ton today so that yall have to keep looking at it

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Clay, you are talking "newbs" or people who don't regularly smoke CCs. IMHO that's a WHOLE other ball game. And GD'it! Will you PLEASE find a new avatar!?!? :rofl:
I'm with Jason haha. That avatar has got to go.

Rutkus

Newb Puke
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
tobby4 said:
I havent even read the whole post... and i will later, but i am goin to rant for a little bit...

If you hand somebody a newbie a Padron 3000 with a Cohiba band on it he will say that it is amazing.... and then you hand him the Cohiba with the Padron band on it he will not think it is as good..... There is a correlation between the mystique of a cuban and the overall feelings you have towards a cigar...

I truely believe this, we did this to a friend of mine who said he smoked all the time and wanted to try a cuban so another one of my buddies and I had this argument and wanted to test it out...

There is a mental factor to this.... and saying that there isnt kinda supports the unconsious idea that there is... Obviously it is not something that cuban cigar smokers think of but it is there..

and now i will go read the rest of the posts and realize that this is already been said but thats ok....
How does giving a newbie a blind taste test prove or disprove anything? If they can't tell the difference and have not even honed their own tests how could any input from them be of any help?

i think that people are very clear on our embargo with Cuba, and are very clear that Cuba makes famous cigars, and aware that things from Cuba are illegal. ask them to name another brand other than cohiba that comes from cuba, and see what they say?

For someone who has access to these cigars and who knows what they like, there is no mysticism. It’s based purely on taste as opposed to being that asshole that shows up in the cigar club flaunting their fauxhiba.

what i'm most interested in when cuban tobacco becomes readily available is seeing what kinds of non puros will hit the market and rollers/blenders taking advantage of a whole new flavor profile.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
This is like the old "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear, does it make a sound?", question. Habanos taste the same whether they are legal or not. I have had them in London and stateside, and yep they taste the same. Does the mystique and illegality add to peoples desire to have them, sure. We all like danger in one way or another. It hightens the senses etc. We enjoy forbidden fruit more than that we can buy at the store. This is human nature. As for what happens when the emargo is dropped...I think Americans will pay more and volume will be diverted to the US once a wholesaler is chosen. We will pay more but have better choices and supply.

owljones

habanoholics anonymous
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
If I can get a Party Short for $5 and a PAM Principe for $10, which one do you think I'll be smoking more of?

Now let's say both are costing me $5. I'd still be smoking the Shorts.

To take it even further, I'd rather smoke a machine made, like a RGPE or Regalia, than most premiums.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Rutkus said:
what i'm most interested in when cuban tobacco becomes readily available is seeing what kinds of non puros will hit the market and rollers/blenders taking advantage of a whole new flavor profile.

I have to wonder how much of this will even happen. Obviously there is a certain amount of leaf that leaves the island now (up to debate on how much and of what quality to say the least), but I don't see that quantity increasing if it has to come from stock used for Puros. Unless they can sell the leaf for a better profit, in which case the cigars made with it will be outrageously expensive because those who are buying it will be those who can truly market it. I'm thinking as in Opus X with Cuban wrapper or some such.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
owljones said:
If I can get a Party Short for $5 and a PAM Principe for $10, which one do you think I'll be smoking more of?

Now let's say both are costing me $5. I'd still be smoking the Shorts.

To take it even further, I'd rather smoke a machine made, like a RGPE or Regalia, than most premiums.
To take it further I'd rather smoke a handmade Padron 2K Maddie for about 3 bucks than any of those.

Do I enjoy a PAM Principe 300 percent more than a 2K? No way. And I'd rather have more cigar for less money (size wise) than a Short, and it just so happens a 2K tastes great.

I'm value conscious :thumbsup:

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Although I don't necessarily agree with Tobby4, I think I can see his point about there being a mental aspect to lkikng/disliking cigars. It's very much there just as the mood you're in, the surrounding environment and what drink you pair with the cigar affects your impression of the cigar.

Take cc's themselves. If you gift a recently produced Monte #2 to a seasoned vet, they may or may not like it. But give that same seasoned vet a Dunhill Montecristo #2 from 1972 and be sure to point that out to him and he'll go ape shit over it and swear it was the best cigar he ever smoked. There definitely is a mental aspect to it.

Rutkus

Newb Puke
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Jwrussell said:
I have to wonder how much of this will even happen. Obviously there is a certain amount of leaf that leaves the island now (up to debate on how much and of what quality to say the least), but I don't see that quantity increasing if it has to come from stock used for Puros. Unless they can sell the leaf for a better profit, in which case the cigars made with it will be outrageously expensive because those who are buying it will be those who can truly market it. I'm thinking as in Opus X with Cuban wrapper or some such.
I agree, but a boy can dream..

Money talks and it will all be a matter of how loose the Cuban government's grip will be on the exporting of their goods again, they were THE largest sugar producer of their time i believe. I wonder if they will go back to that or if tobacco will be the more lucrative cash crop.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Jwrussell said:
You better believe it will happen. It's confirmed folks like Fuente, Torano and Padron are actively buying cuban tobacco and storing it exactly for the day that the embargo is lifted. And they've already stated that they will be (if they haven't already) be introducing new lines and testing new blends incorporating cuban tobacco. :devilhead

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
avid toker said:
You better believe it will happen. It's confirmed folks like Fuente, Torano and Padron are actively buying cuban tobacco and storing it exactly for the day that the embargo is lifted. And they've already stated that they will be (if they haven't already) be introducing new lines and testing new blends incorporating cuban tobacco. :devilhead
Isn't that somethin? A very interesting development.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
avid toker said:
Huh...where did you read that?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I didn't hear about buying but I know all the old houses talk about the day they will go back to the Island. Fuente has made no bones about it nor has Torano. Product might even improve with these master blenders returning.