What's new

Just had my first hit of Scotch. Yikes!

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
"start off with a nice, smooth bourbon like Maker's" +1

I'm a Maker's guy, couple of ice cubes & it's heaven in a glass.
The only hard alcohol I drink regularly is Maker's Mark on the rocks.

I am in the acceptance stage of scotch. Much like coffee the first few times I HATED it but it grows on you over time I have noticed. My dad LOVES fine single barrel scotch. I will drink it with him as I like it, just not love it nor will buy it. He does have 2 unopened bottles of Macallan 18 year he bought in the 90's that he has saving for me. One is to drink on my wedding day.

scotchNstogie

Crossbones 2011
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Scotch... Neat perhaps with a drop or two of water. Never over ice.

For someone new to the world of scotch, I would suggest a blend. Much like the bourbons that have been suggested on here, the blended whiskys tend to be more approachable, often with a smoother and sweeter profile.

Compare it to the world of wines. There are some great red wines that have an amazing flavor, however, if you don't normally drink reds, I would suggest a lighter less dry red to start with, not a Cab Heavy Bordeaux or Super Tuscan.

Scotch like cigars is individual and you will find you love what some do, and perhaps hate what others rave about. I for one have never been a fan of Macallan. If you want to stick to single malts, try the Balvenie, Glenmorangie, or perhaps the Glenlivet French Oak.

What kind of glass are you drinking out of?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Damn... the opinions are varied. Much like the taste preference with cigars. I can't detect some of the flavors that some brothers detect with cigars, so I'll assume it's the same with alcohol.

If I can just lure jwintosh into my lair, I'm sure he'll help me with the bottle :)

edit: I drank about 1/4 of the bottle, actually. My neighbor showed up with some peanut butter ale, and I've put the nasty juice to rest :)

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
at what age does scoth become undrinkable? how old is too old?
at the distillery, when it all evaporates out of barrel with age.

post bottling: never, unless the bottle is not sealed properly, then evaporates. see first point.

it's not a max age line, just that after decades there is so little LEFT that it is not cost effective to explore anymore.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
at the distillery, when it all evaporates out of barrel with age.

post bottling: never, unless the bottle is not sealed properly, then evaporates. see first point.

it's not a max age line, just that after decades there is so little LEFT that it is not cost effective to explore anymore.
the reason I ask is. I have an unopened bottle of j&b from about 25-30 years ago, never opened in a closet and wondered if it was drinkable

scotchNstogie

Crossbones 2011
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
the reason I ask is. I have an unopened bottle of j&b from about 25-30 years ago, never opened in a closet and wondered if it was drinkable

It is still good to drink. However, keep in mind that Scotch is a dead spirit, so it does not age in the bottle. Keeping a 12 year old scotch for 20 years does not make a 32 year old bottle. It makes a 20 year old bottle of 12 year old scotch.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
I Hated scotch years ago. I started drinking brandy, then bourbon, and after a few more years I developed the taste for scotch. Now I drink it all the time. I hate Peaty scotches cause it taste like turpentine and seaweed. I love single malts from the Speyside. They have the most complexity IMHO. Got a bottle of Glenfiddich Cask of Dreams, phenomenal stuff. Much like the Snow Phoenix.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to develop a taste for scotch myself and I honestly think I've had my share (as well as a few other peoples'). I honestly prefer a mid-level bourbon or good Irish. I bought a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 a couple years ago and pour a (small) glass every 6 months or so and still can't get into it. I've also sampled others over the years and still no dice. At this point I don't see a point in forcing the issue.

I guess like I see people post one here about cigars - "smoke what you like and like what you smoke" applies to drinking too.

... On a side note.. anyone want to trade some smokes for 3/4 bottle of scotch? I'll duct tape that cork on there and send it your way - I promise it's urine free :skew: (and if that's a violation of the board or being a newbie I'm just joking).

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Any distilled spirit is an acquired taste, Gin, bourbon, scotch, tequila etc. Just got to find what you like. I cant drink scotch straight always a scotch and soda but to be honest never really tried a higher end scotch just the "swill" at local bars.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The first bottle of scotch I bought probably lasted five years before I finished it. Thought it was terrible. At some point in my life, someone told me you just have to get through the first several scotches and it's like a switch gets flipped. At some point it becomes the only thing you want to drink.

That is exactly what happened to me. My wife bought me a bottle of good stuff for my birthday and to show gratitude I made myself drink it. Choke it down is probably a more accurate description. About halfway through the bottle I started thinking " this ain't half bad". So I went and bought a bottle of something a little cheaper so I could save her present. By half way through that bottle, I was hooked. Now, it is almost the only thing I will drink. I loooove me some scotch.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Up until a few months ago I never really enjoyed Scotch most of the Scotch I had wasn't good Scotch either just with a friend here and there. With all this cigar smoking over the past year and a half I see everyone drinking Scotch and Bourbon etc. About 3 months ago someone offered me some Johnnie Walker Double black and I really enjoyed it. Next thing I know I'm buying bottles of single malt, joining a scotch society and going down another slippery slope like cigars.

My personal opinion I think it helps to start with a couple ice cubes when you are new. As you get used to it and enjoy it more go down to 1 cube and than eventually just a drop of water to open it up.

I would try balvanie cariban cask for a single malt starter, for blended I do like Johnie walker green.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have struggled with getting a taste for scotch for years myself. Unfortunately the ones I liked were not the main stream 12 year old it was a 21 year old Balvanie Port Wood that got me going and now I have to mirror Raschnuts with the Double Black, Green and the Balvanie CC with the rum nuance.

I am a rookie on the cigar side and have to say my tastes with cigars have been the same way. I have certainly found my enjoyment of scotch has significantly improved with a good cigar.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
It is still good to drink. However, keep in mind that Scotch is a dead spirit, so it does not age in the bottle. Keeping a 12 year old scotch for 20 years does not make a 32 year old bottle. It makes a 20 year old bottle of 12 year old scotch.
x2. Also, you may have a problem opening the bottle if the cork is dry rotted. You'll go to open it up and the cork may very well just break right off.

My grandmom has probably 100 bottles of rum, whiskey and wine from the 70s and 80s and we popped a couple open in January and we had trouble with all of the corked bottles.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I've never understood the "acquired taste" theory. If I drink something and don't like it, I don't try and force myself to like it. There are plenty of other drinks out there.

I love Tequila, Irish Whiskey and Bourbon straight up. I drink Cognac and Brandy as well. Won't touch Scotch with a ten foot pole, tastes like ass to me.