What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Anyone have experience with kids on Keto diet? Attitude improvement?
I've heard it does for many.

We don't make our kids do strict keto, but have severely cut their sugar and carbs. It has improved mood, focus, and (unfortunately at times) energy...

Some people do put their kids on keto for mental and behavioral issues though. Better than medications if it helps the problem.

Some issues are more disciplinary, or require above and beyond thoughtful clever parenting. I know there's some great books and tips out there. Heard a lot of good about "raising a strong willed child"

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Keto and skin. The cutting out of sugar and insulin spiking carbs often has a profoundly beneficial effect on psoriasis, eczema and acne.
https://www.dermveda.com/articles/the-pros-and-cons-of-the-ketogenic-diet-for-your-skin
Unfortunately a small percentage of people, excrete their excess Ketones through their pores, instead of breath or urine. This can cause varying degrees of irritation. Often it will pass as ketone levels balance out and can be mitigated by keeping the carb level a little higher with health carbs like beans, sweet potatoes, fruit, etc.

Last edited:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Put on a lot of goo in the middle this summer after breaking my leg playing hockey. I was used to playing 3-4 nights a week. Suddenly no weight bearing for almost 3 months after surgery, and limited mobility until recently.

I've been on my version of Keto for 35 days now. Somewhat more protein than traditional Keto, fat intake isn't crazy high like they say (although still higher than I've had in years...whole eggs instead of whites, more cheese, unlimited bacon, lol). the kicked for me is the carbs....I've been under 10 net carbs a day for the last 32.

Energy has been enough to sustain lifting 6 days a week and cardio at least 4. I don't use the scale for results, but the mirror. The majority of what I put on in the middle since May is gone. I was originally going to go 30 days and then come out of ketosis for a bit, but I've changed that and now plan to go 60 days before slowly reintroducing more carbs. I now see that even with the shape I was in with all the hockey, I was still thicker around the middle than I want to be, so I am going to take it bac down past my condition "pre-injury".

I did a lot of internet research before starting, and found lots of evidence supporting the higher protein and limited fat version for someone active like myself.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
My wife has done a combination of low carb and keto on and off over the last few years.

One thing we like are the Atkins products - they are a bit spendy - but they're great for the occasional snack or shake.

When she's itchin for fast food - we hit up Wendy's and she gets a baconator - removes the buns and that gets her fix in. Lots of eggs / bacon / meat in our lives when shes on the wagon :)

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Put on a lot of goo in the middle this summer after breaking my leg playing hockey. I was used to playing 3-4 nights a week. Suddenly no weight bearing for almost 3 months after surgery, and limited mobility until recently.

I've been on my version of Keto for 35 days now. Somewhat more protein than traditional Keto, fat intake isn't crazy high like they say (although still higher than I've had in years...whole eggs instead of whites, more cheese, unlimited bacon, lol). the kicked for me is the carbs....I've been under 10 net carbs a day for the last 32.

Energy has been enough to sustain lifting 6 days a week and cardio at least 4. I don't use the scale for results, but the mirror. The majority of what I put on in the middle since May is gone. I was originally going to go 30 days and then come out of ketosis for a bit, but I've changed that and now plan to go 60 days before slowly reintroducing more carbs. I now see that even with the shape I was in with all the hockey, I was still thicker around the middle than I want to be, so I am going to take it bac down past my condition "pre-injury".

I did a lot of internet research before starting, and found lots of evidence supporting the higher protein and limited fat version for someone active like myself.
Yeah, people are really missing the point trying to go that high fat, particularly if their goal is burning body fat!

High protein, moderate fat is the right way to do it for sure. Possibly need more fat intake for fuel once someone hits their goal body fat percentage.

Nice! It's really great to hear that you're recovering and rebuilding Tom. I've been wondering how it was going.

In case you didn't already know, you have lower lifting strength the first few weeks of your muscles running on Ketones instead of glycogen. After fat adaption ( 6-8 weeks) strength comes back to normal levels, then quickly increases.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
My wife has done a combination of low carb and keto on and off over the last few years.

One thing we like are the Atkins products - they are a bit spendy - but they're great for the occasional snack or shake.

When she's itchin for fast food - we hit up Wendy's and she gets a baconator - removes the buns and that gets her fix in. Lots of eggs / bacon / meat in our lives when shes on the wagon :)
Atkins products fit the macros, and they're tasty. But the ingredients are pretty shitty. Lots of soy, sucralose, malitol. I was kinda shocked and disappointed since they're the big name.

Seems like the quest, Kirkland, and pure protein stuff is supposed to be pretty good.
People seem to like the quest "hero" bars over the regular, and the quest cookies seem to be popular.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Yeah, people are really missing the point trying to go that high fat, particularly if their goal is burning body fat!

High protein, moderate fat is the right way to do it for sure. Possibly need more fat intake for fuel once someone hits their goal body fat percentage.

Nice! It's really great to hear that you're recovering and rebuilding Tom. I've been wondering how it was going.

In case you didn't already know, you have lower lifting strength the first few weeks of your muscles running on Ketones instead of glycogen. After fat adaption ( 6-8 weeks) strength comes back to normal levels, then quickly increases.
Thanks Jeremy. I've noticed that my strength is down at this, the 5 week mark, but right now the fat loss is my priority. It's good to hear that my strength may take a jump back up in a week or two, that would be good for my continued motivation. But as of now I am really happy (actually, kind of amazed) with the results to this point.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Atkins products fit the macros, and they're tasty. But the ingredients are pretty shitty. Lots of soy, sucralose, malitol. I was kinda shocked and disappointed since they're the big name.

