What's new

Is it really just personal preference?

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I feel that the palio holds it's edge better than the xikar, and the mechanism inside tends to bind up on the xikar. Of the xikar products, I much prefer the multi tool I had to the regular cutters they make.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Gonna need some proof on that one my friend. What makes it superior?
Proof's in the pudding, so to speak, when it comes to cutters. You'd need to test one out yourself. Once again, it's personal pref though. Some like the design of the Xikar, some don't.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I do have one of them. I like how it cuts.
:thumbsup: There ya go! I used a $2.50 cutter for years. Bought four of em to have in all my cars until I got my XiKar and my daughter gave me a SWK for Christmas. Now, I guess I'll have to breakdown and find a Palio just to compare. I think the reality hits when you have to buy an emergency cheapo and gives you a bad cut that you really learn to appreaciate good cutters. 2 cents

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Chuck, like all said above, it's personal preference but you'd really have to cut a cigar with it to tell.

Fly on out for an NYC herf and I'll let ya give mine a test drive!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Chuck, like all said above, it's personal preference but you'd really have to cut a cigar with it to tell.

Fly on out for an NYC herf and I'll let ya give mine a test drive!
:thumbsup: Now how can I pass on a deal like that! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
It all boils down to what you like. If really pressed I have to say I probably like my Xikar a little better than my Palio.
Same is true of lighters. I just haven't been able to bring myself to plunk down over $100 for a lighter when I have a Zippo insert that works just fine. It's all in what you like.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I like the look of my Xikar better than my Palio. However, with the new carbon fiber & wood grain coming out from Palio that could change.

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta find a Palio... Since this is thread-related, here's a funny story happened to me yesterday:

So a few of my work buddies and I went to Havana Dreams, a smoke/scotch shop nearby in Queens. We walk in and I see a typical jar of misc. cutters for about $5, any cutter in the jar. Sitting on top of the pile I see what looks like a brand new Palio. I say out loud, "Oh Great! A Palio! I've been trying to find these, and this looks perfect."

The guys I was with definately LIKE cigars, like most guys. But they know very little about different brands of cigars, much less cutters. (Strike that: I know very little about all this stuff- the friends I was with know less than me.

So I go into the walk-in humidor to pick out a cigar. I come out to grab the cutter and pay for both, and one of the guys I was with is ALREADY paying for the friggin Palio! I didn't say anything, but the other guys heard me say I was going to get that one (of course, the LAST ONE!!!) Everyone looked at him, and they were like, Dude, WTF? Ben was going to get that! He said nothing, pocketed the gem that he didn't even knew he had.

Whatever- we all had a fantastic smoke, some sat outside in the covered patio area, some inside watching football... It's an excellent place.

I'm puttin' that behind me, and now I'm on the hunt for a new Palio of my own... (And when those new ones come out, I'm sure I'll search for one of those too.)