What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
@redneck_toy , the "flu" lasted almost 2 weeks for me, but then I was good. Worked out on adrenaline and anger those first too weeks, didn't have much else.

I haven't been strict Keto for over a year, but maintained the super low carb lifestyle and and almost completely gluten free. The gluten free part has also improved my inflammation and respiratory help, as I am guessing that part of Keto may improve your asthma as well. I wish you luck!

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Started making "ketoaid" yesterday. Half a lime, pinch of Himalayan salt, and a pinch of nu- salt in 16 oz. of water. Feel better waking up this morning. Ate 2 eggs, ham, and cheese for breakfast and downed it with some Keto coffee.
Will drink a ketoaid before I head to the golf course.
Lasts night meal was keto biscuits and gravy and a small spinach salad. For lunch, had some left over Keto Alfredo sauce smothered chicken and brocolli with parmesan, and 5 jalapeno poppers. That meal was really good

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not trying to nose around in your personal business but are any of you on the Keto diet Diabetic? As a Type 2 I've been low carb, good fats (olive oil), lean meat - lots of fish, raw vegetables (filing and the roughage helps in the morning), legumes, nuts and low fat dairy for years. All my numbers are excellent except for when I stray and indulge in bagels or the occasional sandwich and then my blood sugar shoots up real quick.

So I guess the only difference between what I am doing and the Keto is the amount of animal fat Keto incorporates. How are your cholesterol numbers and energy levels on Keto. My other question is do you consider Keto a long term diet or do you just use it to drop the weight and then return to a more varied diet?

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
@Boudie , I cant answer all your questions directly, but the wife and I have decided to make this diet a lifestyle change. I dont have diabetes, but have a spare tire gut, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and asthma.. a lot of people that stick to this have come off all meds for all three conditions. Watched a documentary last night when a lady with type 2 came completely off her insulin after 6 months.
Documentary is called The Magic Pill, and can only be found on youtube anymore, with spanish subtitles. Great show if you're interested.
Maybe some of the long term guys will chime in about long term effects

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Against my better judgement, gonna post up a current pic of me and my gut, in all its glory. Plan on taking a pic semi regularly for documentation. Shield your eyes, fellas!
Might not look too bad at first glance, but it's definitely a "Dicky-do" (My belly sticks out farther than my dicky do) Lol
20200922_160935.jpg

Last edited:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
After a little under 2 weeks of strict Keto, my energy came back and all physical activity improved. My cholesterol is excellent (both HDL and LDL). Weight came off quickly after my body adjusted to fats for energy.

I did strict Keto for just under 6 months. Most days I took in less than 10 grams of net carbs, so that's pretty crazy low. For me, it was a tool to get rid of the gut I got after breaking my leg in a hockey game and then a kidney injury. I was basically off my feet for 6 months, so even though I ate relatively healthy, I was forced to be sedentary and it all went to my belly.

I was fairly low carb before all this and Keto, and one of the benefits from Keto I have stuck with is much lower carbs. I'm also 95% gluten free (I have a bun every now and then, and I had pizza in March, lol). And I take in a lot more nuts (phrasing) than I ever did as well.

So for me, Keto was a (kinda) short term solution rather than a permanent lifestyle change, though as I said above I have kept some of those changes in a permanent way. I wouldn't hesitate to go Keto again if I needed it, but praying I won't have any more circumstances that make me.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Not trying to nose around in your personal business but are any of you on the Keto diet Diabetic? As a Type 2 I've been low carb, good fats (olive oil), lean meat - lots of fish, raw vegetables (filing and the roughage helps in the morning), legumes, nuts and low fat dairy for years. All my numbers are excellent except for when I stray and indulge in bagels or the occasional sandwich and then my blood sugar shoots up real quick.

