What's new

iPhone

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just re-signed up my contract with Verizon, but this could woo me over to AT&T next year. But I am sure this will get the other cell phone manufacturers to put out new stuff to try to keep up.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
No way this stays exclusive with Cingular. I give it 12 months MAXIMUM. IMHO, Apple would be more than stupid to keep this with one service provider.

Oh, and what's up with the 5 hour battery life I just read about? That's gotta hurt.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Interestingly enough, Cingular is in an exclusive agreement with Apple to be the sole provider till 2009. Sorry guys, the phone is locked as well so no chance of finding any unlocked iPhones at a reasonable price.

Hmmm...I had not seen this before posting. How firm is this? I can't believe that Apple would be stupid enough to tie themselves to one provider for that long! Like it or not, but it's the nature of the industry that some people simply are NOT going to go with Cingular no matter how bad they want the phone. I could have seen 2008 (like JUNE of 2008 maybe), but 2009? That puts this in Cingular's hands exclusively for a year and half. Longer than I would have expected, for sure.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
If you watched (or followed) the keynote, you'd understand WHY they choose one single carrier. They did it because they wanted to go BEYOND what a normal phone can do (specifically with the voicemail feature), so they had to have a "deeper integration" that required a lot of under-the-hood tinkering...something not possible with the normal programming hooks provided by the carriers.

I think they will eventually be able to duplicate it with other carriers, but it's not a simple as just saying, "everyone come to the party!" and have lotsa carriers available.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I love it, but the wireless carrier kills it for me. I just have to hope Verizon can get there hands on it in the next year or so.
unfortunately that won't happen. verizon is still stuck on CDMA, so their network won't ever be able to support the iPhone (which uses the newer GSM standard)

well, maybe after about 3 years they will release a CDMA version of it too, like motorola did with the razr, but personally, i dont see it ever happening

Quadry

Master Shake
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would not expect the price to drop. Apple is so far ahead of the curve that the price will most likely be the same for quite a while. Also the iPods have not really dropped in price until a new model has come out.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Damn. That's not good for me. The wife just got a new Treo not even 6 months ago. What are the chances she'll be able to use it on Cingular's network?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
This is one badass phone. If it works as well as the Ipod it will be a great peice of technology.

I will not go back to Cingular however. It is not that their service is bad in Jersey, but all my friends use Verizon so it is cost effective for me to have the "in network" where I am not charged for minutes.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hell, I'll go back in a heartbeat. The only problem I had was with dropped calls and I'm convinced that was the phone. I simply don't make enough phone calls to worry about minutes.

I will try and find someone with one and get them over to my house to see what reception is like first though. I swear I actually LIVE inside of a dead spot.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea I never had an issue with the service....it just makes sense for all the calling and text messaging I do