What's new

iphone

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
i can imagine the freakin line at the Apple stores. i guess i will wait a while till the mania dies down

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Ron, I wouldn't count on it. Even when the original iPhone came out and people were talking about ridiculous lines, my buddy across the street was able to walk in and walk out of an Apple store with his new iPhone.

Also, they are sure to be online to be ordered as well.

codemachine

Cigar n00b
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I thought I should point out that the prices weren't lowered by Apple, they are being subsidized by the providers. And the prices are up to $199 and $299. They could be subsidized further by various companies here in the US or Overseas. So Apple is still making a bundle off each sale, but the lower prices are going to get more people to buy them and sign a 2 year contract with AT&T or Carphone Warehouse or whoever....

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
The new iPhone is has a slightly different shape on the backside (more rounded than the older flat backed model) but overall it's pretty much the same size.

And yeah, they should be widely available on the first day without too much hassle of lines and what not. The first few hours will be a madhouse, but things should be calm by the afternoon. They'll have plenty of them available, there was no serious shortage on the first day last time around.

Oh and Jason, I was just giving you shit about the constant forward march of technology. But hey, this is the SECOND TIME in a year that Apple has dropped the purchase price of the phone by $200. It started off $599, then $399, and now $199.

Maybe next time, they'll be free! Weeee-eeeeee!!! :grin:

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Not that my T-Mobile Dash compares to the I-phone, bit I love it and I'm not sure I'm willing to give in. The I-phone does have awesome features. I think I'm going to have to check it out. The price point is definitely better this time around.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Now that apps are becoming available and it has better data plan, its tempting but I have a year left on my sprint contract and a treo with unlimited data for less than what they charge on a voice plan on ATT.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I thought I should point out that the prices weren't lowered by Apple, they are being subsidized by the providers. And the prices are up to $199 and $299. They could be subsidized further by various companies here in the US or Overseas. So Apple is still making a bundle off each sale, but the lower prices are going to get more people to buy them and sign a 2 year contract with AT&T or Carphone Warehouse or whoever....
True. As a side note, keep in mind that the data plan is now $10/month more than it was with the old phone as well. So while the phones are cheaper because of the AT&T subsidy, you are going to pay an extra $120/year over someone with an Edge Network (the original) iPhone.

I guess I'll take solace in the fact that I'm currently saving $120/year. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hmm... iPhone3G or Blackberry Bold3G... What to do... What to do...

I love my Blackberry but damn that new iPhone is sweet and supports Exchange...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I love my iPhone, I am in the beta testing for 2.0 and the exchange support works fairly well, they also fixed a few other anoying things that 1.4 had, and SDK will provide all the apps the iphone is currently lacking. Cant wait for the 3G, but keep in mind you can buy one for $399 now, Jail break and unlock it, and you have it with no contract, on any GSM carrier. It is my understanding the new ones will only be available through a cell provider with a contract.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Tego, where can you buy one now? I assume you are talking the old phone? Apple has cleared them all out, unless the AT&T stores still have some? I was under the impression that if you wanted an iPhone you were pretty much waiting for the 3G version as there are no more to be had at the moment (unless you want to buy one from Ebay)...

codemachine

Cigar n00b
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Some apple retails stores still have some in stock and some AT&T stores still have some. But they are getting harder and harder to find. If you really want one of the current ones, and don't mind a few cosmetic scratches on the back, I'd be willing to sell you mine or trade it for some sticks after the new ones come out. I need the 3g speeds for work, edge is just too slow and frustrating for what I need to do.