What's new

Is it really just personal preference?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutters, cutters, cutters!

I've used a straight G cutter; I currently own a bad $1.50 cutter from the PX. It works okay I guess. I've heard good things about the palio cutter. But what about V cutters, or cigar punch cutters?

Is it just personal preference or are there rational reasons for all the different methods? I mean some of the stuff out there looks like man-jewlery.

Thoughts?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I have a Palio cutter and love it. I've only tried the Xikar scissors once so I can't give a full reivew on them. I've never used a V cutter or cigar punch.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Palio is my go to cutter now.

I also have the Havana Cutter, I keep this one in the car. My Xikar has sat since I bought my Palio.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I used a Xikar for a few years and liked it alot until I got my Swiss Army Knife cutter. It gives a MUCH better cut imo. I have many friends that swear by the Palio, and they do give a great cut, I just like the scissor type cutter. It's a matter of personal preference.

Don't like punches, that's just me.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
It really is personal preference. To a degree. Once you find a good cutter, and I mean a GOOD cutter (Xikar, Palio, SAK, etc.) you will never go back to the cheapies.

Cutters are one of the fun, sometimes inexpensive accessories that go with cigars. It can be fun trying out new ones, but ever since I got my first Xikar I've never really switched. I have the SAK and it's great for when I'm out on the golf course or some such, but when I'm home, I always reach for the Xikar. Don't have a Palio so I can't comment. As for punches? They are easy to carry and they get the job done, but I just don't use mine anymore. Some folks will tell you it causes an unecessary build up of tars and such which will affect the flavors of the cigar as you smoke it.

My neigbhor across the street swears by his v-cutter. I don't see the benefit, but that's just me. Different strokes.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To a great extent, it's personal preference. E.g., sometimes I like the feel of a notch-cut cigar in my mouth, sometimes a straight cut, etc. However, some vitolas dictate the cutter: You need a guillotine or scissors for a torpedo or other figurado with a pointed head; a punch is best for narrow ring gauge cigars, especially if they have squared-off heads, etc. That's why I carry a punch on my keychain, a Palio in my pocket, and a lighter with a built-in notch cutter. :agreeclen

As to specific brands, IMHO Palios are the best guillotines out there. Frankly, the $2 disposables from Holt's are pretty damned good, but not up to the Palio level. JMO, YMMV.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Some folks will tell you it causes an unecessary build up of tars and such which will affect the flavors of the cigar as you smoke it./QUOTE]

This is what I have heard as well, although I can't say that I've really noticed it. I have a Xikar punch that I use very rarely, and as Vperlman pointed out, they seem better for the smaller ring gauges.

I routinely use my Palio or my Xikar blade cutters about 50/50 and like them both equally, although I've had my Xikar for many years so it's more of an old friend!

Never tried a V-notch cutter.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
For me it depends on the ring size that determines what I use to cut.

(up to 30) I use a small v-cutter for cheroots.
(up to 38) I use a punch
(over 40) I use my Xikar

It's not cast in concrete, but that's pretty much a standard for me.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I used a Xikar for a few years and liked it alot until I got my Swiss Army Knife cutter. It gives a MUCH better cut imo. I have many friends that swear by the Palio, and they do give a great cut, I just like the scissor type cutter. It's a matter of personal preference.

Don't like punches, that's just me.
Ditto...'cept I used to use a Palio...now it is packed up in a box some where because of the move.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I have to aggree that it is a mixture of personal preference and function.

I used a punch for a few years because I smoked some cigars that unraveled when I used a guillotine on them. I stopped because I found that the smaller hole seemed to make the smoke harsher somehow. I could have been smoking the cigars too fast, but I chose to blame it on the punch.

The same for the V cut. Found that if I bit on the cigar much, the cut would collapse.

Go strictly for the full cut now. I use my Xikar and Palio equally. Tend to use the Xikar when out more often. Recently lost it and didn’t waste anytime replacing it. I also use the Xikar Multi-tool, it’s lighter and smaller in the pocket.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
You all covered what I have in mind. Have a Xikar and love it in my limited experience. I want a Palio but not want to spend the money right now. I hear there GRRRRRRRREAT !

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have an Xikar, Sak, multiple punches and a Palio, but hands down the Palio gives me the most consistent cut!!! It's all I use now.

Rich

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I agree that quality cutters blow away the cheapies ... but even then some have their quirks. Personal preference definately comes into play though.

I used a Xicar when they first came out but found that while the design is very cool, the ergonomics are not. I found it heavy, clunky and it occasionally pinched my palm. Cuts were also not always clean.

I've had a SAK for a few years now. While I find it can give the most precise cut of any device I have, it is also somewhat clunky in size, takes more time to use and can be a bit rough on the fingers.

My Palio gets used mostly on belicoso / pyramide shaped cigars, but it's fine for anything I smoke. It's light, easy to use and cuts clean.

I mostly use a punch as it's the smallest, most efficient and easiest to use. Cuts clean and I never have a problem with the wrapper unraveling.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I use the Xicar scissors. Attaches to the key chain and goes everywhere. great cut. At home Swiss Army Knife.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i got an xicar xi2, and i love it. i dont use anything else. a while ago i made the switch from cheapies to the xicar and i havent looked back since

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have several of the Xikar cutters, love them all. HOWEVER, I just got my first Palio cutter from Mark and now I'm spoiled! I love the feel and the cut...

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
The first good cutter I had was a Xikar and I got so used it that when I first got my Palio it didn't feel right so I kept going back to the Xikar. Now I use both equally. The only problem is I tend to forgot where I left them last. The other night I just didn't feel like looking for them so I just bit the end off my RASS. Barbaric!
It smoked just fine though.:smokingbo