What's new

It's Official: The Most Asinine Cigar Ever Released

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Saka said on Smoke Night Live last night that he's not actually selling these cigars, but giving them to retailers who place an order for his (Saka's) other cigars during the month of January. The retailers can then do what they want with them. I think that's pretty cool. Of course the cost of these things, whether sold by the retailers or on the secondary market, will still be ridiculous.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Fwiw, Aaron and Cass both have valid points, and this release will be taken both ways. It just is what it is.

Which brings up another thought, what has this board done to me!?!

I've always been a shit stirrer/ button pusher, how on earth have I gotten to the point of being a voice of reason and reconciliation!?! :( Dammit Chuck, I blame you.... ;)
You just cant compete with the King of shit stirring @ChuckMejia

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'm disappointed in how his lines have gone in the past several months. Each release is a 'special exclusive' and the price has gone up each time. Based on what I was told about him, I didn't expect it to go this route. This price is just ridiculous. For that price, I better be getting a hand job with the experience.
Wow, That still puts the cigar at $95!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Ouch... this stings... <snicker>

There were only 1,000 of these cigars crafted and they have an MSRP of $100.00 each.
--

Cigar Origin and Info

The “Unicorn” is a pet project of mine gone awry. It was predicated on my disappointing experiences with dozens of individual “uber-rare”, “absolute best in the world”, and “sell your soul to get” cigars with price tags ranging from $100.00 to $3000.00 over the years. IMO, the vast majority of these cigars were just marketing gimmicks and even worse, many of them just plain sucked. Not only unworthy of their price tags, but not even worth my smoking.

So, it got me thinking: “What if I went whole hog crazy and did everything to the Nth degree on the cigar itself?” Meaning no gold leaf, bazillion dollar alcohol infusion, humidor quality box, or celebrity endorsement, but rather just focused on the tobacco and cigar itself. What could I possibly spend to make such a cigar? And would those costs justify the result?

First things first, I desired it to have a beautiful, one of a kind shape. I wanted to make a perfecto like those I saw in the cartoons of yesteryear, while also being truly unique. So, I bought a lathe and all the sharp tools required and handcrafted the very first one myself out of hardwood to serve as the prototype from which 24 custom molds were created. The fact that I have retained all ten fingers and my eyesight is a miracle – trust me, it was scary in the beginning!

Being such a “broadleaf whore”, I knew I wanted my Unicorn to be made with my favorite capa, but at the same time I wanted it to be a sophisticated cigar. Now “a sophisticated broadleaf cigar” is an oxymoron, so I really had my work cut out for me. It forced us to scour dozens of broadleaf pilons to find most finely textured wrapper leaf with stellar color, flavor and burn. Also, I wanted to utilize the finest of Nicaraguan tripas: only the fleshiest, most oily of leaf that had been cured and fermented to perfection from the very best harvests of the past 7 years. This unreasonable quest had us hand sorting over 6,000lbs of Grade A+ leaf to ultimately select less than 2% for use within this liga. These puros are crafted with the absolute best curated tobaccos in the world, bar none.

Add in the most tedious and intricate bunching techniques required to accommodate this 7-tobacco perfecto’s recipe, the single best torcedor in all of Nicaragua to execute this challenging vitola coupled with exhaustive quality standards and, “Voilà! You have the Unicorn!”

The cost and task proved to be beyond absurd, and in all sincerity, while the results are spectacular and the cigar is priced in scale with the expense and labor invested, I find it hard to justify the reasoning for making something so difficult, costly and rare to just light ablaze.

That being said, I am extremely proud of the immense effort and talent we invested into crafting only 1,000 of these unparalleled works of arts. The Muestra de Saka Unicorn is arguably one of the rarest and finest production cigars on the planet without exception.

--

Originally I made these in 2016 with the intent of using them for events only, but in the end they proved to be to costly.

I really never had any interest in being in the $100 cigar business. Yes, I know many retailers are and do well with these insanely priced rare cigars, but it is just not my cup of tea. That being said, I have already been deluged with requests for this cigar by both retailers and consumers.

