What's new

If I Was Thinking About Buying A 9mm

Rauchermann

Smokin' in Iraq
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you look at Glock, CZ or another, and why.
Depends on exactly what you're looking for - concealed carry, open carry, target work, home defense - each use will dictate what your priorities are.

Accuracy, concealability, capacity, hammer vs. striker fired - the use you're going for will dictate what order these attributes are ranked in. My one and only 9mm pistol is a Beretta M9 - a 92F dressed and marked almost identical to the military M9. This let me practice with the standard military sidearm, and allowed me to compete in 'as-issued' Service Pistol matches with it. As a home defense piece it's pretty reasonable with +p Gold Dots, and the loaded chamber indicater is checkable by feel in the dark. But I would never choose this model for concealed carry.

My opinion - your mileage may vary.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just got myself a .40 S&W sigma. 300 bucks, 2 clips, lock box all included. better stopping power than a 9mm, it's bombproof, easy to clean, similar "trigger safety" as the glock, 200 bucks cheaper. S&W sigma is also made in a 9mm. Give em a try.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just picked up a new SW M&P 9mm and just love it. It has interchangeable backstraps so you can really tune the gun for your hand. Very ergonomically pleaseing. It is just as easy to take down as a glock and just feels great in the hand. I have around 1000 rounds through it and have had ZERO problems. The price is right too.
Fired a SW M&P5 yesterday in the 9mm style and I have to say that is a VERY nice pistol. Has very good weight to recoil, nice grip, easy trigger. accuracy is spot on with this thing. Thinking I might pick on of these up in the future.

Rauchermann

Smokin' in Iraq
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reasons are two fold, one for plinking and two for home protection. I really want the 9mm, although the 22 has much cheaper rounds, I want the bigger gun. Is there any detrement to buying used?
Used guns are fine - though it's best to get them checked by a reputable gunsmith to ensure they're safe and you're not getting taken. For self defense the 9mm cartridge is falling out of favor and being replaced by the .40 - and a lot of folks won't consider anything other than a .45 caliber handgun. One thing to consider is buying a full sized handgun and a .22 conversion kit to shoot cheap .22 through it for practice. Check out http://www.22lrconversions.com/ - they have conversions for the Colt .45/M1911, Glock 9mm and .40, Beretta 92/M9, and Browning Hi-Power, and go for about $200-; you'll break even after just 1 brick of .22. Have fun!

13_DOPEFIEND_13

"DOPE" FIEND 13
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please consider a .4o, or .45.....9mm isnt sufficient for stopping power in my opinion. I have a glock GAP. its a 45 with a shorter cartridge to slow the round down and cause more damage. The only 9mm Id buy is a Baretta, just for nostalgia purpouses

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Great thread. Thinking about getting another hand gun myself. The only one I have now is 1985 Makarov 9mm given to me by a friend.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I own a Ruger P85 MKII. Solid gun that is very reliable and accurate. It is a bit chunky though. I added combat sights and Pachmayr grips to mine. $225-$250 used but I would also look at at P89s. Best bet is to go to a range and see what you are personally comfortable with.

Chas

Bon Vivant
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. Thinking about getting another hand gun myself. The only one I have now is 1985 Makarov 9mm given to me by a friend.
Free Guns - Like Free Beer are the sweetest - bet the Mak is all you'll ever need ~:0)

BTW - carried a glock 9 as me service piece for years and never had a jamb and never had a bad guy get up - now I carry a lovely little Beretta 9 - let you know how it works out.

Oh, just for the record - when we worked up close and personal... a subsonic 22 auto locked down was in the pocket - point is - it's the job that dictates the tool - What gun to have is like what computer to use - Mac, PC, or that other one wif the flightless bird on it - Ha! Specially now in the states with barter on the horizon, the precious metal I'd be investing in would be a stack of hardened steel and the rounds to put through 'em - just sayin' they'll all make good trading - - - Think I'll have me a nice cigar before heading in tonight (now there's a subject for contention ) - - G'onya ~:0)

sigguy

smoking gun & cigar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Sig is accurate.
A Sig is dependable.
A Sig is user friendly. They are easy to field strip and maintain.
A 229 will serve you well and you can purchase the SCT ( super capacity tactical ) mags and have some firepower before having to reload.
As far as money goes, you will get what you pay for in respect to a firearm.
Go cheap and be prepared for issues.
There are "deals" on used Sigs, but you have to find them.

best of luck!
sigguy

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i've shot glocks, steyrs, walthers, smith & wessens, CZs, and baby eagles. If you are looking for a fun gun to shoot that is reliable, well priced, and all that jazz, consider the CZ 75 SP-01...or any metal frame CZ for that matter...they don't have the highest magazine capacity (which makes no difference to us Canadians as it's only legal to have up to 10 rounds in a pistol) because its a single stack but it allows it to be easier to handle. Very good feed back, right amount of kick to put a smile on your face without killing your hand, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Good call wyatt. The only thing that I did not like about the glocks was the slide release. I found them to be much more difficult to work than the H&K, but they also loosen up over time.
You can also get an extended slide release that makes it easier. I've still got the standard releases on my 19 and 27, but the 27 sure can be stubborn...

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
A Sig is accurate.
A Sig is dependable.
A Sig is user friendly. They are easy to field strip and maintain.
A 229 will serve you well and you can purchase the SCT ( super capacity tactical ) mags and have some firepower before having to reload.
As far as money goes, you will get what you pay for in respect to a firearm.
Go cheap and be prepared for issues.
There are "deals" on used Sigs, but you have to find them.

best of luck!
sigguy
Yes, Yes, Yes, I prefer the Sig!