What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I miss the convenience of bread and pasta more then the actual bread and pasta.
Yep, they’re more of a conveyance for the good stuff. I’ve found I actually prefer zoodles over regular pasta for red sauce. And spaghetti squash for white sauce.

Fat head dough is amazing for “garlic bread “ or pizza crust.

The bread substitute recipes early in the thread really help when you have those cravings. And low carb tortillas work great in moderation.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
The salad recipe we love is based on Morton’s.

Baby spinach and spring greens. Cucumbers, green peppers , and red onions in about 1/4 inch cubes.

Diced carrots, broccoli, a few craisins, and I’ll take one or two croutons and crumble them over it for flavor.
Feta,or your preferred cheese,
A good vinaigrette and good to go.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I keep a large bowl of green beans, celery, cucumber, pickled hot pepper rings, sliced olives, garlic, oregano and chopped chives marinating in the fridge all the time. I spoon it over Sam's garden salad mix and baby spinach. May add a tablespoon of humus to make it creamy. I also sprout alfalfa and broccoli seeds to top off my salads,

Since I'm salt conscious the rest of the day I use a lot of pickled foods to make salads interesting.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
You guys are making me crave those carbs.... :LOL:

I've had pizza twice in 2020. Pasta twice. A couple burgers on non-gluten free buns. But my overall carb intake is probably 20% of what it was 2 years ago.

But I think imma need a pizza this month. :LOL:;)

Keep kickin' butt, Men. I promise to only cheat a little.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Checking in. Been down with the Rona the past ten days. No issues other than aches/chills on the onset. No issues with fever, loss of smell, my moderate to severe asthma, etc. Honestly believe the keto diet is now responsible for somewhat reduced inflammation, resulting in very clear lung activity. When I went in a week ago Monday to be tested, the DR. asked about any respiratory issues. I mention my asthma. She listened and listened to my lungs and actually told me if I hadn't mentioned asthma, she would not have guessed. Pretty powerful stuff.
Anywho, while not gonna post a current pic of the Dickey- do, rest assured that it is 1/2 the size of two months ago. I have figured out a couple things:
Pretty sensitive to sugar alcohols: I.E; swerve.
Gastrointestinal problems are always a joy, let me tell you. Swerve is the closest thing to sugar you can find, but with a pretty severe caveat if you are sensitive to such things.
Monkfruit and stevia are pretty artificial in taste, imo.
Enough of the negative. The pros are that my overall health has been going up, wife is still dropping pounds on a steady rate. Life is pretty alright.
And btw, Tom @icehog3 , I had to order another copy of Let there be rock, as i have a hankering for some Bon Scott. Lol. Arrived in the po box yesterday. About to go pick it up and rock out.
Been 19* here in Texas the past two days with around 1/2 to 1 inch of sleet and snow. Eductor fan on the furnace took a shit, so no purge= no light off of the heater. Replacement parts are enroute. Hopefully here today. Have a gas insert in the fireplace that keeps the living room around 62* not the end of the world, but still sucks.

EDIT: YES IT SNOWS IN TEXAS! Havent even lost the leaves on the trees this year.
the problem here in winter is the wind just changes direction, and still blows 20-30 mph from the North, with only a barbwire fence between us and the north pole to slow it down.
16038127400927346866483537849079.jpg

Last edited:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Checking in. Been down with the Rona the past ten days. No issues other than aches/chills on the onset. No issues with fever, loss of smell, my moderate to severe asthma, etc. Honestly believe the keto diet is now responsible for somewhat reduced inflammation, resulting in very clear lung activity. When I went in a week ago Monday to be tested, the DR. asked about any respiratory issues. I mention my asthma. She listened and listened to my lungs and actually told me if I hadn't mentioned asthma, she would not have guessed. Pretty powerful stuff.
Anywho, while not gonna post a current pic of the Dickey- do, rest assured that it is 1/2 the size of two months ago. I have figured out a couple things:
Pretty sensitive to sugar alcohols: I.E; swerve.
Gastrointestinal problems are always a joy, let me tell you. Swerve is the closest thing to sugar you can find, but with a pretty severe caveat if you are sensitive to such things.
Monkfruit and stevia are pretty artificial in taste, imo.
Enough of the negative. The pros are that my overall health has been going up, wife is still dropping pounds on a steady rate. Life is pretty alright.
And btw, Tom @icehog3 , I had to order another copy of Let there be rock, as i have a hankering for some Bon Scott. Lol. Arrived in the po box yesterday. About to go pick it up and rock out.
Been 19* here in Texas the past two days with around 1/2 to 1 inch of sleet and snow. Eductor fan on the furnace took a shit, so no purge= no light off of the heater. Replacement parts are enroute. Hopefully here today. Have a gas insert in the fireplace that keeps the living room around 62* not the end of the world, but still sucks.

