What's new

Just Pulled The Trigger On An Accumonitor 20-40

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Not much that's photo worthy right now. Today I got my crown moulding done and all my Spanish cedar resawn and glued up in panels. Tomorrow I'll run the panels through the sander and get them down to the thickness I want, and can finally start installing the cedar. Then I'll post a pic. Oh, I also made the drawer front today as well, I'd forgotten to do it so now that's done too. Hopefully next week I can get the drawers done, and humidification installed, then I just need to get glass for the top doors. Oh shit, I guess I gotta put some sort of finish on the damn thing, forgot about that too. Guess I have some work to do, but now that the cedar is resawn, I can get some serious work done.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Just posted some new pics of what's been done lately. I haven't worked on the humidor in a while, but now got a bug up my ass to get it done.

I installed the cedar, humidification, crown molding, got the drawer and shelves figured out but not yet built. I'm thinking a couple weeks and I can start to season it.

Photobucket Linky

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I had my local lumber yard special order it for me, the first order that came in I rejected as it looked like crap. The second shipment was very nice. I think it was like $7.50 a bdft, and I ended up getting 60 bdft. Not sure if it'll be enough as I've got a lot of shelves and a drawer to make yet. Oh, it was 4/4.

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
yeah, that's what I was guessing. my local place that I know has it, wants $12/bdft, but he's a small guy that has the best exotic wood in town. ebony pieces that are 8"x8"x60", wow.

but the big lumber yard I usually go to should be able to get me some good stuff, I am thinking 8/4 about 100 bdft

thanx man

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Hey Wade, how much to build me one?!?
Hard question to answer, I've got just over 1k into mine in materials alone, not counting a minute of labor.

Thing is, guys like Ron & Matt, Bob Stabel, Arlin Liss, they all order lumber and supplies in such quantities because they make so many, that they get much better lumber costs. Along with the larger part of because they do them so often, they have exactly the plans and procedures to go right ahead and whip out another, (I don't mean that in a bad way at all) but because they've done it so many times, the R&D area for them is nothing. I drew a crude plan, and then it was a LOT of "create on the fly" to actually make things work. Larger shops that specialize in say humidors in this case have a lot of jigs and such to help them in accuracy and speed of assembly and production. I, need to make all those things for each project. Not to mention they have a lot more cool tools than I, hell, look at pics of Sascha's shop and he's a hobbyist as well. The actual guys that do this for a living have all the cool shit!

So in the end, you'd honestly be able to get one cheaper going through one of the actual humidor makers. I didn't make my own to save money, but being a hobbyist woodworker, I just wanted to do my own cause I can.

Wade

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Sorry Gregg, so it's not that I don't want to build you one, or wouldn't, it's just that I think you could get one done much less expensive if you could find one from Avallo or Aristocrat as it wouldn't be a one off piece of furniture.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Sascha,

I was meaning to tell you, I had my crown molding made from boards that I'd bought for the humidor so they matched. When I was cutting them to install them, I cut the sides long so they could be easily fitted after the front piece was installed. As I was going to cut the piece for the front, I had the left side miter done and measured for the right side and was going to cut that piece a couple inches longer and then start the fine tuning process as I'd never done crown before. When I got to the miter saw, for some reason I placed the crown at where I thought my mark was, but actually it was a random mark on the wood. HOLY FREAKIN' HANK, I miscut my crown molding! However, I miscut it to EXACTLY the right length, one more 32nd or worse yet 16th and I'd have been screwed and having more made. It was freakin' dead nuts spot on perfect! Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! :eyebrow:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Hard question to answer, I've got just over 1k into mine in materials alone, not counting a minute of labor.

Thing is, guys like Ron & Matt, Bob Stabel, Arlin Liss, they all order lumber and supplies in such quantities because they make so many, that they get much better lumber costs. Along with the larger part of because they do them so often, they have exactly the plans and procedures to go right ahead and whip out another, (I don't mean that in a bad way at all) but because they've done it so many times, the R&D area for them is nothing. I drew a crude plan, and then it was a LOT of "create on the fly" to actually make things work. Larger shops that specialize in say humidors in this case have a lot of jigs and such to help them in accuracy and speed of assembly and production. I, need to make all those things for each project. Not to mention they have a lot more cool tools than I, hell, look at pics of Sascha's shop and he's a hobbyist as well. The actual guys that do this for a living have all the cool shit!

So in the end, you'd honestly be able to get one cheaper going through one of the actual humidor makers. I didn't make my own to save money, but being a hobbyist woodworker, I just wanted to do my own cause I can.

Wade
Very nicely put Wade.

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Sascha,

I was meaning to tell you, I had my crown molding made from boards that I'd bought for the humidor so they matched. When I was cutting them to install them, I cut the sides long so they could be easily fitted after the front piece was installed. As I was going to cut the piece for the front, I had the left side miter done and measured for the right side and was going to cut that piece a couple inches longer and then start the fine tuning process as I'd never done crown before. When I got to the miter saw, for some reason I placed the crown at where I thought my mark was, but actually it was a random mark on the wood. HOLY FREAKIN' HANK, I miscut my crown molding! However, I miscut it to EXACTLY the right length, one more 32nd or worse yet 16th and I'd have been screwed and having more made. It was freakin' dead nuts spot on perfect! Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! :eyebrow:

hahaha, isn't that the truth.

my plans are only in my head as of now, my cooling units and the accumonitor should arrive next week.
I have to figure out how to build the insulation and what design i'll choose, i am thinking of a fairly contemporary piece with legs, no crown molding(lucky me) and probably veneer and not solid. not to safe money, but I am thinking bookmatched veneer, something cool outside, SC inside.
the walls will be at least 2" thick and I want it to be a bit european style contemporary, straight lines and such, but I have not made a plan yet. dimensions will be about like yours i guess.

i just finished 2 fireplace shelves for a friend. i veneered this time to learn it better and use my vacuum press that i bought 6 months ago and never used, but this think is awesome. looks like solid lumber and all i used was some MDF.
I am waiting for the driftmaster fence for my Laguna bandsaw to cut better veneers. if all goes well, i might even use something exotic, some rosewood or anything rare, but we'll see

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I really see myself getting into wood working when I get a house and have room for a shop.