What's new

Is 65% too dry?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My humidor I got back in late summer will not ever go above 65% even with a 75% Boveda 320. I felt it was time to do something because I hate not being able to control whatever RH I want. I looked around the back half of lid near hinges and was seeing a 1/16” gap all the way around back half of lid. Got my Little dremel tool, removed hinges and did some work to where they seat. Now all my gaps are gone, lid seals up good with no gaps, now I’m gonna give it time to see if it comes up.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Boveda looks puffy so you are not lacking moisture in the humidor. Give it time. What RH where your cigars held at before adding them to the humidor?
Thank you I will be patient. It’s winter here damn air has no moisture in it lol.

They were from a Habanos store on vacation then at a natural low 60% in the Caribbean for a few days. Some were in bags but some had to endure a 2h plane ride home in only the boxes.

In other news, I ran out of humidor and these other sticks are still in bags with Bovedas. How long can they last while I decide on an upgrade?

IMG_2455.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry boxing = when you take a cigar out of the humi/wino/cooler and put it in a "dry" box with less humidity for a couple days before smoking it. I don't do it, so someone else will have to tell you how effective it is
Ah gotcha. Thank you.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Plastic bags with Bovedas are fine as long as you have some type of temperature control. Kind of a mini tupperdor. I use doubled ziplocks all the time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Boudie

Now I need to start reading up on going bigger!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so last night I removed the tape, the humidity had climbed to 62%
in the morning it was 61% so I put the tape back on.
I may look for a Tupperware that the humidor can fit inside just for the winter. LOL.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
not a bad idea, just make sure it comes with the environmental seal in the lid.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok
It’s been 6 days and still hovering at 61-62 after adding sticks. I have 4 69 boveda packs and a tray of beads and it’s all taped up in case of leaks.

Do I just keep waiting or is something wrong?

IMG_2464.jpg

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
If your using the hygro on the front it could be the problem (leaks around the hole; never a great fit) it might be time to check with a different digital hydro in the humidor. Or that humidor is garbage. Just my 2 cents.

With all that humidification in a humidor that siE it shouldn’t be that hard unless your leaking, it wasn’t seasoned, or the hygro is off.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I just Saran wrapped it going to see what happens overnight.

Might be time for a wineador, this is full anyhow.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
And here I've been pronouncing it "bo-VEE-da" all these years...
I still pronounce it that way. Will always pronounce it that way. THen again, I'm originally from Brooklyn, we pronounce shit wrong all the time. We say Cawfee (coffee), tree (three) erl (oil), terlit (toilet). So saying bo VEE da is the right way of saying it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya I had 5 boveeeedas and the beads.

I couldn’t find a good Tupperware big enough so I just did this lol. Let’s see what happens.

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to battle a desktop pos. Coolidor and never look back; see sticky. Thank me later
Thank you
After Saran Wrap it’s already at 65%
So it must be leaking.

I’m going to cut away around the hydrometer first, see what happens, then the glass, see what happens, then the lid last, to find the leak. I’m just curios.

Going to a Wineador or cooler next.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Have you ever placed a flashlight in the humidor and turned off the room lights? May need to opaque the glass.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the hygrometer
Holding 68 then I cut the Saran Wrap dropped in an hour

IMG_2515.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transferred stickers to wineador

Going to try this RTV. After it cures is there a risk it will contaminate the cigars?

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looks like you kept it on the outside of the humidor so you should be fine. Once cured do the sniff test. Close up the humidor for a day or two then bury your nose inside and find out if you have any unpleasant odors. Some silicone take a while to lose the odor not sure about sensor grade, sounds like good stuff.