What's new

Kindle

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Who's got one? Picked up a Kindle 3 recently and just finished my first book on it. I didn't have any issues at all adjusting to reading on the Kindle and I really like the fact that I can now jump right into another book that's already loaded and know that when I'm done there I've got a few more waiting in the wings for me. I just love the idea of being able to carry around an entire library with me. Of course that means shelling out for some of my old favorites at some point so I can have them on the Kindle. Great battery life. It's been just over a week of mixed WiFI and no-WiFI usage along with a few hours of using the light built into the case and I'm down to half charge. I probably turned WiFi off about half way through the week and I suspect, as the battery is supposed to last a month without using WiFi, that the use of the built in light has a pretty big effect on draining the battery.

I was really holding out for an iPad, but I just couldn't justify the cost....er, more to the point, I couldn't get the wife to agree to the cost. :stickbeat Especially when we were able to get an e-reader for each of us for less than the cost of the iPad. Someday. But until them, I'm quite happy.

Who else has one? Your thoughts?
Be glad you held out for the Ipad since the Ipad2 is comming soon!

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
I have the newer kindle three with the six inch screen. It's easy on the eyes and even with a nice cover it's still smaller and lighter than most paperbacks. And you can load literally thousands of books. I also loaded a couple hours of movie scores on the kindle since it will play mp3s... Not a ton of room so I didn't go nuts but a few instrumental songs I can loop enhances the experience for me.

I also hacked the screensavers and got rid of the dead authors using a readily available software package online... Now I have a bunch of cool cigar art and pinup girls in the rotation instead... Ha ha!

Google: kindle screen saver hack

Click on the mobileread link and you'll find the instructions.

I love the thing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
no kindle, but have a nook. (stop snickering you bozos) didn't think i'd ever give up regular books for an e reader, but i love the convenience.

Nook.....is that anywhere near the cranny???? I searched every nook and cranny and couldn't find my lighter.................... Hey Bob........can you check your nook for my lighter??????:dunno::peace::applause::ccool::bigeyes::cbig:

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My wife bought me a nook wifi 3G for our anniversary 2 weeks ago. I have read about 9 books so far. I just finished the Adventures of Tom Sawyer last night. She researched the nook and Kindle and went with nook because of:
Ability to replace the battery without sending it in
Longer battery life
Saving books to the nook
Better reviews
Not knocking on the Kindle at all. I have friends who like both. I would highly recommend the nook based off my experience. My mother-in-law has the nook color and I have messed with it a little and it is pretty cool.

Bowhnter

Backyard Smoker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just started reading a book on my wife's new kindle last night...As she said too, it seems like we read faster on it, anyone notice this?

Was going to get her a color nook this past weekend, but they are too heavy. Will wait for the color Kindle out later this year.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My wife has a kindle 2 I bought her for Christmas a couple of years ago. I've been thinking of getting one to help me study for a national certification exam I'll be taking this summer (No textbook, lot's of PDFs in the online course). I've heard the new IPAD is supposed to have the kindle like screen and I might hold out and see.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
My wife bought me a nook wifi 3G for our anniversary 2 weeks ago. I have read about 9 books so far. I just finished the Adventures of Tom Sawyer last night. She researched the nook and Kindle and went with nook because of:
Ability to replace the battery without sending it in
Longer battery life
Saving books to the nook
Better reviews
Not knocking on the Kindle at all. I have friends who like both. I would highly recommend the nook based off my experience. My mother-in-law has the nook color and I have messed with it a little and it is pretty cool.
I can't knock the nook (ummm...yeah). Though really, I think it's major benefit is that it utilizes the most common formats for ebooks whereas the Kindle uses a proprietary format. So with the Nook you have more available including library ebook download rentals, which the Kindle doesn't have.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
My wife has a kindle 2 I bought her for Christmas a couple of years ago. I've been thinking of getting one to help me study for a national certification exam I'll be taking this summer (No textbook, lot's of PDFs in the online course). I've heard the new IPAD is supposed to have the kindle like screen and I might hold out and see.
You can get PDFs on to the Kindle, but it's not one of their completely supported formats. You either have to email the PDF to your kindle email address so they can reformat and send it to your Kindle or get yourself one of the various software programs that will do the conversion for you.

As to the iPad having an e-ink style display (that's the type the Kindle has), it would have to be color and so far, the only color e-ink display that's made it out to the public eye has failed to impress. Unless there is a much better option that has been kept under wraps I doubt very seriously that Apple would consider it. You might get an even better lcd screen, along the lines of the retina screen on the iPhone4, but that woudl be about it I would think.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I just started reading a book on my wife's new kindle last night...As she said too, it seems like we read faster on it, anyone notice this?

Was going to get her a color nook this past weekend, but they are too heavy. Will wait for the color Kindle out later this year.
Yes, definitely noticed that I seem to read faster.

Where are you hearing about the color Kindle? I've heard rumors and hopes, but the last thing I saw said we would be lucky to even see a new Kindle this year, let alone color.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Here's a review of the first color e-ink equipped reader that came out. Everything I've read about it says, "meh". I'm not saying they won't try it, I'm just not sure the technology is there yet.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here's a review of the first color e-ink equipped reader that came out. Everything I've read about it says, "meh". I'm not saying they won't try it, I'm just not sure the technology is there yet.
4096 colors is not worth it, IMO, and what color there was looked washed-out and dull. The thing's way too big, too - if I wanted something that size I'd get an iPad.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I really want the nook color but when I think about it I only want to use the device to read. While magazines and newspapers would be nice I mostly read books and like the realistic way the screen is. My only problem with my nook is the lack of a backlight. You have to have a light to read in the dark which I do a lot. With the color device there is no need for a light source since the screen lights up.

I might revisit the color reader idea when the Kindle comes out in a color version.

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One of the reasons I'm getting an android is so I don't have to have so many different devices beside my phone and my computer.... Oh yeah, and the Kindle app

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
no kindle, but have a nook. (stop snickering you bozos) didn't think i'd ever give up regular books for an e reader, but i love the convenience.
Got the wife the Nook Color. She says best gift ever. Loves it.