So what I decided to do is NOT SELL them, but rather make them available to any of our Retailers who place a restocking order with us in January.

Now what they choose to do with them is their business.

Some will sell them, others will use them as raffle items. I suspect most will use them as BONUS goods, ie. buy 2 Boxes of a DTT brand and Get a Unicorn, and I know some accounts are going to just use them for their best customers.

--

Is any cigar worth a $100? Of course not...

People pay way more some Liga Privadas, Behikes, Ghurkas and Dominican Davidoffs - heck I have recently seen a brand made by a little know, marginal cigar maker selling for over $100 in retail stores.

The Unicorn is a work of art, was stupid crazy expensive to make which is my fault, and imo compared to all the above mentioned cigars is definitely worth it.

That being said, it is in the end just a cigar. And for my money, I would rather buy 10 Mi Queridas or 6 Muestra de Saka Nacatamales.

BR,

Steve Saka
www.dunbartoncigars.com
Saka said on Smoke Night Live last night that he's not actually selling these cigars, but giving them to retailers who place an order for his (Saka's) other cigars during the month of January. The retailers can then do what they want with them. I think that's pretty cool. Of course the cost of these things, whether sold by the retailers or on the secondary market, will still be ridiculous.
This is actually pretty damn cool. Yeah it's a bummer I'm not likely to get to try one, and I think $100+ sticks are silly (especially in my world) but come on! Steve has done this in the best way possible. I don't think any of us if we were in his position wouldn't do the exact same thing, but probably not as well. I mean really, you always need a challenge and something unique to try, that's just the nature of life. + playing with a lathe is scary fun, can I get an amen! ;)
But yeah, as a work of art, I can totally appreciate it. Might have been nice if there were 2500 or 5k, but then I guess it might need a different name..
I will say Steve, if you don't have a use for all of those molds now, I suspect a few of our more illustrious homerollers here would be as happy as a kid getting a pony for Christmas to get their hands on one.. ;) I know @Hopduro would.. @ssaka (y)
All in all, good work man. Cool stuff. And as others said, that Sobremesa is kick ass.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
This is actually pretty damn cool. Yeah it's a bummer I'm not likely to get to try one, and I think $100+ sticks are silly (especially in my world) but come on! Steve has done this in the best way possible. I don't think any of us if we were in his position wouldn't do the exact same thing, but probably not as well. I mean really, you always need a challenge and something unique to try, that's just the nature of life. + playing with a lathe is scary fun, can I get an amen! ;)
But yeah, as a work of art, I can totally appreciate it. Might have been nice if there were 2500 or 5k, but then I guess it might need a different name..
I will say Steve, if you don't have a use for all of those molds now, I suspect a few of our more illustrious homerollers here would be as happy as a kid getting a pony for Christmas to get their hands on one.. ;) I know @Hopduro would.. @ssaka (y)
All in all, good work man. Cool stuff. And as others said, that Sobremesa is kick ass.
you having a "fan" moment bro?

;)

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
you having a "fan" moment bro?

;)
Haha, Not really. Just thoroughly impressed. Seriously couldn't have been done in a better way. But it do love art work, perfectos, and broadleaf.. ;) and lathes..
I see where people are coming from, but he really didn't deserve to get his balls busted this hard over it. I woulda done nearly the same thing.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Haha, Not really. Just thoroughly impressed. Seriously couldn't have been done in a better way. But it do love art work, perfectos, and broadleaf.. ;) and lathes..
I see where people are coming from, but he really didn't deserve to get his balls busted this hard over it. I woulda done nearly the same thing.
The internet is rough bro. But fair. :)

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I did, We should, and Soda with quality Scotch is so wrong.
Its all about the right soda, or pop as others may call it. Gotta get a nice bubbly but balanced soda/pop with good artificial flavors.

Let me know when you want to vherf and ill make time, but I'm on EST now, so nothing crazy late.