So I guess the only difference between what I am doing and the Keto is the amount of animal fat Keto incorporates. How are your cholesterol numbers and energy levels on Keto. My other question is do you consider Keto a long term diet or do you just use it to drop the weight and then return to a more varied diet?
I'll be curious on this as well. I am not diabetic and didn't have a ton of weight to lose either. What I found though was I did lose 15-20 pounds on strict keto and almost all of that fat. I definitely should have done more weight training. The reason I'm curious to hear these answers too is I had a high cholesterol reading after being on keto. I was concerned because that had never happened before. It sucked because I feel so much better when doing it. Definitely have to watch the fat in the diet tho personally too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
fell of my calorie restrictions last night (chinese for dinner and I didn't moderate) and a McD's breakfast this AM.

I'll skip lunch and do better at dinner tonite and at least be within my numbers - although my macros will be shit!

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Against my better judgement, gonna post up a current pic of me and my gut, in all its glory. Plan on taking a pic semi regularly for documentation. Shield your eyes, fellas!
Might not look too bad at first glance, but it's definitely a "Dicky-do" (My belly sticks out farther than my dicky do) Lol
View attachment 154071
A few minute of planks every day will tighten that gut up in no time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Passed the one week mark on the diet this weekend. Scale shows 2# loss, but the pants are definitely fitting better, and mirror shows the belly has shrunk as well. Been doing a few planks most days, and getting my walking in everyday. Somewhat cheated with alcohol while playing golf this weekend. Two shots of vodka in a white monster energy. While not technically cheating, (monster has 7gr. carbs per can) your liver stops producing ketones while processing alcohol. One cool side effect from keto is my tolerance for alcohol had dropped dramatically.
I used to drink 5-6 beers per round to maintain a moderate buzz. ( swing lube helps my game a lot) That 2 shots of vodka now are more than enough to produce the same effect.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Just thought I'd check in.
Three weeks in, I've lost 5 lbs., but more importantly, the pants fit a lot better, and the belly has shrunk noticeably. Thw wife has found a bunch of great recipes for us. Overall, it's been a fairly easy transition other than about 10 days of keto flu and a touch of insomnia. We just bought a new memory foam mattress, so this is contributing to the lack of sleep as well.
It's a little early, but it seems like my asthma is doing better. Still using the corticosteroid inhaler twice a day, but have hardly touched the rescue.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
As promised, a three week update pic. I honestly have not cut all beer out. Just too hard with as much golf as I play. I did switch to the zero taste Michelob Ultra ( bleh) Still, there is a noticable shrinking of the spare tire gut. At least it's not totally embarrassing like before, no pregnant Ethiopian thoughts. Enjoy. And I dont wanna hear about anybody's cousin getting these pics while serving time. Ignorance is bliss....
Lol
20201013_055936.jpg

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
@redneck_toy Luckily you can have bourbon, without issue, but any alcohol does slow metabolism and loss. As far as beers go, when I’m trying to be good I stick with Slightly Mighty from dogfishhead tasty and less than 4g carbs. Or Bells light hearted (8g carbs).

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
For those of you worried about cholesterol, ease up on the fats the day before and of testing, that will lower the numbers.

But it’s looking like cholesterols are not the harbingers of danger they were thought to be. Unfortunately the medical community is VERY slow to catch up to the science.
I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the problem is arterial damage from inflammatory foods (sugar, wheat etc) combined with An improper micronutrient balance, which is fixed by eating healthy foods. Having the correct amount of copper,magnesium and zinc (from veggies, nuts, meat) allows the calcium to go to the bones instead of binding and creating plaque in the arteries.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
@redneck_toy Luckily you can have bourbon, without issue, but any alcohol does slow metabolism and loss. As far as beers go, when I’m trying to be good I stick with Slightly Mighty from dogfishhead tasty and less than 4g carbs. Or Bells light hearted (8g carbs).
Been drinking vodka. Tito's, or Dripping Springs. Not really a big whiskey guy. Wife says I get mean on it, for what that's worth. (Not physically aggressive) As far as beer goes, miller lite is my go to. Our town is so small, the only beers available are the popular American Pilsners and Mexican brews. Had to drive 40 miles round trip just to get Guinness...