What's new

iphone

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Ron, did you ever end up picking one up? I finally broke down and picked one up and I have to say I'm totally loving it. Battery life is head and shoulders above the Razer I had, even after I ended up buying a new battery for the damn thing. Right now, with moderate use I'm probably averaging 2.5 days on a charge, though I'm now charging it whenever as the battery in the iPhone doesn't have the "memory" problems I'm used to dealing with on other phone batteries. My only complaints:
No MultiMedia Messaging (picture messages). Not a huge deal, never used it on my old phone, but it would be nice.
No repeating audible or visual missed call cue. You have to press the home button to see the screen to see if you've missed a call. Not a huge deal and plenty of other phones don't have the feature either.

That's really about it. The Edge network is fast enough for gov't work, so to speak, and on wifi it's really quick.

And the internet feature is absolutely amazing. So much better than any other phone out there it's in a whole other category.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yep, I'm waiting for my contract to expire too. My Nextel contract expires in May...after that I'll most likely get the iPhone and sign up with AT&T.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Keep your ears to the ground guys, if you have to wait until May, waiting just a bit longer might bring you the iPhone V2 with 3G capability (faster internet when not using WIFI) and who knows what else.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Keep your ears to the ground guys, if you have to wait until May, waiting just a bit longer might bring you the iPhone V2 with 3G capability (faster internet when not using WIFI) and who knows what else.
Any news on that front Jason? My contract expiring in May, plus the rebate check coming in around the same time might make waiting a little difficult. I haven't heard much on a timeframe for a 3G version.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
No one knows the timeframe for the next iPhone model (likely a 3G version), but all the rumor sites are saying second half of the year...and no one expects it before June, which is when the new 2.0 OS and the 3rd party software will be available (the developer SDK toolkit to make 3rd party software was just announced today, BTW).

FYI, it appears that some of the larger AT&T stores are selling refurb 4gb models for $199 and 8gb for $249.

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
i live to rurally to make getting an iphone practical although i would use the WIFI at school all the time. eventually when i move towards my career i will probably get one.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Any news on that front Jason? My contract expiring in May, plus the rebate check coming in around the same time might make waiting a little difficult. I haven't heard much on a timeframe for a 3G version.
Nothing new yet. As ES mentioned, there is nothing definite other than "this year" from the AT&T CEO early this year or late last year. They just announced a new software upgrade that will make the iPhone finally compatible with work servers and that is scheduled for probably around June. I honestly wouldn't expect the 3G to arrive any sooner than late this year...probably around the Holiday time. And Apple is sure to keep it under really, really tight wraps until the release it as they KNOW people are chewing their nails on whether to wait for it or go ahead and buy one now. They also know that as soon as they announce it they might as well write off all the inventory currently out there as no one will buy another iPhone until it comes out.

Wish I had better news and info for you, but that's the situation.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Alright Ron, if you haven't jumped, now's the time! They just announced the new 3G iPhone with built in GPS for $199 for the 8GB and $299 for the 16GB. I'm pissed off as mine's like 6 months old and I paid quite a bit more, but what are you going to do? The phone is pretty much exactly what I think it always needed to be (still with the conspicuous lack of multi-media texting (pic texting) though). If you don't have one, now's the time to get it.

Oh, and it's also about to become fully Microsoft Exchange compatible so I expect to start seeing them in the workforce more as well.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I'm sorry....you're pissed off that technology marches on?

Newsflash: it's been doing that since the beginning of technology! :rofl:

codemachine

Cigar n00b
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'll probably be buying a new iPhone come July 11th. My old one is a bit scuffed up from me dropping it, and I can get more storage, better battery life, and better network speeds for less than I originally paid. If anyone is interested in buying or trading some sticks for my old one, we should talk. Otherwise I'll probably unlock it and sell it on ebay to someone in a country where they are harder to come by.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Went from bad to worse here. Had the Razor. Kicked it to the curb for a Motorola Q. Now the "Q" is discontinued. I can figure out why. What a software nightmare. Worst phone ever. Getting ready to pull the trigger on something new.

Would love to give the IPhone a shot, but I am thinking of the Blackberry.

Any opinions on my move? I get a sh-tload of emails every day. Most of them BOTL (hehehe), but all are important.

Please advise.

Thanks

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm sorry....you're pissed off that technology marches on?

Newsflash: it's been doing that since the beginning of technology! :rofl:
Uh...NO. I'm irritated that the phone costs SIGNIFICANTLY less now than less than 6 months ago. I knew I was buying something less than would be out soon (and I was fairly confidant that it would have the features they introduced). I made the decision not to wait and I can live with that. It's the 1/2 price shit that irks me.

Hendy, the phone handles email wonderfully. And that should improve on the work side of things with the new ME support as well as another new service they are getting ready to introduce...can't remember the name of it right now.