EDIT: YES IT SNOWS IN TEXAS! Havent even lost the leaves on the trees this year.
the problem here in winter is the wind just changes direction, and still blows 20-30 mph from the North, with only a barbwire fence between us and the north pole to slow it down.
View attachment 155149
Damn man!! :jawdrop:

Good timing on getting the inflammatorys out it sounds like!

Straight erythritol or 50/50 erythritol & xylitol have been the ticket for me. No off taste, no gastro issues. But I did kind of step myself into them with my sweet tea.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
@redneck_toy

Dude, did you just say sugar alcohols caused your pride and joy to shrink to half size?

That would explain a lot, I though it was just from a lack of use?

BTW sorry about the virus. Hopefully it was/is just a mild case and doesn't hang around too long.
More like loose bowels. God, I hope the shrinky dinky ain't a side effect, god help me.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Damn man!! :jawdrop:

Good timing on getting the inflammatorys out it sounds like!

Straight erythritol or 50/50 erythritol & xylitol have been the ticket for me. No off taste, no gastro issues. But I did kind of step myself into them with my sweet tea.
Tea is where the issue is. I love a few cups of Earl Gray every day in the winter. Sounds gay, probably, but that Tea is the shit, IMO.
Early morning coffee is no problem. Have a Delonghi espresso machine, and have modified coffee to the following: TBSP of butter, TBSP coconut oil melted in microwave. Splash of half and half, warm some more, pour espresso.
Really miss the steamed milk, but I digress.
No sugars in the coffee, it's just the tea during the days. What exactly are you using, Jeremy?
Edit: two teaspoons of swerve is too much for my system.. lmao
The sugars you mentioned are readily available, no? We dont exactly have a whole foods readily available. Appreciate the help. Add that to the fact that I just send my wife on the way to the store......

Last edited:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Tea is where the issue is. I love a few cups of Earl Gray every day in the winter. Sounds gay, probably, but that Tea is the shit, IMO.
Early morning coffee is no problem. Have a Delonghi espresso machine, and have modified coffee to the following: TBSP of butter, TBSP coconut oil melted in microwave. Splash of half and half, warm some more, pour espresso.
Really miss the steamed milk, but I digress.
No sugars in the coffee, it's just the tea during the days. What exactly are you using, Jeremy?
Edit: two teaspoons of swerve is too much for my system.. lmao
The sugars you mentioned are readily available, no? We dont exactly have a whole foods readily available. Appreciate the help. Add that to the fact that I just send my wife on the way to the store......
These here. I order them from amazon. There’s one or two other brands I’ll interchange if they’re cheaper.F5746076-A71D-41F1-82B1-D96A0C1A5C0B.jpeg

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So, after several months, I'm about as far as I want to go with this diet. Feel pretty good. Thought I'd post a pic of the Dickey-Do one last time....
20201218_135047.jpg

Scale shows I'm down to 148#
( -10lbs total) as of today. Clothes fit better, health is good. Only caveats I've had are minor heart palpitations (racing sometimes), and I started noticing some muscle loss last week. I don't have much of that to lose.
The heart racing has been corrected by adding potassium chloride to my Keto aid, and making sure I drink one every single day.
Going to a modified/ low carb version of keto going forward.
Had my first Chic-fil-a sandwich in several months last week, and it was GOOD!
Never going back to my old eating habits, though.