What's new

If Habanos were legal...

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
tobby4 said:
I havent even read the whole post... and i will later, but i am goin to rant for a little bit...

If you hand somebody a newbie a Padron 3000 with a Cohiba band on it he will say that it is amazing.... and then you hand him the Cohiba with the Padron band on it he will not think it is as good..... There is a correlation between the mystique of a cuban and the overall feelings you have towards a cigar...

I truely believe this, we did this to a friend of mine who said he smoked all the time and wanted to try a cuban so another one of my buddies and I had this argument and wanted to test it out...

There is a mental factor to this.... and saying that there isnt kinda supports the unconsious idea that there is... Obviously it is not something that cuban cigar smokers think of but it is there..

and now i will go read the rest of the posts and realize that this is already been said but thats ok....
I think this is a terrific post. Don't get me wrong Habanos are clearly better in my book. I wouldn't go through the trouble to fill my humi with them if I didn't. With that said, I know the mind is a very strong thing. I guess I wonder about the placebo effect and how much it makes a difference. It was more of a question to induce debate.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
I think this is a terrific post. Don't get me wrong Habanos are clearly better in my book. I wouldn't go through the trouble to fill my humi with them if I didn't. With that said, I know the mind is a very strong thing. I guess I wonder about the placebo effect and how much it makes a difference. It was more of a question to induce debate.
The mind is a powerful thing. It can be the same in anything in life. Why do people wanna wear Gucci? If it was 15 bucks for a Gucci shirt, would people wanna wear it? Probably not. Do people go after clothes from JCPenney with the same gusto? The value concious people do...You can argue that Gucci may or may not be more stylish, but in the end cloth is cloth. In this case tobacco is tobacco...some people smoke what they do for status, some don't..some genuinely prefer a certain kind of tobacco. But you're right, the mind is a powerful thing.

This argument is age old and will continue to be until the embargo is lifted. This argument can also be related to just about anything in life where you have two similar products with one being expensive/hard to get and the other not so expensive/hard to get.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
MichiganM said:
The mind is a powerful thing. It can be the same in anything in life. Why do people wanna wear Gucci? If it was 15 bucks for a Gucci shirt, would people wanna wear it? Probably not. Do people go after clothes from JCPenney with the same gusto? The value concious people do...You can argue that Gucci may or may not be more stylish, but in the end cloth is cloth. In this case tobacco is tobacco...some people smoke what they do for status, some don't..some genuinely prefer a certain kind of tobacco. But you're right, the mind is a powerful thing.

This argument is age old and will continue to be until the embargo is lifted. This argument can also be related to just about anything in life where you have two similar products with one being expensive/hard to get and the other not so expensive/hard to get.
Very good post Jason. I like the comparison to fashion. It is very similar. I will say this...I was hooked from the first time I smoked habanos. I do think they taste unreal. But I won't deny the fact that I hope they stay illegal for many reasons.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
It is the principle behind a taste test that I was goin for... There are a ton of things in this world that are "in your head"... I am not trying to bring up another discussion but many say that they are not addicted to cigars that if you say you are then it is in your head.... but scientifically that is not tru

I also Love the comparison to fashion... This can be proved by looking at the figures that some of the celebrities recieve for promoting an item... there is obviously a correlation to somebody thinking something and acting on it...

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
smokem94 said:
For me the legality issue has nothing to do with it. I strongly prefer the flavor profiles of Cuban Cigars. They are as easy to get if not easier than the premium NC's and if I found NC's that were as I good, I wouldn't even mess with Cubans.
I knew if I read long enough I could just quote someone with my same thoughts on this.

Thanks Mike.

Da Klugs

Fluffmeister
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
Very good post Jason. I like the comparison to fashion. It is very similar. I will say this...I was hooked from the first time I smoked habanos. I do think they taste unreal. But I won't deny the fact that I hope they stay illegal for many reasons.
The look on your face was classic. :laugh:

You should have fought harder for the check though. :halfgrinw

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Da Klugs said:
The look on your face was classic. :laugh:

You should have fought harder for the check though. :halfgrinw
Yea, Dave I owe you for that experience. I know we have had our differences but I would like to take you out, my cigars, my treat. Bring your buddy who paid for the beers along. He was truely generous. I hope you thanked him for buying your beers.

Da Klugs

Fluffmeister
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
Yea, Dave I owe you for that experience. I know we have had our differences but I would like to take you out, my cigars, my treat. Bring your buddy who paid for the beers along. He was truely generous. I hope you thanked him for buying your beers.
:laugh:

Shawn, once you get into private practice you will understand the value of spending "pre tax dollars". My buddy is my business partner who was traveling away from his home state. Get used to the term "employee meal" it's a good one as it's 100% tax deductable. :thumbsup:

Glad you have found joy in fine leaf of Cuba. One of the benefits of our obsession is to introduce new folks to the passion. Looks like you have hit the slope hard.

Differences? Nah. We're both cigar smokers and in that there is a universal bond.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Da Klugs said:
:laugh:

Shawn, once you get into private practice you will understand the value of spending "pre tax dollars". My buddy is my business partner who was traveling away from his home state. Get used to the term "employee meal" it's a good one as it's 100% tax deductable. :thumbsup:

Glad you have found joy in fine leaf of Cuba. One of the benefits of our obsession is to introduce new folks to the passion. Looks like you have hit the slope hard.

Differences? Nah. We're both cigar smokers and in that there is a universal bond.
Pre tax dollars sounds like a very good thing. I must admit I have never made enough money to know anything about that tax stuff. Yes, I have found great joy in that wonderful leaf. I have 2 people that I work with that have never tried a cuban cigar. BW3's on draft day will change that. You should stop by and meet Kate. :halfgrinw

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
smokem94 said:
For me the legality issue has nothing to do with it. I strongly prefer the flavor profiles of Cuban Cigars. They are as easy to get if not easier than the premium NC's and if I found NC's that were as I good, I wouldn't even mess with Cubans.
I have to echo these thoughts as well. As for the mystique of a Cuban cigar having an impact on people's opinions of a cigar I would definitely agree that it has an impact on newbs and fairly educated palates as well but for different reasons. For a newb, put a Cuban band on a nice NC cigar and I would venture a guess that their opinion of the cigar experience is elevated just by the thought of it being a Cuban cigar (this is one of the reasons why purveyors of fakes run so rampant because unknowing newbs usually don't know the difference). Now for the fairly experienced palate, do a blind tasting of a nicely aged Cuban cigar and a holy grail cigar like a vintage Cuban Davidoff or Dunhill. Will the enjoyment of the vintage Davidoff or Dunhill be that much higher than a nicely aged regular production cigar under blind circumstances? I would think not. Now, if you know you are smoking a holy grail banded vintage Davi or Dunhill do you think your enjoyment factor would go up? Being honest, mine would and I bet many others. The mental factor is there but can be very subtle.

Da Klugs

Fluffmeister
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
tripp said:
Yeah remember that spending pre-tax dollars when you get to Kentucky:thumbsup:
OK and maybe some Pre .... embargo cigars as well. :bigeyes:

Got these last week. Cedar tubes with gold foil over them. Pretty cool.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
:blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :cryloud: :cryloud: :cryloud: :cryloud: :bigeyes: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

owljones

habanoholics anonymous
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Da Klugs said:
OK and maybe some Pre .... embargo cigars as well. :bigeyes:

Got these last week. Cedar tubes with gold foil over them. Pretty cool.

Are those the PCs that were tubed?