What's new

IPCPR Las Vegas July 9-14

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
Do you think the drop in attendance is connected to the drop in quality on most of the new releases? Maybe all those cigars that were rushed hurt the market a little?

Just wondering
Absolutely not. I don't feel new releases is a big reason why people attend. There's several factors as to why attendance is down IMO. The California tax increase forced CA retailers to buy really big in June before the July 1st deadline. When the show is in Vegas you get a lot of CA stores due to closeness in proximity. The changing of the dates of the convention was also a factor. The change in location slightly hurt as the good thing about having the show in The Venetian is that you don't have to leave the hotel if you were staying there. Typically, the 2nd year of a back-to-back in Vegas sees lower attendance as people get tired of going to Vegas every year (I am not one of those people). A lot of retailers go to IPCPR to take advantage of the buying deals instead of focusing on new products. However, manufacturers now offer those same deals all month long even to retailers who don't attend the show.

A Huge Nerd

Lee-Hair-Oh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Only my second time at the show, but the lower attendance was noticeable as the week progressed. I got to stop and say hi to Alan @ar2381 but that was about it. We were swamped all week all over the show floor, but it really was a great week.