What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Checking in guys. I've been a bit "modified" lately where I've been good during the weeks and then weekends are "normal" where I'm not nearly as bad as I used to be (won't eat fries or bread or buns etc) but might have some potatoes and Naan occasionally etc. Kinda curious and need to read on whether this is actually harming me or not but at least the weight has not come back. How's everything going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Paul @pbibby , too funny as I was just thinking of this thread today at the gym.

After almost 6 months of pretty hardcore Keto, I started adding some carbs in the beginning of June, and probably average 75 grams a day at this point. I have had a couple herf weekends in July where I didn't worry too much about carbs, but in general my extra carbs mostly consist of fruit, coconut water and the occasional gluten-free blueberry pancake.

My core has stayed close to as lean as when I first added the carbs, and I've put a few pounds of muscle back on.

Glad to hear you've been able to keep the weight off even with the modifications you've made.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Great news on you too sir! Do you ever notice that you don't feel as great the more carbs you eat? I get the carb sweats sometimes when I overdo it.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Great news on you too sir! Do you ever notice that you don't feel as great the more carbs you eat? I get the carb sweats sometimes when I overdo it.

Depends on the type of carbs....I find the gluten makes me feel bloated and sluggish more than ever now. The simple carbs don't seem to have a negative effect the way the gluten and complex carbs do.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So how’s everyone doing?

After getting below my goal in early summer, I eased up on the strictness a bit. Still keeping carbs minimized and trying to avoid wheat (with the exception of several new haven pizzas....)

But just by sticking with that protocol I’ve maintained a good goal weight for six months now, and kept away the heartburn and arthritis. Life is good.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Haven't been strict for quite some time. Added some carbs, though I'm still 95% gluten free. Core has remained lean while putting some muscle weight back on. I'll probably take another run at full Keto after the 1st of the year.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Bump up for those needing help with resolutions.... ;)

Bunch of us still losing or maintaining with this. Overall being healthier in a way that’s not hard to do or stick with.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Glad to see you're still at it @Glassman - I slacked off a little over the holidays and I'm back on the wagon as of today. Keto on!
This is me for the last few months. Back on it as of Monday the 30th

I haven’t been strict keto for a while now since hitting goal. I’ve been out of state for 5 months dealing with a big project.

But I’ve stuck with the general lifestyle/ eating shift. Just keeping bread and carbs very minimized. Eating only part of a bun, Eating in a smaller time window, etc.
It’s a little bit harder to do away from home long term. But doable. I’m only 5lbs over my ideal weight right now. So glad to be home and back to working out.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I also haven't been strict Keto for some time now, though I have maintained the low carbs and am essentially gluten free.

Had ice cream once in 2019.
Pizza 4 times.
Could count the times I had bread on one hand.
No pasta.

I've been talking about going back on Keto again early this year. Just need to get motivated to go that deep. (Phrasing)

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Starting day 4 of this myself. Wife has been on it for a month. Definitely have the keto flu. Feel lethargic, foggy thinking, headache. Damn near like a hangover.
Anyone who has met me knows I'm not a very big guy. 5-9, and 160# Have a small frame, so pretty close to optimal weight. My problem, like most 50-ish aged men is my gut. Love beer and lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle, except for golf.
Hoping feeling shitty goes away soon. Will add potassium and magnesium to the diet. Drink a ton of water every day.
Slowly going through all 29 pages of this thread

EDIT: Another big reason for me to go Keto is high blood pressure and cholesterol. They arent outrageously high, but on meds for both and have a high stress job. On top of that, I'm a tad high strung. Perfect recipe for a heart attack. Hoping both will come down as a result.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Starting day 4 of this myself. Wife has been on it for a month. Definitely have the keto flu. Feel lethargic, foggy thinking, headache. Damn near like a hangover.
Anyone who has met me knows I'm not a very big guy. 5-9, and 160# Have a small frame, so pretty close to optimal weight. My problem, like most 50-ish aged men is my gut. Love beer and lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle, except for golf.
Hoping feeling shitty goes away soon. Will add potassium and magnesium to the diet. Drink a ton of water every day.
Slowly going through all 29 pages of this thread

EDIT: Another big reason for me to go Keto is high blood pressure and cholesterol. They arent outrageously high, but on meds for both and have a high stress job. On top of that, I'm a tad high strung. Perfect recipe for a heart attack. Hoping both will come down as a result.

Hey! This is me as well, except I'm 30 and not yet on meds....lol

Curious to hear your thoughts as you go through this. I promise you if you stick to it, the gut will go. I'm also curious how your numbers will be when you get to where you want. I'd def add some strength training to your list as well, as I felt like when I was on it I lost some muscle mass too.

I'm needing to get back on this train as well. I need to work on my BP and Cholesterol numbers and have been a bit gun shy about them. Need to get back towards some semblance of keto, even if not strict.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hey! This is me as well, except I'm 30 and not yet on meds....lol

Curious to hear your thoughts as you go through this. I promise you if you stick to it, the gut will go. I'm also curious how your numbers will be when you get to where you want. I'd def add some strength training to your list as well, as I felt like when I was on it I lost some muscle mass too.

I'm needing to get back on this train as well. I need to work on my BP and Cholesterol numbers and have been a bit gun shy about them. Need to get back towards some semblance of keto, even if not strict.
I'll post up throughout my journey for sure. Just watched The Magic Pill documentary about the keto diet. Great show. One thing I thought of this morning about reducing inflammation:
I have had asthma all my life. Its progressively gotten worse through the years. Anyway, did some reading on the subject, and it does in fact, help asthma. A girl in the video got completely off her asthma meds. That alone is worth the effort to change. Been using corticosteroid inhalers for the past 25 years. They are currently $90 a pop for a 30 day supply AFTER insurance.
Pretty exciting stuff

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Getting back to calorie counting this week and then once we're done helping a friend work on home remodeling Ill get to some intermittent fasting as well.

The gym has started back up but not as steady as I want yet. Again weird schedule is messing with it some.