Seems like the quest, Kirkland, and pure protein stuff is supposed to be pretty good.
People seem to like the quest "hero" bars over the regular, and the quest cookies seem to be popular.
neither of us have found a quest product that we actually like - its unfortunate really.

my wife likes to take a cheat day once every two weeks or so - get out of ketosis and then back in the next day. seems to really keep the weight loss moving whereas when she didn't incorporate one it seemed to slow / level out here and there.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
neither of us have found a quest product that we actually like - its unfortunate really.

my wife likes to take a cheat day once every two weeks or so - get out of ketosis and then back in the next day. seems to really keep the weight loss moving whereas when she didn't incorporate one it seemed to slow / level out here and there.
Bummer. Not even the "hero" line?
I think the quest protein powder is pretty good. Not the best, but not bad.
Have y'all tried any of the other brands and found any good stuff?

Interesting. I've read that an occasional shock to the metabolism can be helpful for plateaus.
But ideally after the first 6-8 weeks so that it doesn't slow down adaptation.
Or generate cravings.

Last edited:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks Jeremy. I've noticed that my strength is down at this, the 5 week mark, but right now the fat loss is my priority. It's good to hear that my strength may take a jump back up in a week or two, that would be good for my continued motivation. But as of now I am really happy (actually, kind of amazed) with the results to this point.
It definitely will. And it's so encouraging when it does. Then the increase begins in the next week or so and you get that "F'k yeah!" feeling..

In the meantime getting some extra salt and potassium pre workout can be surprisingly helpful if you're not getting enough. (y)

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Some good Keto recipes.

https://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/

http://www.listotic.com/90-second-keto-bread-in-a-microwave/ so good, so adaptable.

https://ketosizeme.com/keto-sausage-balls/
Change the flour to 2/3 almond four, 1/3 coconut flour, add 1-2 Oz softened cream cheese, and add more seasonings and spices.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11DRzFUJlY71MRzJVNszVQ4LpsufFhPDTCvIGde1SLMw/mobilebasic

https://nobunplease.com/ - also some good tips on eating out keto. Even fast food. Most places will turn a burger into a lettuce wrap no problem.
Some people like to order loaded broccoli at restaurants. All the loaded baked potato toppings on broccoli.

https://jenniferbanz.com/low-carb-biscuits-gravy

So freaking good. -
https://cookiesandcups.com/slow-cooker-crack-chicken/
(maybe add some heavy cream)

Zucchini is a super handy veg. We eat it sautéed with garlic with our eggs and bacon or sausage most mornings.
It can also be used for zucchini boats, or shaved into zoodles for a noodle replacement.
Spaghetti squash is also handy for this. Helps to cut it into rings before baking so that it doesn't get soft and watery.

We've really enjoyed Italian sausage with peppers and onions, with a side of spaghetti squash topped with basil Alfredo.

Now it doesn't have to be complicated, the recipes are just to add variety.

A lot of people just eat a meat and vegetables. Real basic.
Hell, some people just eat mostly hot dogs! Not wise, but it works and you can get a lot of the benefits.

Chicken salad, tuna salad make good lunch items. Eat with celery, carrots, pork skins, chips made from mostly cheese (not cheezeits..)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Great post Jeremy. I haven’t committed to full on Keto yet, but I’m close. I eliminated (as best I could) White sugar from my diet about 3 years ago and as of last Friday cut out all processed carbs (bread, pasta, rice). I also increased good fats beyond my morning Bullettproof coffee, mostly by increasing butter, coconut oil, eggs, and avocados, etc. I’ve always smacked on almonds, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds and I’m keeping protein pretty constant. I felt absolutely horrible for 3 days, and realized it might have been a touch of Keto Flu! Today I feel great, I’ll continue down the path and see how it goes. Not looking to lose much weight, just hoping to feel better.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Excercise..

You do NOT have to work out to lose a lot of weight and get all kinds of health benefits from eating keto...

That's part of why this is so great for most Americans.

BUT! You should seriously give it a try.
Even just 10 - 15 minutes of something in the morning. A video off prime or YouTube or something.

Or some good activity during the day, brisk walk, jumping Jack's, a real workout, just something.

It will speed up the process, improve your life and the way you feel like you wouldn't believe.

Improve your energy and sex life. Everything.

And as @gurgalunas said, building muscle helps you burn more calories constantly. It's truly a win win.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Great post Jeremy. I haven’t committed to full on Keto yet, but I’m close. I eliminated (as best I could) White sugar from my diet about 3 years ago and as of last Friday cut out all processed carbs (bread, pasta, rice). I also increased good fats beyond my morning Bullettproof coffee, mostly by increasing butter, coconut oil, eggs, and avocados, etc. I’ve always smacked on almonds, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds and I’m keeping protein pretty constant. I felt absolutely horrible for 3 days, and realized it might have been a touch of Keto Flu! Today I feel great, I’ll continue down the path and see how it goes. Not looking to lose much weight, just hoping to feel better.
Thanks. Nice! Glad to hear it Shawn. Sorry you weren't able to avoid the bad transition.

You'll probably be amazed at the ways it makes you feel better.

There's many I forgot to list at the top. Fewer headaches, allergies, aches and pains.
The energy increase...
Better sleep.
Less snoring. Eliminated my wifes sleep apnea.
It just goes on and on.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
re: Protein - I live on the Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate stuff
I love the ON Rocky Road....but I've forgone protein powder in this initial phase of the diet and get all my protein from meat and dairy sources.

And the scale doesn't even tell the whole story. You're gonna be amazed at how your clothes are fitting in the next few weeks.
That's the whole reason I haven't weighed myself since I started and use the mirror and how my pants fit to tell the story. I might have lost 8 pounds of fat but put on 4 pounds of muscle since the start of the diet. The scale would show I was down only 4 pounds...the mirror will tell the real story.